New Britain is a city in Connecticut. It is located in Hartford County and is also known as the “Hardware City” and “New Briski”.
The town got the nickname Hardware City because the headquarters of Stanley Black and Decker is located there. The playful nickname of “New Briski” relates to the presence of a robust Polish community in the city. New Britain was settled in 1687 and is 13.4 square miles. “Industria implet alveare et melle fruitur” is the latin motto for New Britain and can be translated to “Industry fills the hive and enjoys the honey” in English. After the 2012 census was taken it was recorded that currently 73,206 people live in New Britain. Home to Central Connecticut State University and Charter Oak College, the city is situated in New England's Knowledge Corridor.
- CT Transit City Bus, ☎ +1 (860) 522-8101, . edit
- Hardware City Taxi, 105 Broad Street, ☎ +1 (860) 229-8294. edit
- A Green Taxi Cab, 499 Main Street, ☎ +1 (860) 229-4444. edit
Like nearby Hartford, much of New Britain consists of large, well-kept public parks, some named after the industrialists who bought and donated the land on which they are kept.
Walnut Hill is located in downtown New Britain at 199 Lexington St in New Britain. It is known for its walking path, which is consistently used. This park is more for exercise and is known as a fitness park especially because of its path, its baseball diamond, and its two tennis courts. However, it is also popular with locals for its "Band Shell" performance space, and a honeycomb of quiet hillside groves. Designed by the architect Fredrick Law Olmsted in the same spirit as his work on New York City's Central Park, these provide a natural oasis in the center of an industrial city so secluded that one contains a nine story World War One monument that lifetime residents may not know how to find. It is open everyday and the park closes at 11 PM.
- Martha Hart is located on 499 Corbin Ave . This field is known for where the New Britain little league plays. There are three diamonds there, one of the diamonds is dedicated to the one and only Golden Hurricanes’ softball team. Every year there is a fishing derby that you can go to as well.
- Stanley Quarter is located on 451 Blake Rd and opens at 8AM and closes at 3:45PM. It closes on Sunday and Saturday. Here is a park that is great for a family day. Here you can located a small fishing pond, a playground, many sporting fields, and even ice skating. For people who like to skate this is a park for you because there is a skate board park within here, as well as a basketball court.
- Willow Brook can be found on 599 Main St. This park is mostly known for the Veterans Stadium, which is located within Willow Brook Park. Veterans Stadium is known for being used by the local high school for mostly soccer and football games. You can also find a track to do all your daily running on and you could also play a game of baseball in the two diamonds that are located within. These stadiums are called New Britain Stadium and Beehive Field.
- AW Stanley is where you can find a great nature trail. It is located on 2100 Stanley St. The nature trail has 42 stops and all are beautiful examples of urban wildlife habitats. The main attraction at this park is the swimming pool also known as cattail pond. You can also find a lake where fishing can be done and ice skating in those colder months. Like other parks around there area there are baseball diamonds, playgrounds, tennis courts, and even picnic tables. Here is a link to all of the trails: http://www.ccsu.edu/uploaded/departments/AcademicDepartments/Biology/AW_StanleyParkTrailguide.pdf
- Washington Park is the perfect place to lounge on a beautiful spring or summer day. Here you can find an amazing pool and other sport fields to do fun activities. The address to this park is 61 Carmody Ave.
- Chesley Park is the place to go if you like dogs and is located at 95 Wildwood St. There are many people who like to bring their dogs here to run freely. There is also a baseball field and pool here for activities with your children!
- Osgood Park is a park to go if you are interested in playing sports such as baseball and basketball. There is a basketball court located here and also a baseball field. If you are trying to find this park it is located at 460 Osgood Ave.
- Flight Trampoline Park 140 Production Ct, New Britain, CT 06051 +(860) 505-8218 Dates and Times: See website at http://flightct.com Flight trampoline park is a great day of fun for the entire family. With over 50 trampolines, four foam pits, dodgeball court and two basketball hoops everyone will find something to enjoy. Prices: $12-$30
- New Britain Museum of American Art 56 Lexington St, New Britain, Connecticut 06052, +(860) 229-0257 Dates and Times: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. ,Thursday: 11 a.m. – 8 p.m., Saturday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sunday: noon – 5 p.m. For additional information visit the website at http://www.nbmaa.org. The New Britain Museum of American Art houses over 11,500 pieces of art. Prices: Free-$35
- Rock Cats Baseball Stadium 230 John Karbonic Way, New Britain, CT 06051, +(860) 224-8383 Dates and times vary by season, see website at http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t538, Fun in the spring and summer time for the whole family. The Rock Cats minor league baseball team was number 5 in the Eastern league as of last season. Within the stadium there are over 10 different food stands where you can choose your food, from hot dogs to veggie burgers to ice cream. General seating and sky boxes available. Prices:$8-$200
- Stanley Golf Course 245 Hartford Rd, New Britain, CT 06053, +(860)-827-8570 Dates and times vary by season, see website at http://www.stanleygolf.com, A 27 hole public golf course. Complete with a restaurant, pro-shop, driving range, chipping and putting greens. Driving range is heated during the winter and open all year round. Prices:$9-$45
- Westfarms Mall 1500 New Britain Ave, West Hartford, CT 06110 (860) 561-3024 Dates and Times: Available on the website at http://www.shopwestfarms.com Located less than a minute outside of the city lines, Westfarms mall has a large variety of stores and restaurants.
Hospital of Central Connecticut 100 Grand Street New Britain, CT 06050 (860) 224-5011
- Connecticut Furriers, 111 W Main St, New Britain, CT 06051, ☎ (860) 229-2078, . Tuesday - Saturday 9am to 5pm Thursdays open till 6pm Open Mondays 9am to 5pm (October through January and April and May). Open for over 89 years, Connecticut Furriers designs and makes its own furs and accessories. edit
- Angelico's Restaurant, 542 East Main Street (The Restaurant Website Provides Personalized Driving Directions), ☎ 860.224.3811, . Lunch~11am-4pm M-Sa / Dinner~4-8pm M-W / 4-9pm Th-Sa. This is a classic "red-sauce" Italian restaurant with a great bar. Burgers, soups and salads, pasta, steaks, seafood, chicken, ribs, and more are available to order. The restaurant offers a banquet facility, custom catering services, and take out. Price range $31- $60. edit
- Capitol Lunch, 510 Main St, ☎ (860) 229-8237, . Mo-Sa: 10 AM-8 PM Su: 11 AM-6 PM. With a specialty of oversized Hot dogs with meat sauce, Capitol Lunch has been a favorite in the New Briski area. WIth a limited menu of classic american burgers, hot dogs and fries, this restaurant is a great place to grab lunch or a quick bite to eat. Price range Under $10. edit
- Cracovia, 60 Broad St, ☎ (860) 223-4443, . M-Su: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.. A favorite of New Britski locals that guarantees an authentic homemade Polish-American experience. They have been said to have perfect blintzes, peirogi, schnitzel, and stuffed cabbage. If you're new to Polish cuisine, you can order the highly rated Polish platter and get a little taste of everything. Price range $11-30. edit
- East Side, 131 Dwight St, ☎ Phone number (860) 223-1188, . M: Closed Tu-Th: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm and 4:30 pm - 8:30 pm F: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm 4:30 pm - 9:30 pm Sa: 11:30 am - 9:30 pm Su: 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm. A restaurant and bar were you can go when you want to get out of the norm. Walking in you are completed transported to Germany where you can enjoy German cuisine, an abundance of beer selections, where you can even enjoy a 2 liter "das boot" of beer, and a friendly and energetic waitstaff that will sing to you. Price range $31-60. edit
- Fatherland, 450 S Main St, ☎ (860) 224-3345. M-Sa: 11:30 am - 8:00 pm Su:12:00 pm - 7:30 pm. One of the three prominent Polish restaurants in the New Britain area where you can enjoy generous portions of authentic Polish - American cuisine. A nice restaurant that is never very busy and has a casual eat-n-go atmosphere, where everything is prepared and served fresh. edit
- Great Taste, 597 W Main St. (Directions available on website), ☎ (860) 827-8988, . M-Th: 11.00 am - 10.00 F-Sa: 11 am - 11 pm Su: 12 pm - 10 pm. Great Taste is a good place to eat out. Don't be alarmed by it's location! You can munch on free fried noodles, and sip a scorpion bowl while you wait for your meal. The menu is full of great traditional Chinese-American dishes. Price range $11-30. edit
- Mae Kong Thai Restaurant, 26 Main St, ☎ (860) 505-0791, . M-W: 11:00 am - 8:30 pm Th-F: 11:00 am - 9:30 pm Sa: 11:30 am - 9:30 pm Su: Closed. A BYOB (Bring your own Booze) restaurant that is a comfortable, clean, and delicious place to eat with friends, family or alone. A great place for lunch and dinner that accepts all major credit cards. Take out is available. The Thai flavors are said to come out in every dish. Take out is also an option. Price range $11-$30. edit
- Max Pizza II, 79 Shuttle Meadow Ave, ☎ (860) 357-2169, . Kick back and relax at this authentic Italian pizza restaurant. Reservations are accepted at this well decorated restaurant. The pizza is said to be delicious, with crisp crust cooked perfectly and generous toppings. Ice cream is also a favorite at this restaurant. Most items priced under $15. edit
- Staropolska, 252 Broad St, ☎ (860) 612-1711, . M: Closed T-Sa: ll am - 9 pm Su: 11 am-8 pm. A Polish restaurant where you can find typical homemade Polish cuisine and a bar to enjoy a drink. You can enjoy a hearty meal off a menu that has a recurring combination of pork, beef, potatoes and cabbage. Mr. Malinowski, the owner, does the cooking, using family recipes to serve the restaurant with fresh polish food. All major credit cards are accepted, with take-out also being an option. edit
- Whinstone Tavern, 245 Hartford Rd (Fire House Ln and Village Square Dr/Glen Carlyn Rd), ☎ Phone number (860) 827-0022, . M: Closed T: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm W-F: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm Sa: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm Su: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm. The Whinstone Tavern is located on Stanley public golf course. In which, in the fall, the foliage is said to be beautiful while sitting on their nice patio. Sandwiches, salads, burgers, and baby back ribs, baked scrod, chicken parmiagiana, new england clam chowder, soup of the day, are some of the items you can order at the Tavern. Price range $11-30. edit
- Elmers, 1433 East Street New Britain, CT 06053, ☎ 225-7881. MON - TH 5:00pm - 12:30am, FRI - SAT 7:00pm - 1:30am. edit Elmer’s is a great place for college students to go to and often have student specials and college night. If you are into trivia or karaoke Elmer’s also has that.
Central Connecticut State University 1615 Stanley Street New Britain, CT 06050 860-832-CCSU (2278) Established in 1849, with over 11,000 students CCSU is Connecticut's largest public funded college.
Charter Oak State College 55 Paul Manafort Dr, New Britain, CT 06053 (860) 515-3800 Established in 1973 and has over 2,000 students enrolled.
- La Quinta, 65 Columbus Blvd New Britain, CT 06051, ☎ 1-860-348-1463, . checkin: 2:00p.m.; checkout: 12:00p.m.. Free benefits include Wi-Fi, parking, our free Bright Side Breakfast®, modern flat-panel TV and fitness center. Rates begin at $69. edit
The Mayor's Office at (860)-826-3303 with any questions between 8:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
|Routes through New Britain