Montville is a small tourist-orientated town in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland in Queensland, Australia. High in the Blackall Ranges, with some spectacular views, it's known for its large numbers of arts and crafts galleries, gift and specialty shops, tea rooms, restaurants and cafes. Located right next door to Maleny, the alternative cooperatives centre, which is famous in its own right. It is about a two-hour drive from nearby Brisbane and is generally cooler and less humid in the summer months, cold and damp in winter. The Kondalilla Falls are the most popular natural attraction in this area.
The easiest way into Montville is by road from either the south or north via the Bruce Highway to Landsborough from the South, or through Nambour if coming from the North and then up into the Blackall Ranges towards Maleny.
From Brisbane go over the Gateway Bridge and through the toll leading onto the Bruce Highway. Follow the signs to the Sunshine Coast. After 10km take the Glass House Mountains and Australia Zoo exit on the left (there is a big brown sign mentioning Beerburrum, Maleny and Landsborough, as well as signs to Australia Zoo). Then look for the signs for Maleny as you transit Landsborough and begin the climb up a steep road into the Blackall Ranges towards Maleny, Montville and Mapleton. Be aware that the Sunshine Coast is a popular weekend getaway for Brisbanites, so expect a slightly longer drive in this direction on a Friday afternoon. You will also have to pay the toll on the Gateway Bridge as you leave south Brisbane.
Glasshouse Country Coaches ☎ +61 7 5496-9249 run from the Landsborough railway station to Maleny. Another route is from Maleny to Nambour via the town
The nearest train station is at Landsborough. Queensland Rail (QR): ☎ 13 16 17.
The nearest and most convenient airport (about a 35 minute drive from Montville) is the Sunshine Coast Airport at Marcoola, near Maroochydore: ☎ +61 7 5453-1500. Next closest is Brisbane International Airport, slightly more than a hour away by road.
Montville and the other communities of the Blackall Ranges are spread out over a fairly large area. You'll need a car to enjoy your stay here.
- Range Taxi Service: ☎ +61 4 1871 1989 (mobile) 24 hours.
- Montville Visitor Information Centre, Main St: ☎ +61 7 5478-5544.
- Kondalilla National Park on Western Avenue about 4km north of the centre of Montville: ☎ +61 7 5494-3983. 327 hectares of lush subtropical rainforest and tall open forest plus the striking Kondalilla Falls dropping 90m from Skene Creek into picturesque pools of water below. Parking area, picnic facilities, barbecues, shelter sheds, toilets, a lookout and three walking trails. No fresh water available. Can become quite crowded during peak holiday periods.
- Flame Hill Vineyard and Winery, 249 Western Ave: ☎ +61 7 5478-5558. Award-winning wines. Open daily.
- Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk: 58km walk through the Blackall Ranges, starting from Lake Baroon near Montville. Subtropical rainforest, tall open eucalypt forest and picturesque waterfalls. Entire walk takes 4-6 days. ☎ 13 13 04 to book campsites, which have water, toilets and platforms.
- Clock Centre, 194 Main St, ☎ +61 7 5442-9409, . Displays and sells various wall & grandfather clocks edit
- Almari Leather  - 144 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9189. Everything leather.
- Amazen Puzzles & Games  - 166 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5788. Family, party & strategy games, jigsaw puzzles, brainteasers, educational toys, gadgets and novelties.
- Australis of Montville Antiques - 162 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9400. Antiques, jewelry, Russian amber, Chinese glassware, silver collectibles and furniture.
- Cadman Cottage - 186 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9188. Books on Feng Shui personal development.
- Country Hemp  - 200 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9455. Hemp clothing and hemp seed products for skin and haircare.
- lizzart  - 11 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5104. Original art, prints, gifts, homewares, jewelry, soft furnishings and fashion, furniture, sculptures and music.
- Main Street Gallery  - 167 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5050. Australian art & design -- ceramics, glassware, jewelry, sculptures, woodcraft.
- Montville Health Foods and Hintertech Solutions - 182 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5033.
- Montville Herbs and Scents - 171 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5955. Herbal products, teas, tonics, potpourri, essential oils, soaps and lotions. Services of clairvoyant arranged by appointment.
- Montville Woods Gallery - 158 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5998. Local handmade wood products of all kinds.
- Not Just Dolls  - 118 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9577. All kinds of dolls and teddy bears.
- Rainbow Art Gallery - 124 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9211.
- Sunshine Coast Crafts - 156 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9495. Wide range of locally-made crafts.
- The Herb Garden - 188 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9190.
- The Italian Shop  - 188 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5500. Everything Italian -- Murano Venetian glass, Italian figurines, jewelry, watches, clowns and masks.
- Treetops Gallery  - 38 Kondalilla Falls Road. Tel: +61-1800- 087-330.
- Verde of Montville - 174 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5855. Italian natural products for personal care of men & women plus quilts, towels and bed linen.
- Camphor Cottage  - 190 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9300. Traditional 'Queenslander' building with wide verandahs and a rainforest garden setting. Casual dining atmosphere and extensive menu. Breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea daily. Gift shop attached.
- Ice Cream Emporium and Cafe - 184 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5300. 24 flavours of gourmet ice cream & yoghurts plus snacks.
- Chocolate Country - 192 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9455.
- Montville Cafe Bar and Grill  - Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5535. Great food & entertainment, as well as a traditional Montville Pub atmosphere. Open from Wednesday to Monday, complimentary evening courtesy bus available.
- Montville Coffee Pot - Shop 13, 168-170 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5522. Breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. Caters for vegetarians.
- Montville Gourmet Pizzeria and Cafe  - 202 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9505. Casual dining or take-away. Freshly prepared pizza, pasta, burgers, salads, fish & chips plus Lavazza coffee. Open seven days for lunch & dinner.
- Montville Patisserie and Bakery - 176 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9487. Breads, pies and pastries are handmade on site. Tea & coffee & village views. Special flourless cakes, gluten-free or yeast-free breads available.
- Montville Views Restaurant - 170 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9204.
- Penefathings Inn , 96 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9489. Retaurant with English pub atmosphere. Menu varies from traditional English fare to fresh seafood and curry platters with all the trimmings. Lunch and dinner seven days. Breakfasts on Sunday. 12 beers on tap and 70 wines available by the glass.
- Poet's Cafe  - 167 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5050. Coffee, cakes and snacks in lush, tropical surroundings. Breakfast and lunch seven days. Dinners on Friday. Wedding reception facilities.
- Shali's Cafe - 176 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9488. Homemade lasagne, quiche, soups and burgers. Friday night Indian smorgasboard -- all you can eat $20 per person. Open 7 days for lunch and afternoon tea. Dinner Friday night only.
- The Coffee Pot Juice Bar & Poppy's  - 168 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5522. Snacks, freshly squeezed juice, ice creams, devonshire teas, poffertjes, full meals and excellent coffee.
- Montville Art Gallery, 138 Main Street, ☎ 5442 9211. edit
- Montville Cafe Bar and Grill, Main St: ☎ +61 7 5478-5535. Great food & entertainment, as well as a traditional Montville Pub atmosphere. Open from Wednesday to Monday, free evening courtesy bus available.
- Clouds of Montville  - 166 Balmoral Road. Tel: +61-7-5442-9174. Self-contained cottages, suites and rooms on five landscaped acres.
- Hunchy Hideaway  - 609 Hunchy Road. Tel: +61-7-5478-5470. Self-contained, air conditioned rainforest retreat. In-house massages available.
- Mayfield on Montville  - 127-133 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9499. 10 self-contained apartments near the centre of Montville with views.
- Montagues of Montville  - 77 Kondalilla Falls Road. Tel: +61-7-5445-7854. 2 self-contained, air conditioned cottages in rainforest adjacent to Kondalilla Falls National Park.
- Montville Heart Apartment - Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9529. 2 bedroom apartment in the middle of town.
- Montville Holiday Apartments  - 60-68 Western Avenue, just off Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5442-9108. 11 self-contained units. Mountainside swimming pool, spa, mini-golf course, barbecues, views and abundant birdlife.
- Montville Mountain Inn  - Main Street. Tel: +61-7- 5442-9499. Air conditioned rooms near the centre of Montville, with conference centre and restaurant. Gardens & bush at the rear.
- Narrows Escape Rainforest Retreat (Narrows Escape), 78 Narrows Rd Montville, Sunshine Coast 4560 Australia (Follow signs to Lake Baroon), ☎ 61-7-5478-5000, . checkin: 2:00pm; checkout: 11:00am. Four and a half star eco-accredited boutique luxury self contained cottages for couples set in secluded rainforest from $285 per couple. (26.689209,152.865382) edit
- Santa's Country Attic  - 146 Main Street. Tel: +61-7-5478-5547. Self-contained, air conditioned apartment decorated for Christmas all year.
- The Falls Rainforest Cottages  - 40 Kondalilla Falls Road. Tel: +61-7-5445-7000. Self-contained cottages in rainforest near Kondalilla Falls. Air conditioning for summer and wood fire for winter.
- Tree Houses of Montville  - Kondalilla Falls Road. Tel: +61-7-5445-7650. Environmentally friendly rainforest retreat with four styles of accommodation, 'from budget to luxury.'
- Lillypilly's Country Cottages, 584 Maleny-Montville Road, Maleny, Qld 4552, ☎ 61-7-5494-3002, . Visit their website to find nearby attractions edit
- Secrets On The Lake, 207 Narrows Rd, Montville QLD 4560 Australia, ☎ 61-7-5478-5888, . Most of the walkways in the accommodation are hand carved edit
- Montville Grove, 318 Western Avenue, ☎ 61-7-5442 9186, . checkin: 2 pm; checkout: 10 am. Montville Grove cottages offer self-contained accommodation for weekend getaways and short breaks. From $270. (-26.681713000,152.866669000) edit
- Flaxton - another small Blackall Ranges town, perhaps the prettiest of all, just a few minutes drive from Montville. See the Flaxton Barn and Model Railway.
- Mary Valley Rattler  - Tozer Street, Gympie. Tel: +61-7-5482-2750. Steam Locomotive Scenic Tours operated from Gympie, an hour's drive north of Montville. The Mary Valley Heritage Railway runs steam, railmotor and diesel passenger tours on the Mary Valley Line of Queensland Rail as a non-profit venture, owned and operated by the local community.
- The Glass House Mountains National Park  and Beerburrum and Beerwah State Forests and Forest Reserves  are all nearby.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!