Southeast Minneapolis is a district in Minneapolis.
Coffman Memorial Union, University of Minnesota
Although it isn't actually that part of the city that is in the southeastern quadrant of Minneapolis, it is called "Southeast" because it is the south part of "East Minneapolis," that part of the city that is east of the Mississippi. The boundary between Southeast Minneapolis and Northeast Minneapolis is East Hennepin Avenue.
NOTE: Construction related to the Central Corridor light rail project has resulted in some drastic road closures and public bus reroutes. Notably, the short freeway spur connecting downtown Minneapolis with the Washington Avenue Bridge is completely closed west of Cedar Avenue, and the section of Washington Avenue going through the U of M East Bank campus is closed between Pleasant Street (just east of the bridge) and Oak Street. Buses has been rerouted drastically and passengers should expect delays. Up to date information on bus reroutes can be found on Metro Transit's Rail Construction page .
If driving along Interstate 35W, take the exit marked "Univeristy Ave SE/4th St SE" and turn on University Avenue (it's a one-way, so heading in the wrong direction is impossible). Most of Dinkytown is located between 13th and 15th Avenues; turn on one of these streets as most of the action is not along University Avenue proper, but along 4th Street SE (one block to the left; it's a one-way in the opposite direction) and the cross-streets mentioned above (especially 14th Avenue SE). If you are going to Stadium Village, continue driving down Univeristy Avenue past Dinkytown until you get to Oak St SE, then turn right.
If driving along Interstate 94, take the exit marked "Huron Blvd"; there will only be one direction to head in: north. If heading to Stadium Village, turn left on Washington Ave SE. If heading to Dinkytown, keep driving along Huron Blvd, which runs directly into 4th St SE. Contiune along 4th St SE until you get to Dinkytown. One can also take the MN-280 exit off I-94 and either go west on University, which will turn into 4th St, or go west on Kasota which will turn into Rollins, make a left on 15th Ave straight into Dinkytown.
In addition to the freeways, car access to Southeast from the other side of the river is available via the Hennepin Avenue, Third Avenue (connects 3rd Ave S on the west side with Central Avenue on the east side), 10th Avenue (connects 19th Ave S on the west side with 10th Ave SE on the east side), Washington Avenue, and Franklin Avenue bridges.
Dinkytown is served by Metro Transit bus routes 2, 3, and 6. Stadium Village is served by routes 2, 6, 16, 50 (same route as the 16, but operates limited-stop; runs during rush hours only), and numerous limited-stop routes offering quick connections between the University of Minnesota campus and areas across the Twin Cities metropolitan area. See Metro Transit's website  for more information.
Almost all streets and avenues in SE Minneapolis are numbered, except for a few named on or around the University of Minnesota campus. Most of this area follows the same river-aligned grid as downtown. Like downtown, streets parallel the river and avenues are perpendicular to it; the only exception to this rule is University Avenue, which in Southeast is actually the equivalent of "3rd St SE". Younger people might have fun visiting the famous Dinkytown area and hanging out at a coffee shop. It's located nearby 14th Ave and 4th St SE. The Prospect Park neighborhood is also part of Southeast Minneapolis, but it has an entirely different street grid, with winding streets with Anglophone names, such as Seymour, Warwick, and Arthur.
The best part of Southeast Minneapolis is the Mississippi River. Walk across the Stone Arch Bridge and see St. Anthony Falls (now manmade) and the lock and dam. Maybe you'll get to see a boat go through. The Southeast side of the river also features restaurants with great views of the downtown skyline, and if you turn north on East Hennepin, you'll find a wonderful collection of restaurants and shops.
- Bell Museum of Natural History, 10 Church St SE (at University), ☎ +1 612 624-7083 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Tu-W,F 9AM-5PM, Th 9AM-9PM, Sa 10AM-5PM, Su noon-5PM. $5 adults, $3 students, children 3-16 and seniors 62+, free for children under 3. Free admission for everyone on Sundays. edit
- Weisman Art Museum, 333 E River Rd (at Washington), ☎ +1 612 625-9494, . Tu,Th-F 10AM-5PM, W 10AM-8PM, Sa-Su 11AM-5PM. Frank Gehry-designed art museum on the University of Minnesota campus. Free. edit
Varsity Theater, Dinkytown
- Varsity Theater, 1308 4th St SE (between 13th and 14th Aves), ☎ +1 612 604-0222, . Elegantly decorated theater that now acts as a music venue. Shows are mostly all ages or 18+. edit
- TCF Bank Stadium. Home to the Minnesota Gophers football team. edit
- The Book House, 429 14th Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 331-1430, . M-Sa 10AM-10PM, Su noon-8PM. Huge selection of used books. edit
- Magus Books & Herbs, 1309½ 4th St SE, ☎ +1 612 379-7669 (toll free: +1 800 996-2487), . M-F 10AM-9PM, Sa 10AM-6PM, Su noon-6PM. New Age, astrology, herbs, alternative religion, etc. edit
- The Podium, 425 14th Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 331-8893 (toll free: +1 866 331-8893), . M-F 10AM-6PM, Sa 10PM-5PM. Guitar shop, mostly acoustic. edit
- SaraCura, 1411 4th St SE, ☎ +1 612 253-7272, . M-Sa 10AM-7PM. Silver jewelry, belly dance regalia, perfumed oils and incense, handmade cards and gifts. Consigns locally-made goods. edit
Around 14th Ave and University Ave SE.
- Al's Breakfast, 413 14th Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 331-9991. M-Sa 6AM-1PM, Su 9AM-1PM. A slightly hidden diner that is perfect for mornings. Seating at a single counter, line forms behind stools. Delightfully crunchy hash-browns and greasy egg-dishes will take care of that American diner breakfast craving. Some think it gets by on reputation these days and anywhere with elbow room is better. Only you can decide. $5-$15. edit
- Annie's Parlour, 313 14th Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 379-0744. Su-Th 11AM-11PM, F-Sa 11AM-midnight. Burgers and malts on the second-story patio. They charge extra for every single item, so a burger/fries/shake starts getting expensive but it's worth it if you're in the mood. $5-$15. edit
- Burrito Loco, 418 13th Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 746-5626, . M-W 11AM-1AM, Th-F 11AM-3AM, Sa 10AM-3AM, Su 10AM-1AM. A burrito joint plus a full service bar. Service can be quite dodgy earlier in the evening; they seem to forget about customers outside of rush times. edit
- Camdi, 1325 4th St SE, ☎ +1 612 331-4194, . M-Th 11AM-9PM, F-Sa 11AM-10PM, Su noon-9PM. Chinese/Vietmanese restaurant, very small space (can sometimes get over-crowded during the lunch rush). Vegetarian/vegan friendly and dirt cheap (especially the lunch specials). edit
- Erbert and Gerbert's, 1500 4th St SE, ☎ +1 612 331-1185, . M-Th 10AM-midnight, F-Sa 10AM-3AM, Su 10AM-10PM. Regional sub shop chain. edit
- Loring Pasta Bar, 327 14th Ave SE (at 4th St), ☎ +1 612 378-4849, . M-Th 11:30AM-10PM, F 11:30AM-11PM, Sa noon-11PM, Su 11AM-10PM. For pasta and an eclectic, very romantic atmosphere, try the descendant of the now-defunct Loring Cafe. Cozy and comfy with amazing bar and marble/stone bathrooms, it's a better venue for lunch and wine dates than dinner as the food is generally too pedestrian to justify the high prices for tiny servings. Vegetarians welcome. $5-$15. edit
- Shuang Cheng, 1320 4th St SE, ☎ +1 612 378-0208, . M-Th 11AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-11PM, Su noon-10PM. A perennially popular and surprisingly authentic Chinese restaurant. Often raved about in reviews due to its dishes' abundances of vegetables and unique offerings (such as Walleye with Black Beans Sauce), it also offers standard fare. Vegetarians welcome. $5-$15. edit
- Tony's Diner, 1327 4th St SE (at 14th Ave), ☎ +1 612 378-4730, . M-Th 9AM-10PM, F-Sa 9AM-3AM, Su 9AM-8PM. Features gyros—stuffed with french fries like they do in Greece—and baklava mixed in with excellent burgers and hot sandwiches and hoagies. edit
Located closer to Oak St and Washington Ave SE.
- Bona, 815 Washington Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 331-5011. Su-Th,Sa 11AM-9PM, F 11AM-10PM. Vietnamese. Vegetarians welcome. $5-$15. edit
- Big Ten, 606 Washington Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 378-0467, . 11AM-2AM daily. Big Ten is a sports bar (lots of TVs for those games!) that is also family-friendly. The delicious subs have generous helpings of meat, piles of lettuce, garlic mayonnaise, and the Italian salad dressing. edit
- Hong Kong Noodle, 901 Washington Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 379-9472, . Su-Th 11AM-midnight, F-Sa 11AM-2AM. Mandarin-character-menu-authentic Chinese cuisine that is good for cheap eats. Vegetarians welcome. $5-$15. edit
- Stub and Herbs, 227 Oak St SE (at Washington), ☎ +1 612 379-1880, . Su-W 11AM-1AM, Th-Sa 11AM-2AM. If you're not up for a perpetual Ladies' Night and preening Greeks, Stub and Herbs is a great bar/restaurant for those seeking standard American fare. They offer fresh soft pretzels with sweet'n'hot mustard and an expansive shot list and draft beer selection, helping to make it a local institution. Better than your average college hangout, but if you hate crowds it is best avoided on weekend evenings and game days (especially Gopher's hockey). $5-$15. edit
- Village Wok, 610 Washington Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 331-9041, . 11AM-1:45AM daily. Americanized Chinese. Expansive vegetarian menu and accomodating to vegans. $5-$15. edit
- Restaurant Alma, 528 University Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 379-4909, . Su-Th 5PM-9PM, F-Sa 5PM-10PM. Amazing food which can best be described as a combination between French, Fusion, and small-town Minnesotan. They use almost exclusively organic ingredients. $30-$60 per person for a three-course meal with wine. edit
- Kitty Cat Klub, 315 14th Ave SE (between University and 4th St), ☎ +1 612 331-9800, . A swanky nightspot. $5-$15. edit
- Sally's Saloon, 712 Washington Ave SE, . The daily dining specials at Sally's help make it a popular afternoon and evening destination among University students. At night, this is the place on the East Bank to see drunk college kids tripping over each other. edit
- Blarney Pub and Grill, 412 14th Ave SE, . A great college bar that has nightly drink specials, multiple levels and three full bars. Karaoke and long island ice tea specials bring in huge crowds on Thursday nights. edit
- Cesares Wine Bar, 102 2nd St S, Stillwater, MN 55082, ☎ 651-439-1352 (email@example.com), . A really nice wine bar where you can taste more than 350 wines from all around the world. Food menu is consisting of a few light dishes. They do wine tasting classes once a month as well. edit
- Espresso Royale, 411 14th Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 623-8127, . Plenty of tables plus a few comfy chairs. Popular with students. Free Wi-Fi. edit
- Starlight Coffee Shoppe, 407 14th Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 378-3129. edit
- Purple Onion Cafe, 1301 University Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 252-0217. edit
- Wales House, 1115 5th St SE, ☎ +1 612 331-3931, . A unique bed and breakfast in a historic home, the Wales House tries to make you feel at home during your stay. Plus a bonus is Skye, the friendly canine resident! Rooms run $70-80 a night. edit
- Days Inn University of Minnesota, 2407 University Ave SE (at Washington), ☎ +1 612 623-3999 (fax: +1 612 331-2152), . A couple blocks east of the University of Minnesota. Convenient access to Downtown Minneapolis. Complimentary shuttle within a two mile radius, plus shuttles to and from the airport for a fee. Rooms start at $69 per night. edit
- Radisson University Hotel, 615 Washington Ave SE, ☎ +1 612 379-8888 (toll free: +1 800 888-8888, fax: +1 612 379-8682), . Formerly known as the Radisson Hotel Metrodome, even through it is located about a mile away from the Dome. Located near Stadium Village, on the University of Minnesota's East Bank campus. Nearby public transit offers quick access to Downtown Minneapolis. Hotel also offers complimentary transportation by appointment within a five mile radius. High-speed internet access available. Rooms start at $105 per night. edit
- Sheraton Bloomington Hotel, 5601 West 78th Street, ☎ +1 952 835-1900, . Sheraton Bloomington Hotel is located in Bloomington, Minnesota just minutes away from Minneapolis/St. Paul airport and the nation's largest shopping and entertainment complex, Mall of America. edit
- Hennepin County Library - Southeast Branch, 1222 4th St SE (at 13th Ave), ☎ +1 612 543-6725, . Tu,Th noon-8PM, Sa 10AM-6PM. edit