Missouri River Country is the northeast region of Montana bordering North Dakota to the east and Saskatchewan,Canada to the north.
Cities in the region with population of 2,000 or greater listed along with other towns in the area.
- Sidney — the largest city is in the southern portion of the region about 10 miles west of the North Dakota border. Other towns in the southern portion of the region include Fairview, Lambert, Circle, Jordan and Brusett.
- Glasgow — a city on Highway 2 about 20 miles northwest of Fort Peck Lake. Other towns in the area include Fort Peck, Nashua, Ophiem, Hindsdale and Vandalia.
- Wolf Point — a city on Highway 2 located in the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. Other towns in the area include Poplar, Scobey, White Tail, Medicine Lake, Culbertson, Bainville, Plentywood and Westby.
- Malta — a city on Highway 2. Other towns in the area include Dodson, Saco, Loring, Zortman and Landusky.
The Empire Builder provides daily service to/from Malta, Glasgow and Wolf Point. Train will take you as far as Chicago (Eastbound) or Seattle (Westbound). Westbound train also provides service to Portland via Spokane.
- Fort Peck Dam was constructed by hydraulic methods and is still the largest hydraulic earth filled dam in the world.
- Hell Creek Formation. the world famous Hell Creek Formation runs through this area, this area is known for its dinosaur fossils.you can see these fossils at the museum of the rockies in bozeman . edit