New London  is a city on the south eastern coast of Connecticut. It is most well-known for its rich maritime history and for being the location of the United States Coast Guard Academy and Connecticut College.
Interstate 95 serves New London.
Greyhound and Peter Pan/Arrow Bus Lines have daily scheduled services to New London from nearby and out-of-state locations.
Amtrak New London Station (NLC), 27 Water St, “+1 800” USA-RAIL, . NLC offers Acela Express service (first class service with business class seating, conference tables, cafe car and a seat cart service) and Regional service to and from East Coast cities. Much less expensive is the Shore Line East commuter train from New Haven; at New Haven, the trains are timed to meet Metro North commuter trains to/from New York.
- Port Jefferson Ferry, Phone: +1 631 473-5138, .
- From Orient Point, Long Island, New York
- Cross Sound Ferry, Phone: +1 631 323-2525 or Phone: +1 860 443-5281, .
- Bradley International Airport (BDL), 11 Schoephoester Rd (Exit 40 off I-91), Windsor Locks, Phone: +1 860 292-2000, , . About 1.5 hours away by car.
Regional Airport - No scheduled service - Only receive charter and private airplanes
- Groton-New London Airport, 155 Tower Ave, Groton, Phone: +1 860 445-8549, Fax: +1 860 448-1851, .
Due to New London's small size, traveling by car is the easiest way to get around. Taxis are a close second and very popular, but they can be costly.
- Discover New London Shuttle, Eugene O’Neill Drive at Golden St, New London, CT 06320. Phone: +1 860 443-1209.
- Port City Taxi, 33 Belden St, New London, CT 06320. Phone: +1 860 444-9222.
- SEAT (Southeast Area Transit), 21 Rt. 12, Preston, CT 06365. Phone: +1 860 886-2631.
- Connecticut College Arboretum, 270 Mohegan Ave, Phone: +1 860 439-5020, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, . Daily sunrise to sunset. Free guided tours on Su at 2PM from May to October. Price: Free unless taking a private tour. About: The Arboretum Plant collections are broken down into four areas: the Native Plant Collection, the Caroline Black Garden, the Connecticut College Campus, and the Greenhouse. They contain incredible diversity of plant life, from the epiphytes and orchids of the tropical greenhouse to the pitcher plants and red maples of the wetlands.
- Hempstead Houses, 11 Hempstead St, Phone: +1 860 443-7949. Open from mid-May through mid-October from 12PM-4PM. Colonial houses dating back as far as 1678.
- Lyman Allyn Art Museum, 625 Williams St, Phone: +1 860 443-2545, . Tu to Sa from 10AM-5PM and Su from 1PM-5PM. Adults: $8 / Seniors and Students: $7 / Children Under 12: FREE / New London Residents are free with ID. About: The permanent collections include over 10,000 paintings, drawings, prints, sculptures, furniture and decorative arts, with an emphasis on American art from the 18th through 20th centuries.
- Monte Cristo Cottage, 325 Pequot Ave, Phone: +1 860 443-0051. Open May 24 to September 1, Th to Sa from 12PM-4PM and Su from 1PM-3PM. General Admission: $7 / Members, Students, and Seniors: $5. About: Playwright Eugene O'Neill's home and setting for two of his plays.
- Garde Arts Center, 329 State St, Phone: +1 860 444-7373, . Ticket Prices: Vary with act. About: A restored Vaudeville/movie theatre with multiple arts programs.
- The United States Coast Guard Academy, 31 Mohegan Ave, Phone: +1 860 444-8444, . Tours, the academy museum, and watching the weekly Cadet Drill are points of interest. Call for information: +1 860 444-8444.
- The Coast Guard training tallship USCGC Eagle . She is the training ship for the future Coast Guard officers and is usually in port for part of the year and tours are available. Call for information: +1 860 444-8444.
- Ocean Beach Park, 1225 Ocean Ave, Toll-Free: +1 860 510-SAND (7263), Email: BCGOBP@aol.com, . Contains: Beach, boardwalk, pool, splash pool, waterslide, arcade, playground, rides, mini-golf, nature walk and observation deck. Nightly entertainment. Bring around $100/day for a family of four.
- El N Gee Club, 86 Golden St (near Bank Street), ☎ (860) 439-1033. A small venue hosting mostly hardcore and punk rock shows. There is a small bar fenced off to prevent underage drinking. There is a decent sized stage and a dance floor. Bands that have come through include Skarhead, Death Threat, Stressbomb, Crowns of Kings and many more. This venue has endured the test of time, originally hosting punk shows in the 70's and 80's. edit
- New London Antiques Center and Seaport Imports, 123 Bank St, Phone: +1 860 444-7498. New London's largest antique cooperative.
- Yah-Ta-Hey, 279 State St, Phone: +1 860 443-3204. A gallery of fine Native American art.
- Greene's Books and Beans, 140 Band St, Phone: +1 860 443-3312. Offers books and coffee.
- Parade News, 68 State St, Phone: +1 860 443-3786. Fine cigars, imported cigarettes, and smoking accessories; plus, find rare newspapers.
- Taj Boutique, 351 North Frontage Rd, Phone: +1 860 442-7444. One-of-a-kind clothing.
- Thames River Greenery, 70 Captain's Walk, Phone: +1 860 443-6817. Two floors of greenery and gourmet products plus a coffee bar.
- Brie and Bleu, 84 Bank St, Phone: +1 860 437-1204. Specialty cheeses and wine tastings.
- Caruso Music, 94 State St, Phone: +1 860 442-9600. Pianos, guitars, music lessons, audio equipment, banjos, DJ gear, and much more.
- New London Mall, 351 North Frontage Rd, Phone: +1 860 443-4423. Housewares, gifts, music, beauty, clothing, pet supplies, food, dining, and more.
- Tony D's, 92 Huntington St, Phone: +1 860 437-8800. Food: Italian and Continental. Price Range: $20/person on average.
- Singapore Grille and Sushi Bar, 938 Bank St, Phone: +1 860 442-3344. Food: Thai, Sinapore, and Sushi. Price Range: $25/person on average.
- The Bulkeley House Restaurant, 111 Bank St, Phone: +1 860 444-7753. Food: Fine American. Price Range: $30/person on average.
- Captain Scott's Lobster Dock, 80 Hamilton St, Phone: +1 860 439-1741. Food: Seafood. Price Range: $30/person on average.
- El Sombrero, 229 Jefferson Ave, Phone: +1 860 447-1101. Food: Mexican. Price Range: $25/person on average.
- The Broken Yolk, 825 Montauk Ave, Phone: +1 860 437-0898. Food: American Breakfast. Price Range: $15/person on average.
- Recovery Room, 445 Ocean Ave, Phone: +1 860 443-2619. Food: Italian and Pizza. Price Range: $20/person on average.
- Chili's Grill and Bar, 369 North Frontage Rd, Phone: +1 860 444-0335. Food: American Cuisine. Price Range: $20/person on average.
- Outback Steakhouse, 269 North Frontage Rd, Phone: +1 860 447-9205. Food: American Cuisine. Price Range: $20/person on average.
- Friendly's Ice Cream Shop, 175 Broad St, Phone: +1 860 443-1150. Everyone knows about Friendly's ice cream.
- Rita's Water Ice, 361 Coleman St, Phone: +1 860 444-1600. Craving frozen custard? There are a variety of flavors at Rita's!
- Michael's Dairy Downtown, 60 Bank St, Phone: +1 860 729-4866. Enjoy some ice-cream or frozen yogurt in this ice-cream parlor-style restaurant.
- Stash's Cafe, 95 Pequot Ave, Phone: +1 860 443-1095. A great night spot with pool tables, live music, full bar...all for a $5 cover fee.
- Bean and Leaf, 13 Washington St, Phone: +1 860 701-0000. Fresh coffee roasted right in front of you, and a very environmentally friendly business!
- Kelly's Coffee House, 256 South Frontage Rd, Phone: +1 860 443-2320. Great place to sit and chat with low-priced coffee.
- Kream Martini Bar and Lounge, 318 State St, Phone: +1 860 701-0370. A fun martini list paired with DJ's and live music.
Hotels in central New London can often be more expensive than those in Groton which lies just across the river. There is a group of hotels right across the river right at the other end of the Gold Star Bridge including the Groton Inn and Suites and the Super 8 Motel which will be closer to central New London than many of the cheaper hotels that are on the outskirts of the city proper. Central New London will be a 5-10 minute drive or a $10 cab ride from these Groton hotels.
- Red Roof Inn, 707 Colman St, I-95 Exit #82-A/83, Phone: +1 860 444-0001, Fax: +1 860 443-7154, . From $50. Amenities: WIFI, pets allowed, cribs available, data ports, complimentary coffee, and kids under 17 stay free.
- Relax Inn and Suites, 380 Bayonet St, Phone: +1 860 443-3440. From $60. Amenities: Free continental breakfast, pets allowed, free coffee, and high speed internet access.
- Holiday Inn, 269 North Frontage Rd, Phone: +1 860 442-0631, . From $80. Amenities: Health and fitness center, WIFI, and kids eat free.
- Radisson Hotel New London, 35 Governor Winthrop Blvd, Phone: +1 860 443-7000 Fax: “+1 860” 443-1239, . From $75. Amenities: High speed internet, pool, fitness center, and WIFI.
- Lighthouse Inn Resort, 6 Guthrie Place, Phone: +1 860 443-8411, Toll Free: +1 888 443-8411, Fax: +1 860 437-7027, . From $90. Amenities: High speed internet, WIFI in lobby, outdoor pool, in-room massage, and shuttle service available.
- Colonel Eugene Kirkland House Bed and Breakfast, 51 Glenwood Ave, Phone: +1 860 437-1500 . From $100. Amenities: WIFI, private baths, tennis courts, spa services, and health club.
- Connecticut College, Private liberal arts college located on the Thames River.
- Mitchell College, A liberal arts college that sits on the Thames River.
- United States Coast Guard Academy, The military academy for the U.S. Coast Guard.
Mystic and the Rhode Island South County beaches are nearby. Foxwoods casino in Ledyard and Mohegan Sun casino in Uncasville are close.
|Routes through New London
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
Wikipedia:New London, Connecticut