Mossel Bay is a small harbour town situated on the Garden Route in the Western Cape Province of South Africa. A favourite coastal and holiday destination, it has over the years developed into a town of unhurried hospitality, complementing the natural beauty and rich cultural history of the District of Eden. It was here that the first modern Europeans have set foot on southern African shores – commemorated at the Da Gama Museum Complex in the town-centre. Washed by the warm waters of the Indian Ocean, Mossel Bay offers sandy beaches stretching into the horizon, whale watching in season (June – mid November), water sport and extreme adventures. The Bay of Attraction, as Mossel Bay is often referred to, is also a paradise for any shopper hunting for local art and craft or maritime objects, and a hub for good entertainment and exquisite dining on the Garden Route.
Mossel Bay is situated along the Garden Route, connected with the N2 and therefore easily reached from Cape Town in the West and George in the East, as well as Oudtshoorn in the North.
There is a daily train to George via Hartenbos, Great Brak River and Little Brak River.
This service will only operate as long as the regular Outeniqua Choo Tjoe train between George and Knysna is suspended (due to severe flooding and landslides in 2006).
You can easily walk around the city centre, but taking a car to some of the outside destinations or restaurants is favourable.
- Bartholomeu Dias Museum Complex, 1 Market Street, ☎ +27 44 691-1067 (email@example.com), . M-F 9AM-4:45PM, Sa, Su 9AM-3:45PM. This museum has expansive waterfront gardens, and exhibits which include reconstruction of the ship itself. You can go on board for an extra fee. Allow several hours to visit the entire site. edit
- The lighthouse and Dias exhibit.
- Take a boat ride to the seal island near the harbour.
- Visit the market at Hartenbos beach.
- Buy some wine and go sit at the cliffs in the southern part of the town, enjoying the view of the ocean. You can sometimes see whales from the headland.
- Just walk along one of the world's most beautiful beaches, packed solid in holiday season, empty in the 22 degree winter
Get one (or more) of the nice handmade crafts in the Craft Shop next to the Tourism Info. You won't get souvenirs from Kenya / China or other countries - here you can buy pure Mossel Bay only.
- Skydive Mossel Bay (Skydiving), Mossel Bay Airfield (30 09'30S - 22 03'44E), ☎ +27 82 824 8599, . daylight. Tandem skydive in the Garden Route with a fabulous option to land on the beach of the Indian Ocean coastline. R1500. edit
The beaches offer a variety of very good restaurants (mainly fresh fish).
Red Lobster Seafood and Steaks, Langeberg Mall, . edit
- Desperados Pub and Dance, Voorbaai, . A lively night club. edit
- Avenues Guesthouse, 23, 21st Avenue, Mossel Bay, ☎ +27 44 691-1097, . Situated on top of Mossel Bay, Avenues Guesthouse is a place of tranquillity with personal touch and attentive care. We offer comfortable en-suite bedrooms (partly with DSTV) and a family unit, saltwater pool, secure parking and free WIFI. Close to golf courses, beaches, hiking trails, restaurants and sightseeing spots. German and English spoken. From R310 per person sharing per night B&B. (34°11'23,15'' S,22°8'39,09'' E) edit
- Botlierskop Private Game Reserve, (Near the R328 between Oudtshoorn and Mosselbay), ☎ +27 44 696-6055 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . A private game reserve, where you can stay for the night, spend a day or just eat in their superb restaurant. The higher prices means a lot of inclusions, game drives, meals, and more. In low season R550-R2560pps and in high season R2107-R3120pps. edit
- Santos Express, ☎ +27 44 691-1995 (email@example.com), . An old train parked right at the beach. You sleep on the train. Comfort is mediocre but its worth the experience and prices are affordable. edit
- Lots of camping sites near Hartenbos beach.
- Blue Whale Lodge, 22 Upper Cross Street, ☎ +27 044-691-3147, . checkin: Noon; checkout: 10 AM. A Bed and Breakfast that also offers self-catering units. Within walking distance to the Lighthouse/St. Blaize Trail, restaurants, bars, attractions, and amenities. It's run by a great couple that make you feel at home. 350 ZAR/night. edit