New Milford is a historic New England town situated on the western side of Connecticut. It is the largest town in CT (62 square miles) and is just under 2 hours away from New York City.
New Milford, Connecticut is a small country town in the southwest part of the state. It is a relaxing town that is very populated by locals. This wouldn’t be someone’s typical spot to visit, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t plenty of fantastic things to do. For people who prefer a calm environment, friendly people, and a safe area to adventure, New Milford would be a place you would want to stop into. The town is full of lots of heritage, and is scenically appealing. Though this town is becoming more developed as time goes by, it still keeps that old-fashioned town look in certain areas. New Milford is a good town to get away from the hectic city living style.
The town center consists of small shops and boutiques that are all very affordable. There are also a large variety of restaurants including Mexican, American, and Italian. The town green is a nice place to walk around and enjoy the outdoors especially in the summertime. If you are visiting during the summer, make sure to check the green to see if the village fair is being held.
The town is very safe area and there is generally a good amount of locals enjoying the nightlife. Bars in this area have a relaxed feel to them and are very affordable as well. Being situated in the center of Candlewood Valley, the rolling hills that surround the town are very pleasant to look at during any season of the year. Multiple parks in the area provide a place where you can enjoy views of the area as well as places to hike or have a picnic.
The prosperity of this town relies a lot upon its locally owned businesses and restaurants so it is a nice place to get away from chain businesses. This also means that each place that you decide to visit, you will be having a unique experience that will leave you satisfied.
New Milford is a welcoming town and the locals like to meet people from out of town. Much of the downtown area still has authentic looking building fronts from the early 1900’s which adds a nice touch of history in your experiences you have during your visit.
The recommended way to get into New Milford. Coming from the East, I-84 to route 7 will lead you straight to the center of town. Also an alternate route through Southbury on route 67 is a faster choice especially during rush hour. This route will take you through the back roads of surrounding towns of Southbury and Roxbury and gives a nice view of the hills surrounding New Milford.
When traveling to New Milford the most common use of transportation to this area is by car. It is easy to locate from many different locations. When coming from other parts of Eastern Connecticut or Western Connecticut and New York you would take I-84 East or West depending on ones direction of travel, and take exit 7 straight through until New Milford. Just recently and overpass was made to continue Exit 7(also known as Super 7 or Route 7) all the way to New Milford. Coming from other towns that are North of New Milford, the main road to travel on would be Route 202, which will lead you into the center of town and further connect you to Route 7.
- Westchester County Airport is a medium sized airport in Westchester County, with flights coming and going nationwide. It is about 60 minutes away.
- Stewart International Airport is a medium sized airport in Newburgh, NY, with flights going to Philadelphia, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Atlanta, and Detroit. It is about 80 minutes away
- Tweed New Haven Regional Airport is a small airport in New Haven, with a flight going to Philadelphia. It is about 80 minutes away
- Bradley International Airport is located outside Hartford, CT and is just over an hour drive from the center of New Milford. Flights arrive from places all over the world so you shouldn't have a hard time finding the right flight for you. The airport has a wide range of car rental services as well as shuttles that take you to their locations. Among these services are Enterprise, Hertz, and Thrifty. To reserve a car in advance, you can either call their 800 number that is provided on Bradley airport's website (www.bradlyairport.com/Transport/rental.aspx) or on the website of the rental service that you choose.
- LaGuardia Airport is a major airport in Queens, NYC, with dozens of flights going worldwide. It is about 90 minutes away
- JFK Airport is a major airport in Queens, NYC, with dozens of flights going worldwide. It is about 100 minutes away
- Newark International Airport is a major airport in Newark, NJ, with dozens of flights going worldwide. It is about 2 hours away
From New Milford to an airport the estimated travel time ranges from 1- 2 hours not including given time for traffic or weather conditions.
The center of New Milford is a very walkable place. It is harder to walk anywhere else.
In the center of town every place is within walking distance, and when traveling down Route 7 places are also within walking distance, but being located off a busy main road it makes it a little more difficult.
The main way to get around is by car. Car rental places include:
- Enterprise -40 Danbury Rd, (860) 350-3855
The great thing about New Milford is that it’s an easy town to travel and get around too. Every location in this town is accessible by car or within walking distance. If a traveler needs to rent a vehicle they would go to Enterprise 40 Danbury Road (860) 350-3855 or Hertz 83 Danbury Road (860) 355-3761 both located on Route 7 in New Milford.
- The Village Green is the center of town and is the location of various events that go on throughout the year. During the summer, the Village Fair Days is held for 3 days and vendors and businesses from New Milford and surrounding areas set up tents and display their products. This is a very kid friendly atmosphere because there are activities set up throughout the day ranging from bingo to live music. Also a great time to try out some local food from the fire departments and local restaurants. The fair generally runs from 9am-9pm. During the winter, the christmas trees that stretch down the entire middle of the green have a lighting ceremony and caroling is held in the iconic gazebo which is on New Milford's flag.
The center of town, which locals refer to as “The Green”, offers many different places to stop by in. Whether one wants to shop, take a walk, go see a movie, grab a bite to eat, or visit the library you will not have to travel any where farther then was is located on this strip of Main Street, Bank Street, and Railroad Street.
Some of the locations you can visit on the green are: Robinson Jewelers, Star Nails, Swank on Bank, Joes Hair Salon, The Book Nook, Nordica Toys, Tivoli Restaurant, 59 Bank restaurant, All Aboard Pizzeria and Ice Cream Parlor, Salsa Mexican Restaurant, The Sweet Spot, Bank Street Coffee House, Village Center For the Arts, The Public Library, Bike Express, Spruce Home and Garden, and The Barkery Boo’tique. As you can see there are many different types of stores and a few good restaurants all within a five-minute walking radius.
- Bank Street is located right off of the Village Green and contains various shops and restaurants. Film location for the movie Mr. Deeds starring Adam Sandler.
New Milford is stationed in a more scenic country area, there are many outdoor activities that people take part in. For instance, there are numerous parks and outdoor areas for people to visit and take walks, run, and hikes at. First, one of the most popular places many locals and visitors like to go is Lovers Leap, which has just recently been made into a State Park. Lovers Leaps main attraction is the newly restored iron bridge that is a vibrant red that catches many visitors eyes when driving through town. At this location there are also hiking and walking trails along with a picnic area and lots of free space to do outdoors activities. The Lovers Leap Bridge has a beautiful view casting over the Housatonic River.
- Lovers Leap State Park is located off of Grove St. and is a great place to hike.
Also in New Milford there are many town parks, and some that offer hiking and running trails for their visitors. Clatter Valley and Harrybrook Park have vast spaces and picnic areas such as lovers leap but can accommodate many more people.
Then there is the New Milford Town Park, which offers all the basic park necessities such as; a playground, swing set, basketball courts, tennis courts, open fields, and baseball fields. But the New Milford town park also includes a skate park that was built by New Milford residents both adults and children. The town park is located, and is within walking distance of the center of town. The
The location of New Milford is so fantastic, because it is also near many neighboring hiking sites and State Parks. Only within 30 minutes from the Center of New Milford you can visit both Bulls Bridge and Kent Falls State Parks. Both are great hiking areas in Kent, Connecticut. These areas are beautiful and peaceful and offer trails for people to run, walk, hike, and bike on.
For places to shop one just needs to travel down Route 7 where many new plazas have begun to develop and open new stores. Down Route 7 stores you can find would be the following: Wal-Mart, Kohl’s, Big Lots, Big Y, Multiple Tattoo Parlors, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Rite Aid, Stop and Shop, Radio Shack, GameStop, TJ Maxx, Olympia Sports, Home Goods, Stingy Butts Tobacco Shop, Nail and Hair Salons. Route 7 is where you can go to find your essentials you need for traveling or for general stores you find in many areas.
- The main thing to do in New Milford is to browse stores. New Milford has hundreds and hundreds of stores to look through.
- Visit the Bank Street Theaterwhich recently was remodeled and catch a movie. It has four theaters inside and plays a variety of new releases.
- The Elephants Trunk Flea Market is an outdoor flea market that is held every Sunday. Hundreds of vendors from the area and surrounding towns come and set up a tent to sell their items. This is located on the corner of Candlewood Lake Road S and Danbury Rd. (Route 7) just past the high school.
- Swim in Candlewood Lake at Lynn Deming Park or lounge in the soft sand and catch a tan.
- Visit Youngs Field on Youngfield Rd, which includes a tennis court, a softball field, skate park, and a playground overlooking the Housatonic River
- Hike at Clatter Valley, a park with a large field and forest area great for hiking. This is a good place for gatherings.
- Play golf at the Candlewood Valley Country Club. For Tee times, call 860-354-9359 ext. 12.
- The Bridgewater Fair is held at the end of every summer. Just a short drive from the center of town, it is held behind the fire station in Bridgewater. Here vendors set up and sell everything ranging from beef jerky to custom handbags. Also, the food is great here especially if you are a fan of roast beef, BBQ, or just a classic hot dog and fries. There is different live entertainment every day that the fair is held. Pig races, tractor pulls, dirt bike jumping, and of course live music are among some of the live events. If you are visiting in August, look out for the Bridgewater fair bumper stickers to see if you are there on the right weekend.
- Bowl at Lore's lanes. Great activity to do with kids during the day. Friday and Saturday appeals to an older crowd because it is “glow bowl” night. At 9pm the lights go down in the alley and black lights and disco balls are turned on along with the popular music of today. $17 a person plus shoe rental. Open until 1am. (860) 350-2695
- Skin Deep Ink Tattoo is one of the best tattoo shop in New Milford. Owner Mark Duhan and tattoo artist John Kang provide a friendly environment and top quality work. Specializing in new school and realism, the creativity and talent of both artists will leave you more than satisfied with their work. 60 Park Lane Road(Route 202 near Park Lane East) (860)-350-8282.
- Walmart (General Needs) -164 Danbury Rd, (860) 350-4823
- Staples (Office Supplies) -122 Danbury Rd, (860) 355-1012
- TJ Maxx (Clothes) -124 Danbury Rd, (860) 355-8302
- Blockbuster (Video) - 3 Kent Rd(860) 350-1606
- Home Depot - 104 Danbury Rd, (860) 350-0304
- Rings End -140 Danbury Rd, (860) 355-5566
- Big Y Foods -1 Kent Rd, (860) 355-2628
- Stop & Shop -180 Danbury Rd, (860) 355-3234
- Northville Market -301 Litchfield Rd, (860) 355-2667
- Food Mart -31 Bridge St (860) 350-2752
- CVS Pharmacy -40 East Main St, (860) 354-4455
- Big Y New Milford Pharmacy -2 Bank St, (860) 354-5554
- Rite-Aid -173 Danbury Rd, (860) 354-6313
- Walmart Pharmacy -164 Danbury Rd, (860) 350-4815
- Stop and Shop Pharmacy -180 Danbury Road, (860) 355-3763
- Bank Street Book Nook -a small bookstore. 50 Bank St, (860) 354-3865
- The Bent Page-a rare and used book store.
- New Milford Music Store -An instrument rental and sales store, 60 Bank St, (860) 354-6481
- Nordica -A small toy store. 15 Main St, (860) 355-2034
- Hobbytown USA -A great place for hobbyists and card collectors. 168 Danbury Rd, (860) 355-3000
- Play Toys and Gifts -a neat store on Bank St. 49 Bank St, (860) 355-2134
- 7 Antiques - 453 Danbury Rd, (860) 355-8021
- Mike Antiques and Used Furniture -209 Kent Rd, (860) 355-0011
- Hank's Used Furniture and antiques -266 Kent Rd, (860) 355-9073
- Focal Point -36 Bank St, (860) 355-0081
- Blast From The Past -25 Church St # 1, (860) 354-3517
- Primitive Home -312 Danbury Rd # 1, (860) 354-5933
- Retro -266 Kent Rd # D, (860) 355-1975
- American Classic Cars LLC -569 Danbury Rd, (860) 210-9024
- Just In Antiques & More, 487 Danbury Road, ☎ 2032401976, . An interesting mix of unique antiques and collectibles. Right across the street from the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market edit
- Nordica Toys, 7 Main St, ☎ 860-355-2034, . edit
There are many places one can go to grab a quick bite to eat at chain brand restaurants located mainly on Route 7 of New Milford, but there are some restaurants that New Milford is proud to have as their own. New Milford also has a few delicious delis where you can grab breakfast and lunch sandwhiches such as Route 7 Deli, Midway Market Deli, and Primos Deli which a mix of American and Hispanic foods. One of the town’s most favorite place to grab a meal would be The Cookhouse, which provides barbeque styled cooking with very friendly staff and customers. The cookhouse is a casual and fun place to go and eat a good home cooked and barbeque style food, and it is located on Route 7. All Aboard Pizzeria and Ice Cream Parlor is a great location to go if one is looking for a good slice of pizza, maybe before or after a movie since it is located on Railroad Street in the center of town. Now if you travel North of New Milford up Route 202 you will find even more great restaurants that many people don’t know about until they discover them. The White Horse Country Pub and Restaurant is an excellent place to grab a bite of many different kinds. They offer food ranging from Burgers and fries, to British Bangers and Mash, to Chicken Pot Pie, to Fresh Salads, to house specialties of all different sorts. The White Horse is located on a small River the runs through the back of the restaurant, and in the warmer months there are seats available outside. This is also a great location to go at night to visit the Pub side and enjoy a drink at the bar. Needless to say it is hard to enter this restaurant and leave unsatisfied. Also when travelling down Route 202, leaving the New Milford area (but still only with 20 minutes from the center of town) you will come across a Bohemian Pizza Restaurant called Dittos. People who love pizza would prefer this type of food, especially since it isn’t your typically pizzeria. This restaurant has many unique styled pizzas that they make right there in their wood fired ovens. It is a very casual environment for everyone. Also, a great thing about New Milford is that there are many small towns surrounding that have unique non-chain brand restaurants around.
New Milford has hundreds of restaurants, including BBQ, Family, Italian, Mexican, Seafood, and more. Most restaurants are located on Danbury Rd.
Italian and Pizza
- Palma Restaurant. 122 Litchfield Rd, (860) 354-7727
- The Brickhouse. 33 Danbury Rd, (860) 354-9192
- Marathons is a good pizza place. 475 Danbury Rd, (860) 354-1234
- Holiday Restaurantis a hidden gem of New Milford. Located in Big Y plaza off of Route 7, this Italian/Pizza restaurant serves up some of the best Italian food in the area. Not many people know about it when they come to town so generally there aren't many people in there. If you are looking for a quiet environment and good, affordable Italian eats then I highly recommend this restaurant. 17 Veterans plz, (860) 354-9393
- Carmela's is an Italian restaurant in the north part of town. 354 Litchfield Rd, (860) 355-2771
- Italia Mia is the local Italian food hotspot. Being a freestanding building off of Route 7, this restaurant tends to attract more visitors than other Italian restaurants in town. It is a little more pricy depending on what you decide to get but it is worth the money because the food here is amazing. 223 Danbury Rd , (860) 355-9221
- Ristorante Lucia is conveniently located in the town center. 51 Bank St, (860) 355-510
- The Upper Crust is located in Northville which is about a five minute drive from the center of town. This restaurant provides an elegant atmosphere and the widest variety of gourmet pizzas. The pizza is awesome here and the Italian dishes that are served here are also very tasty as well. 373 Litchfield Rd, (860) 350-0006
- All Aboard Pizza is known in New Milford for its wide range of gourmet pizzas and calzones. This business is right on Railroad St. The inside is clean and has a flat screen tv that usually has a sports game on or highlights from past games on. Great place for a large gathering or a party, also a kid friendly environment because they provide crayons and paper for them. 14 Railroad St, (860) 354-9552
- Oriental House has amazing Chinese food in the town center. 44 East St, (860) 355-5882
- Main Moon Has good cheap Chinese food. 48 Kent Rd #2, (860) 355-9629
- New Main Moon is small, but conveniently located on the Green. 27 Main St #3, (860) 355-2518
- Panda Empire is a large restaurant with good selection. 254 Danbury Rd, (860) 350-8888
- Great Wall has good Chinese food. 40 Danbury Rd #C, (860) 354-8855
- New Milford Chinese Restaurant is also located near the town center. 1 Kent Rd (Big Y Plaza), (860) 350-5435
Diner and Sandwich
- The Windmill Diner is a friendly diner with good, cheap food. 245 Dambury Rd (860) 354-1218
- Three Brothers Restaurant is a diner with good selection. 79 Danbury Rd, (860) 355-9269
- The Cookhouse has award winning ribs and great American BBQ foods. I recommend trying the pulled pork sandwich which is topped off with a serving of their homemade cole slaw. Anything you order off the menu is always good and cooked to perfection. 31 Danbury Rd, (860) 355-4111
- Friendly's is a chain restaurant with good food and an ice cream shop. 108 Danbury Rd, (860) 355-0826
- Adrienne's is a comfortable restaurant with a good selection of food. 218 Kent Rd, 860-354-6001
- Rudy's Restaurant is a good restaurant with many suggestions. 122 Litchfield Rd, (860) 354-7727
- Joe's Seafood Restaurant is a small, cozy seafood restaurant. 188 Danbury Rd , (860) 355-2255
- Salsa is a southwest/mexican restaurant right off of Railroad St. in the center of town. All ingredients are local and bought on the same day it is cooked so every meal is as fresh as you can get. One feature that this restaurant has is the variety of homemade salsas including chipotle, habanero, and green chilli salsas. It is a small little restaurant but if you are going during the week you shouldn't have a problem finding a table. If you want to be really safe, call in advance to reserve a table. 54 Railroad St, (860) 350-0701
- McDonald's serves hamburgers and french fries with a selection of healthy choices. 48 Danbury Rd, (860) 354-2356
- Subway serves subs and grinders, along with other foods. 139 Danbury Rd, (860) 355-0053
- Taco Bell serves tacos and other mexican food. 177 Danbury Rd, (860) 354-8000
- Arby's" serves roast beef and other food. 132 Danbury Rd, (860) 354-5227
- Nightlife : Also in New Milford there is a bowling ally, a movie theater, bars, and a billiard. The bowling ally Lore’s Lanes is located on the main road Route 7, this is also where many of the bars and Buster’s Billard is located. There is also a movie theater, called Bank Street Theater that is located on Bank Street, which is off of Main St in the center of town.
Bars in New Milford consist of Sole, 1st and 10 Sports Bar, Fajitas and Margaritas, and The Sports Page. It is not the most exciting nightlife scene since New Milford is just a quaint country town in Connecticut, but it can be made fun when traveling with the right people. Visitors who don’t find any interest in the nightlife in New Milford would be traveling to neighboring town, like Danbury.
- 1st and 10 Bar and Grill is one of the newer bars in New Milford located south of town off of Route 7. High definition TVs line the back of the bar along with two huge projectors that show any game that is on. Service here is so-so and sometimes you have to wait a bit to get your drinks. This restaurant has the longest bar in New Milford and has a wide selection of beers and liquor. It is about a 10-15 minute drive from the center of town. If you are willing to get out of downtown New Milford, it is worth the drive especially to watch a game. 507Danbury Road (860) 354-1800
- Sole is a new southwest style restaurant and bar right off of Railroad St. in the center of town. In the same location of the old restaurant Milanos, the owners of Sole have added some flair to downtown New Milford. Bright rope lighting lines the awning changing colors every few seconds. On the inside is a bar and sitting area that has the same bring color changing lights underneath and behind the bar. They usually have live entertainment every night, so this is definitely not a spot to go if you want a quiet environment. Entertainment is either a DJ or band. 10 Railroad St (203) 366-3330 .
- 59 Bank is a local hotspot with its warm low lit atmosphere and comfortable leather seated lounge area. The service here is good and you generally don't have to wait long to get a drink. Karaoke night is every Thursday, live music varies from night to night. This bar has a very relaxing environment and is nice to sit down and have a drink with friends without having to yell to each other to talk. 59 Bank St, (860) 350-5995
- The Sports Page is a small sports bar tucked away along the back roads of New Milford. Off of Elm St. this bar has many high definition TVs that are set up behind the bar so you won't miss any of the games that you want to watch. There are two bar areas, one is a bit smaller and has less TVs, the other is larger and has a lot more TVs. There's a pool table and some arcade games if you are trying to compete with your friends in the larger bar area. Wednesday nights are wing nights which means 25 cent wings. I recommend trying out their hot barbeque wings. It is a combination of their hot sauce and barbeque and they are some of the best wings in town. 35 Lanesville Rd, 860-350-0550.
In New Milford you will be able to find a few sleeping accommodations. In the center of town is the Heritage Inn, which offers a home styled rooms, and breakfast offered in the morning. Also the Homestead Inn located on Elm Street (also near the center of town) offers similar home styled accommodations as the Heritage Inn. There are also two motels located in New Milford The Red Carpet Motel, and the Rocky River Motel that offer the basic sleeping and hygiene accommodations. Larger hotels such as Best Western, Days Inn, Courtyard Marriot, Ethan Allen, and Hilton Garden are located in neighboring towns of Bethel and Danbury approximately 20- 30 minutes away.
- The Heritage inn off of Bridge St. Built in 1870, the Heritage inn provides spacious rooms and a quiet atmosphere. Since it is right off of Bridge street, you are in close walking distance to the shops and restaurants of downtown New Milford. Every morning is a continental breakfast provided for all of the guests. 1-(860) 350-3097
- Homestead Inn 5 Elm St 1 (866) 221-6537 (B&B)
Kent Rd (Northern New Milford)
- Rocky River Motel 236 Kent Rd (860) 355-3208
- Red Carpet Motel 244 Kent Rd (860) 350-2766
- The Cottages on Kent road is a series of cottages which include a bedroom with queen size bed, , a sleeper and sofa, 27 inch television with cable, full kitchen with appliances, WIFI included, second person free, third for increased rate, no pets, no smoking inside. November 1 to March 31 $1,344 for 4 weeks or more. April 1 to Octoer 31 $1595 for 4 weeks or more. $400 security deposit required is required. 1-(800)-THE-PLAN, ext 255
- The area code is (860) throughout the town, and the zip code is 06776
- The New Milford Public Library is the main source for free internet access
- The emergency number in New Milford, like most places in the country, is 911
- New Milford has a very low crime rate, so there is little to worry about. Just make sure to follow common sense rules, and you will be safe.
- It is best not to eat any fish out of the Housatonic River, due to the excess amounts of mercury.
- Danbury is about 30 minutes away, with the largest mall in the state
- New Haven is about 70 minutes away, with Yale University and the New Haven Harbor
- Hartford is about 80 minutes away, with the State Capitol and a variety of theaters
- New York City is about 130 minutes away with thousands of attractions
|Routes through New Milford
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
Wikipedia:New Milford, Connecticut