Nanortalik and the surrounding fjord.
Nanortalik is in Southern Greenland.
Nanortalik is the southernmost town in Greenland. The area is very unique in Greenland, and the landscape is like nowhere else in the country. There are deep fjords, small woodlands and prairies, and rugged mountainside cliffs. About 2,200 people live in the town and surrounding settlements, the main industries include seal hunting, fishing, tourism service, and local administration.
To get to Nanortalik, you have to connect through Narsarsuaq usually taking a helicopter to Nanortalik. It is also possible to sail to Nanortalik during the late spring and summer months, its best to organize these trips with the local tourist offices.
The area around Nanortalik is ideal for short and long hiking trips. It is also easy to get around the city on foot. In the winter, transportation is usually by ski or snowmobile.
The Nanortalik Museum’s exhibits are spread across several different buildings and feature summer tents, kayaks and the oldest women’s boat ever found, the boat dates back to 1440 and was found in 1948 by polar explorer and artist Eigil Knuth.
Even being in the southernmost town in Greenland, it is still possible to see the Northern Lights, the best viewing places are slightly away from the city, away from artificial light.
- Nanortalik Museum, Kiffat Aqqutaa B21, P.O. Box 118, 3922 Nanortalik, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 61 34 06 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Summer: M-Th & Sun 13-16; Winter: M, T, Th, Su 13-16. Open for cruise ships and large tourist groups upon request.. DKK25. edit
Tasermiut Fjord near Nanortalik.
Climbing near Nanortalik is very challenging, and requires expert experience and equipment. The area near the Tasermiut Fjord attracts international climbing experts to its 1000-meter cliff every year.
Modern touring and sea kayaks can be arranged for hire at the local tourism office. The Tasermiut fjord is a popular destination for kayakers.
Swimming in the hot springs is quite an adventure, the water is a balmy 38 degrees and the air temperature is usually around 10. The hot springs are located on the island of Uunartoq near Nanortalik, tours and transportation to the hot springs can be arranged with the local tourist offices.
Nanortalik is a popular starting place for hiking because of the rugged and varied landscape. Hikes to Klosterdalen and Quinndalen are the most popular, with views of glaciers and mountains along the way.
- Nanortalik Tourism Service, Lundip Aqqutaa B128, P.O. Box 43, 3922 Nanortalik, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 61 36 33 (email@example.com), . Open air museum in Greenland, features exhibits about Inuit culture as well as the Norse settlements. edit
- Nanortalik Tourism Service, Lundip Aqqutaa B 128, P.O. Box 43, 3922 Nanortalik, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 61 36 33 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Provides information about local tours, excursions and accommodation, as well as information about different places to visit in the area. edit
- Kap Farvel Restaurant (c/o Hotel Kap Farvel), Isua B304, P.O. Box 140, 3922 Nanortalik, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 61 32 79 (email@example.com), . Breakfast: 7:15-9:30 Lunch: 12-13:30 Dinner: 18-20. Offers a set menu for dinner, and a la carte menu items for lunch and breakfast. There are also children's dishes available. DKK100. edit
- Hotel Kap Farvel, Isua B304, P.O. Box 140, 3922 Nanortalik, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 61 32 94 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Offers a billard room, laundry, lounge, living room w/ tv, and an onsite restaurant. Transfers can be arranged. Single: DKK158 Double: DKK208. edit
- Hostel Qaannivik, B1350, P.O. Box 550, 3919 Nanortalik, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 61 92 09 (email@example.com), . Hotel split between 2 buildings. Restaurant onsite serving breakfast/lunch/dinner. Some rooms have private bathrooms. There are also lounge facilities. Transfers can be arranged. edit
- Seaside Whale Hotel, B469, P.O. Box 550, 3919 Nanortalik, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 61 92 09 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Other building of Hostel Qaannivik, bookings through the same hotel. This building has double rooms with private bathrooms. Singe: DKK850; Double DKK 1150. All rooms have private bathrooms and include breakfast. edit
- Tupilak Youth Hostel, Lundip Aqqutaa B128, P.O. Box 43, 3922 Nanortalik, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 61 36 39 (email@example.com), . No bed linen is provided with this hostel. DKK 275, w/ Linen DKK 325. edit
- NTS Rooms, P.O. Box 109, 3922 Nanortalik, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 61 33 86 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Apartment style hotel rooms. Each has a private bathroom and kitchen as well as a TV. Single: DKK 650 Double: DKK 800. edit