Musashino (武蔵野市) is a city in Tokyo prefecture.
Musashino was formed as the result of a merger of several nearby neighborhoods. The most notable of these, Kichijoji is in itself a destination, and has its own page. Train travel is ubiquitous, so the second hub of the city is the area near Musashisakai Station. The remainder of the city is largely residential. There are several universities in the area, including Asia University and Musashino University.
The city is roughly squarish in shape, except that the south central part of the square is a part of Mitaka, the neighboring city to the south. The JR Chūō Line, which runs east-west through Musashino, has two stops in the city: Musashisakai (in the west) and Kichijoji (in the east). Between those is Mitaka.
The JR Chūō Line (中央本線) connects Musashino with Shinjuku and Tokyo Station to the east. Mitaka, one stop east of Musashisakai, is a transfer point for several other train lines.
Within Musashino, travel by foot, bus or bicycle is practical. The roads here are not so crowded, so using a car is reasonable, too.
By train, the JR Chuo Line has stops at Kichijoji, the neighboring Mitaka, and Musashisakai.
There are several bus companies that have routes in Musashino. The train runs east/west through the city, and for north/south travel, it is probably best to take a taxi or catch a bus from Musashisakai.
The station areas at Kichijoji and Musashisakai have a fair number of shops. For a larger selection, take the Chuo Line to Shinjuku or elsewhere in Tokyo.
- ADARSHA (インド料理アダルサ), Sakai 2-14-10 (From Musashisakai Station's north exit, go west 100m. Take the passageway just north of Doutor and continue 50m west. The restaurant is on the south side of the street.), ☎ +81 0422-36-2210 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . M-F 11AM-3PM, 5PM-11PM, Sa-Su 11AM-11PM. This Indian restaurant has several kinds of curry. Sets come with curry, rice, nan, and a salad. It also has all-you-can-drink specials. Serving staff speaks English. Lunch ¥700-1200. (35.702579,139.542329) edit
- Gyoza no Manshu (ぎょうざの満洲), 1F M-H Bldg, Sakai 2-2-18 (200m north of Musashisakai Station.), ☎ +81 0422-59-1201. This restaurant specializes in gyoza and also serves ramen and Chinese food. The sets are very large. ¥500-1000. (35.704071,139.544016) edit
- Hana no Mai (はなの舞), Okubo Bldg 2F, Sakai 2-2-4 (Next to Mos Burger, about 100m north of Musashisakai Station.), ☎ +81 0422-54-5450. A seafood izakaya. (35.703017,139.544056) edit
- Kouzushi (幸寿司), Sekimae 5-9-5 (On Route 7, halfway between Don Quixote and Musashino University, 50m W of Seven-Eleven.), ☎ +81 0422-54-4001. A small and tasty sushi place with bar and table seating. lunch set ¥700. (35.713403,139.542965) edit
- Nakazaki (なかざき), Nishikubo 3-11-1 (A few blocks NW of the Musashino Post Office.), ☎ +81 0422-53-1872. Daily 11:30AM-3:30PM, 5PM-9PM. A Japanese shokudo with handmade soba. The house special is a katsudon set. Dishes ¥700-1200. (35.71214,139.560522) edit
- Ramen Time (ラーメンタイム), Sekimae 5-9-6 (Between the Sekimae Post Office and Seven-Eleven on Itsukaichi Kaido), ☎ +81 0422-55-4407. This old shop serves tasty ramen and gyoza. ¥500-900. (35.71341,139.542847) edit
- RESTAURANT ELLE (エル), Sekimae 4-17-10 (Across the street from the main gate of Musashino University, next to Seven-Eleven.), ☎ +81 0422-55-0922. 11AM-2:30PM, 5PM-8:30PM. This small eatery is a good lunch option for people visiting Musashino University. The servings are large. ¥600-1200. (35.716191,139.549638) edit
- Sakura Sushi (さくら鮨), Sekimae 5-14-11 (Several blocks SE of Don Quixote.), ☎ +81 0422-53-1006. Tu-Su. A small sushi restaurant with a friendly and talkative chef. Lunch sets ¥900-1500, dinner sets ¥1200-2100. (35.711354,139.541751) edit
- Todairo (東大楼), Sakai 2-2-3 (On the corner a block west from the north exit of Musashisakai Station.), ☎ +81 0422-52-0033, . W-M 11:30AM-3PM, 5PM-10PM. This small Chinese restaurant is often filled with the smell of tasty food. ¥400-1000. edit
- UNO's kitchen, Sakai 2-3-8 (From Musashisakai Station, follow Musashisaki Dori NNW for half a kilometer. The shop is on the east side of the street.), ☎ +81 0422-38-9088, . This small Italian restaurant has an assortment of pasta dishes. Set menus come with a small green salad and bread. In the afternoon, sunlight shines in the windows and makes for a warm atmosphere. sets for ¥800-1200. (35.705298,139.5430337) edit
- Melody Hat (メロディーハット), Sakai 2-2-1 (2nd floor of the corner building just west of Family Mart, across the road from the north exit of Musashisakai Station.), ☎ +81 0422-55-4137. A bar with several Japanese and foreign brews on tap, plus several dozen in bottles, and a fairly large selection of scotch and whiskey. There is a small American-themed food menu, also. (35.702568,139.544145) edit
- MOBY DICK SALOON (モビィディックサルーン), Nishikubo 3-2-4 (Several blocks SW of the Chuo Library.), ☎ +81 090-6566-6176, . M 7PM-11:30PM, Tu-Sa 7PM-2AM, Su 6PM-midnight. A small bar with a large selection of bourbon and obscure American oldies on the stereo. The owner is a fan of motorcycles and will happily talk about them — or music — for hours. Drinks ¥450-900. (35.71147,139.56238) edit
Musashino is not generally a business or tourist destination, it being largely residential. What hotels do exist are unlikely to have English speaking staff. Kichijoji has many hotels, though. To the east along the Chuo Line are Nakano and Shinjuku, with plenty of places from which to choose.
- Hotel Mets Musashisakai (ホテルメッツ武蔵境), Kyonancho 2-1-8 (Just east from the south exit to Musashisakai Station.), ☎ +81 0422-32-5111, . A nice hotel for families or people traveling on business. Single ¥7000-9000, double ¥10,000-13,000. (35.701925,139.54511) edit
- Musashino City Hall (武蔵野市役所), Midoricho 2-2-28 (A 10 minute walk north from Mitaka Station.), ☎ +81 0422-51-5131, . M-F 8:30AM-5PM, closed Dec 29-Jan 3, closed national holidays. City Hall has many services essential for residents. It also has information on hospitals, which could be of use to travelers. edit
JR train reservations cannot be made at Musashisakai Station. There are reservation ticket windows at nearby Kichijoji and Mitaka, though.
- Musashino is bordered on the west by Koganei, on the east by Mitaka, and on the north by Nishitokyo. These cities are easily accessible by bus or bicycle.
- Ride the JR Chuo train for another ten or twenty minutes to reach Nakano or Shinjuku. The Chuo Line ends at Tokyo Station, the shinkansen terminus.