Moyobamba, the City of the Orchids, is the capital of the San Martín region in northern Peru.
Since the airport is not in use, the only way to get into Moyobamba is by road. Your best option is to use a bus company. There are buses from Lima, which take 24 hours to get to Moyobamba and travel during the night. Prices vary, with the most expensive being around 120 soles.
The fastest way to get to Moyobamba is to fly from Lima to Tarapoto and from Tarapoto take a taxi or bus to Moyobamba. Both LAN Peru and Star Peru fly to Tarapoto from Lima. A taxi will cost 25 soles and a bus will cost 20. The average time from Tarapoto to Moyobamba is 2 hours. Enjoy the view on the way!
You can also arrive from Iquitos, by boat to Yurimaguas and then a bus or taxi to Tarapoto and Moyobamba. Be aware, though, that the road is winding, with several ups and downs, and it can be a problem if you are prone to motion sickness. it is otherwise breathtaking in its beauty.
You can either walk or catch a moto-taxi (a modified motorbike with three wheels and a carriage at the back for three passengers). Most journeys with a moto-taxi cost 1 sol 50 cents. Longer trips cost 2 soles, and from the town square (Plaza de Armas) to the thermal baths (Baños Termales) costs 6 soles. Some drivers may try to charge more when they see you are not from Peru. Remember to state your price before you get into the taxi.
- San Martín Museum, Jr. Oscar R. Benavides 380, . Contains photographic exhibitions, sculptures and craft, antiques, historical documents, fossils, stone implements of the area, wild fauna, flora (various species of orchids - there are approximately 2,500 in the region) and traditional clothing from communities of the area edit
- Vivero Agro Oriente, . A wide exhibit of orchids and other plant species, with a guided tour included in the S./2 entrance fee. Great views of the Mayo river and also some wildlife species such as aligators and Boas. edit
- San Juan Festival. 24th June, locals celebrate with traditional dances and dishes edit
- Baños Termales de San Mateo (Thermal Baths), (To get to the thermal baths from town costs 6 S/. in a mototaxi.). The thermal baths is a popular destination both for locals and tourists. There are 6 pools ranging in temperature from warm to hot, two swimming pools, hot and cold natural showers and areas to relax. 1.50 S/.. edit
- Orquidiario Wakanki, (Near the thermal baths. The trip costs 6 S/. in a mototaxi). Wakanki has a huge range of orchids to see depending on the time of year. The best season to see orchids is around October. It also has a viewing point where you can see around 20 species of hummingbirds. Worth the trip for the hummingbirds alone. The best time to visit to see the birds is around sunrise or sunset. 10 S/.. edit
- Baños Sulfurosos de Oromina, (6 km from Moyobamba City located in the foothills Oromina.). Its name outcrop of sulphurous water from the subsoil. These, are also attributed medicinal effects for the treatment of some skin diseases As the hot springs of San Mateo. Located in the high forest, height of 903 m.s.n.m., surrounded by attractive natural environment of this area. And it's also close to Asnacyacu waterfall. A water temperature of 8 degrees Celsius. edit
- Gera Waterfalls, Village of Jepelacio (You can take a mini bus from Moyobamba. Once in the village, it's 20 minutes by foot to the falls.). edit
- Lahuarpia Waterfalls, On the way to Tarapoto. 3 waterfalls. edit
- Morro de Calzada, Located in the town of Calzada. Mountain in the middle of the valley. It is a 2 to 3 hour hike to the summit from where you can see the whole valley and several towns. Bring water. edit
- La Olla de Barro, Jr. Pedro Canga y Serafin Filomeno, . edit
- El Huerto de Mi Amada, Jr. San Francisco No. 521, . edit
- Helados La Muyuna, Jiron Pedro Canga cuadra 5 (near the Hotel Marcoantonio), . An icecreamery edit
- Arizona Chicken, Serafín Filomeno (Near La Olla de Barro), . One of the best Pollerías (chicken restaurants) in town. A meal costs around 11 S/. edit
Peruvian Amazon has a huge selection of jungle drinks, of which many many are touted as being aphrodisiacs with suggestive names to match.
- Leche de Monja
- 7 Raices
- Puerto Mirador Hotel, Jr. Sucre S/N (Situated outside the city centre), ☎ +51-42-562050. This 3-star hotel is the most expensive in Moyobamba. It is owned by foreigners. edit
- Marcoantonio Hotel, Jr. Pedro Canga 488, ☎ +51-42-562319. edit
- Hostal Celis, Jr. Callao 845, ☎ +51-42-562457 (fax: +51-42-562457), . 2-star edit
- Hostal Atlanta, Jr. Alonso de Alvarado 865, ☎ +51-42-562063, . edit
- Country Club Hostal, Jr. Manuel de Aguila 667, ☎ +51-42-562110, . edit
- Hostal Royal, Jr. Alonso de Alvarado 748, ☎ +51-42-562564. edit
- Hostal Albricias, Jr. Alonso de Alvarado 1066, ☎ +51-42-562142. edit
- Hostal Moyobamba, Jr. Alonso de Alvarado 493, ☎ +51-42-562162. edit
- Paraje Turístico Punta Verde, Jirón San Carlos 100 (close to the Coliseo), ☎ +5142 561822, . Rustic shoestring hostel with a tasty restaurant and a great view. Lots of birds in the wooded areas. Internet available. 10 soles. edit
- Tarapoto - the largest city in the region
- Rioja - to the west
- Chiclayo - an overnight bus trip that crosses the Andes and gets you from the lush forests and rivers of the Amazon basin into the arid Pacific coast of northern Perú. Try to sleep during the winding trip.
- Chachapoyas - A 6 hour bus trip that will take you higher into the mountains. Another winding trip.