Nadi (pronounced "Nandi") is on the western side of the island of Viti Levu, the main and largest island in Fiji.
Nadi is a transit point for other destinations in Fiji. It may not be such a great place to spend any time but you may find yourself here whilst awaiting ferries, boats to outer islands or planes to and from home.
If you do decide to stay in or around Nadi, make sure you are prepared to be approached by people trying to get you into their shop as you walk down the main street. These people aren't threatening, Nadi is the safest town of Fiji, there is no risk of pick pockets unless there is a festival in town when people from other towns and cities come to Nadi .
The upscale Denarau Island is just 5 km north west of Nadi, and is where you will find the region's luxury hotels and resorts. This is also where you will find Denarau Marina, your gateway to the beautiful island chains of the Mamanucas and Yasawas.
Nadi International Airport (NAN) is Fiji's main international gateway. It is responsible for over 95 percent of Fiji's annual international passengers.
Nadi International Airport's main airline providers include:
Fiji Airways, Air New Zealand , Pacific Blue, Korean Air, Continental Airline, among few others.
Visit Airports Fiji Limited  for more information.
- There is a great local bus service at your disposal. Travel with the locals in open-air comfort for a fraction of the price of a hire car. All buses are marked on the front with the names of the two towns they travel between. If unsure, ask the driver.
- If you are staying at the Nadi Bay Hotel, simply walk to the end of that road and catch the local bus heading right (towards Nadi Town). The buses run every 20 minutes or so, and are just 80 cents FJD one-way to town.
- Taxis have their hometown printed on the front bumper, if they are travelling back home they are not allowed to charge more than the busfare.
- You are able to bargain with the taxi driver prior to the trip in order to get the price of your trip down before you leave to your destination, ask your hotel or research reasonable prices prior to your ride. The taxis can be flagged down, or found at taxi stands
- It is recommended that you do not hire a personal car to take you around, simply for safety reasons.
- Rental Cars are available through many known names such as Avis, Europcar, Hertz, Budget, etc. many can be found in the airport. You must have a valid drivers license and be above the age of 25 (or 21 depending on the company) in order to rent a car. The average price is around F$100 per day.
- Visit the Hindu Temple at the southern end of the main street of Nadi. It is the largest in the Pacific and is very colourful.
- Visit the Wailoaloa Beach, at a 1/2 mile long the beach located in the northern area of Nadi. There are multiple beach clubs and resorts located on this stretch.
- The Newtown Beach has public access as well, it is located about 10 minutes away from Nadi town by bus.
- Visit the Nadi Garden of the Sleeping Giant. Originally started to make a place for the private collection of tropical orchids of Canadian actor Raymond Burr, this garden now houses many beautiful plants and trails for walking. It is open Monday-Saturday, entrance fee is F$10.
- Hop on a local bus (FJD$2) to Lautoka and visit a real Fijian city away from the tourist eye. The bus terminates at the local markets, where you can buy tonnes of fresh produce.
- From Thursday to Sunday, drop in to the Capricorn Hotel between Nadi airport and Nadi town at around 8pm. You can sit under the bungalow and listen to a wonderful group of Fijians playing traditional and modern songs on guitar, ukulele and keyboard. You may even be invited to try some of their kava drink (an experience in itself)! The Hotel also serves meals and there is a bar.
- Hop on a ferry at Denarau Port and visit the Mamanuca and Yasawa islands right off the coast.
- Visit the Nadi Town market, there are hand crafts, fruits, other produce, music, and much more!
- If you are religious and wish to attend a church service in Nadi, there are numerous churches that hold their worship services on Saturdays or Sunday. A few to mention are: Assemblies of God, Methodist Churches, Baptist Churches, Pentecostal Church , Seven Day Adventists and more . They can be contacted via the local telephone directory  or via the internet .
- The currency is the Fijian Dollar (FJD). One U.S. dollar is worth about $1.88 FJD.
- Nadina Restaurant, Lot 6 Khalil St, Nadi (opposite the Capricorn hotel), ☎ (679) 672 7313. Authentic Fijian cuisine: Fresh seafood, chicken and meat served with rice or Fijian vegetables. Outdoor dining and very friendly staff. Locals sit outside playing the guitar and singing Fijian songs as you dine. Meals around $FJ20-30. edit This has now moved to Denarau.
- The Bounty Restaurant & Bar  located in the Martintar "strip" is a favorite spot for locals and tourists. It has an excellent atmosphere and a friendly environment with good food and a selection of local and imported beers and spirits. The Bounty is popular for its steak and seafood dishes, particularly lobsters.
- The Royale Thai Restaurant  located beside The Bounty Restaurant in the same premises offers a fine dining experience in authentic Thai cuisine. This has closed.
- Tu's Place  is a great local restaurant also in the Martintar area of Nadi. It's over the road from the Bounty and next to Ed's bar. The menu is varied with some Asian inspired dishes, European dishes, local dishes and definitely great fish and chips. If you like a good Thai curry, get one at Tu's place. Tu makes his own fresh curry pastes - it makes a big difference. Also try the lassi and smoothies.
- Amalfi Italian Restaurant  tel.(679)6750200 is a very nice and new restaurant in Port Denarau (very close to Nadi). At this elegant restaurant, Italians serve Italian food and wines. Prices medium-high.
- Continental Cakes & Pizza Tel: 670 3595 This bakery located on Queen Road in Nadi town has gotten great reviews from numerous places. There are many cakes, pastries, bread, pizzas and delicious flaky croissants. The bakery serves breakfast, sandwiches, and flat crust pizzas Monday-Saturday from 8am-6pm.
- Daikoku Restaurant  P.O.Box 1900, Nadi Town Tel:+679-6703622 Daikoku restaurant is a popular Teppan-Yaki steak house located on the corner of Queens Road and Northern Press Road in Nadi Town. Call the listed telephone number for a reservation! They are open for lunch and dinner from 12pm-1130pm Monday-Saturday.
- Hard Rock Cafe  Tel: 679-670-3131 Located in Port Denarau, this Hard Rock is the home to items from Bruce Springsteen, Aerosmith, Shakira, Seal, Jethro Tull and many others. Open daily from 10am-11pm.
- Indigo Fiji Restaurant  Tel: 675-0026 This restaurant specializes in Indian and Asian Cuisine and is located at the famous Denarau Island, Nadi, Fiji.
- Bonefish Fiji Restaurant  Tel: 675 0197 Bonefish Fiji is a seafood restaurant and they are located at the Denarau Island, Nadi in Fiji.
Ed's Bar is a short walk from the Nadi Bay Hotel. Just head out to the main road and turn left (away from Nadi Town). You'll find pool tables, a small dance section and a beer garden. There is no cover if you are a traveller and no dress code either.
- The Bounty Restaurant & Bar  is a popular watering hole for locals and travelers. Located in the heart of Nadi and just walking distance from Ed's Bar, Mercure hotel, Capricorn hotel, Lazy Cactus, and Ohana. You'll find a variety local and foreign beers, also draught beer. Live sports games (IRB 7s, SUPER 14, etc) are screened on the big screen. The Bounty has a great atmosphere and also offers karaoke for the daring.
Fiji offers a range of accommodation types from the budget accommodations to the luxurious up market resorts scattered around the islands.
- Wailoaloa Beach Resort . On Newtown Road, a 10min ride from the airport. The resort provide free pick-up and drop off service. This is one of the cheapest option in this part of Nadi. Clean air-con rooms, swimming pool and free wifi. F$55 for a double room with private bathroom and breakfast. There is also a good and correctly priced restaurant. The resort is a 10 to 15min walk to the main street and so is the beach.
- Capricorn Hotel. On the Queen's Road between Nadi airport and Nadi Town. This is a mid-priced hotel with fairly basic rooms, but they are air-conditioned and have patios/balconies. They restaurant serves fairly bland western style meals including fish and chips and pizza.
- Mercure Hotel Nadi . Queens Rd, Nadi Airport, Fiji Islands. Tel (679) 672 2255 Fax (679) 672 0187. The hotel features 84 rooms in two accommodation wings that overlook the resort style swimming pool, beutiful tropical gardens, a restaurant with alfresco dining on the poolside deck as well as a relaxing and welcoming bar.
- Nadi Bay Hotel . Wailoaloa Road, Nadi NAP 0359, Nadi Airport. Tel 679 672 3599 Fax 679 672 0092. A bustling hive of activity: friendly, good food, lots of travellers to swap stories with, reasonable room rates, music etc. As a small but refreshing detail, orange juice fans are recommended to grab a tall glass at the poolside bar.
- Novotel Nadi . Namaka Hill, Nadi Fiji Islands. Tel (679) 672 2000 Fax (679) 672 0590. The hotel has 127 spacious rooms, each featuring a private balcony overlooking the landscaped gardens. They offer conference rooms as well as both a restaurant and bar, providing both relaxed indoor or outdoor dining.
- Tanoa Rakiraki . PO Box 31, Rakiraki, Fiji Islands. Tel (679) 669 4101. Fax (679) 669 4545. The Tanoa Rakiraki Hotel offers 36 homey rooms that offer everything you can possible need for a comfortable and relaxing Fiji vacation. Located in Rakiraki Township, a two-hour drive from Nadi. Online reservation at best rates with instant confirmation start near US$20.
- The Bounty Apartments  located in the heart of Nadi in the Martintar strip. The Bounty Apartments offers an affordable and secure accommodation suited to the low budget traveller. Ideally located and only minutes away from the Nadi International Airport, the main shopping center, restaurants, bars, hotels, resorts, and the Denarau marina. Room rates per night start from US$28 and a bed in the dormitory is US$10 per night per person.
- Sofitel Fiji Resort and Spa  located on Denarau, this 5-star resort has 296 rooms all overlooking the beauty of the Fijian Pacific Ocean. To give you the full Fijian experience the walls are filled with traditional Fijian decor ranging from paintings to sculptures and carvings. The large range of amentities include: a private beach, golf club, pool, kids club, cultural activities, water sports, fitness center, spa treatments, numerous restaurants, and more. You truly get the full Fijian experience with this resort. They also offer wedding and conference packages, as well.
- Tanoa International Hotel  P.O. Box 9203, Nadi Airport Tel: (679) 6720277 Fax: (679) 6720197 Tanoa International Hotel is convenientley located less than a five minute drive from the international terminal of Nadi International Airport. The hotel has 148 rooms starting at F$250 a night. This hotel includes many important features such as 24-hour security and reception, internet facilities, a 24-hour airport shuttle, pool, a "Bula" bar and much more to make for the perfect vacation stay.
- Club Fiji PO Box 9619, Nadi Airport, Fiji Tel: Int + 679 6720 150 Fax: Int + 679 6702 324 Club Fiji has the perfect location for a tropical location. Located on the beach of Nadi Bay, only 8 km from the Nadi International Airport and 4 km from Nadi Town. This resort features very unique Fijian accomodations including Bures, Villas, and Apartments for very modest prices. You also have the option of making your stay a five or seven- night all inclusive package as well which includes your stay, food, wine, excursions, airport transportation and more. A fabulous deal! The resort also has many activities, restaurants, child care, and scuba diving! It is a perfect resort for families, couples, and everyone else as well!
- Bamboo Backpackers, ☎ 6722225. a tenminute ride from the airport, with prior arrangement the taxibill will be paid by the hostel. Clean rooms, friendly atmosphere, often guitarmusic and kava circles in the evening. Small restaurant with reasonable prices providing breakfast, lunch and dinner. Free wifi. F$50-55 for a double room with shared facilities. 20 Fiji Dollars in dorm. edit
- Sheraton Fiji Resort, Denarau South, Nadi, Fiji, ☎ (679) 675 0777, . Located on Denarau, guests at this 5 star resort have full use of all three adjacent Sheraton and Westin resorts. Very family friendly, kids under 12 stay and eat for free. edit
- Stoney creek resort (Stoney Creek), PO Box 143, Sabeto (Take the bus to Smbeto village from Nadi. Then there are many cars going to Stoney Creek), ☎ +679 7464-669, . A beautiful and well situated resort set in the heart of the countryside surronding Nadi.It is a fantastic spot with great staff and many activities near by. Waterfalls, mud pit, hot spring, trekking and villages are all within walking distance. The staff are great and will help you organise any further travel. $30. edit
You will hear on the grapevine quite a few stories of pickpockets and scams in Nadi. You may be told to put down your bags for respect at a temple and the bags are gone when you get back.
Avoid quiet streets and beach away from resorts near New Town, even during daylight. Taxi to center is only F$10, and ask hotel staff to call one for you. After dark, stay at your resort. That said,Nadi and Fiji are generally very safe.
There is a police station in the centre of the main street if you have any problems.
- Coral Sun run air conditioned busses from Nadi airport to Suva twice a day - also stopping by request at the resorts and villages along the way. Busses depart from Nadi airport at 7.30am and 4pm each day. $20 one way. Ph. (679) 672 3105 or book at the office located within Nadi airport.
- There are numerous ferries and day trips leaving daily from Denaru Port in Nadi, if you would like a simple day trip to the Mamanuca Islands, Yasawa Islands, or other similar islands, many ferries run from 9-4 daily.