South Minneapolis is a district in Minneapolis.
South Minneapolis has several interesting neighborhoods. Midtown on Lake Street between Interstate 35W and Hiawatha Avenue is home to many Latino businesses. The Seward and West Bank neighborhoods also has several interesting bars, shops and restaurants. The corner of 48th and Chicago Avenue has several restaurants, an independent movie theater, the Amazon Bookstore and other shops.
- Interstate 35W runs along the western and northern edges of the district, separating it from Southwest and Downtown.
- Interstate 94 runs to the north of the district, running alongside Interstate 35W part of the way. Further east, it separates the West Bank and Seward neighborhoods.
- Minnesota State Highway 55 (Hiawatha Avenue) runs through the district in a roughly northwest-southeast fashion. It connects the district with Downtown to the north and the airport and Fort Snelling to the south.
Streets run east/west and generally have numbers that increase as you go further south. Nicollet Avenue in Southwest Minneapolis divides the streets. Append the direction at the end of streets such as E 27th Street to indicate east of Nicollet. Avenues are numbered from Nicollet Avenue (18, 19, ... 32) continuing east to the Mississippi River, where you reach Saint Paul. The first part of addresses on the avenues are based on the nearest cross street. For example, 4000 28th Avenue South is at the corner of 28th Avenue and 40th Street.
By public transit
North/South:18 (Nicollet Ave), 11 (3rd Ave), 5 (Chicago Ave), 14 (Bloomington Ave), and 22 (Cedar Ave).
East/West: Buses 2 (Franklin Ave), 21 (Lake St), 53 (Lake St limited stop - rush hour only), and 23 (38th St). All east/west routes in South Minneapolis connect with the Hiawatha light-rail line.
The Midtown Greenway  is a paved, off road bike path that runs east/west through South Minneapolis (paralleling 28th Street) connecting the Mississippi River trails to Highway 169 in Hopkins, passing Lake Calhoun along the way. The Greenway intersects with the river trails at its easternmost point, the Hiawatha LRT trail (to downtown) at Hiawatha Avenue, and bicycle lanes at Park Avenue and Portland Avenue. The trail continues into Southwest Minneapolis, intersecting the Chain of Lakes paths via connector at Lake Calhoun, and the Cedar Lake Bikeway as well as the SW LRT Trail in Hopkins.
Bike racks are provided on the front of all city buses and inside light rail cars. The greenway and river bike paths are plowed in winter allowing year round use.
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA), 2400 3rd Avenue South, ☎ +1 612 870-3000, . M-Sa 10am-5pm, Su 11am-5pm. Widely thought to be the best arts museum in Minnesota, operated through funding by its members and state and local government grants. Exhibits and collections range among the visual arts, including photography. FREE. edit
- American Swedish Institute, 2600 Park Ave (at 26th St), ☎ +1 612 871-4907 (email@example.com), . Tu,Th-F,Su noon-5PM, W noon-8PM, Sa 10AM-5PM. $6 adults, $5 ages 62+, $4 ages 6-18 and full-time students with ID. Children under six are admitted free when accompanied by an adult. edit
- Parkway Theater, 4814 Chicago Ave (at 48th St), ☎ +1 612 822-3030, . Old cinema adjacent and connected to Pepito's. $5 regular admision. edit
- Riverview Theater, 3800 42nd Ave S (at 38th St), ☎ +1 612 729-7369 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Art deco neighborhood cinema showing second-run movies for cheap. Cash only. $2 matinees (before 6PM), $3 evening. $2 at all times for seniors (62+), children under 11, and all shows on Tuesday. edit
- Mixed Blood Theater, 1501 S 4th St, ☎ +1 612 338-0937, . edit
- Southern Theater, 1420 Washington Ave S (at Seven Corners), ☎ +1 612 340-1725, . edit
- Theatre in the Round, 245 Cedar Ave S (at Seven Corners), ☎ +1 612 333-3010, . edit
- Dreamhaven Books and Comics, 2301 E 38th St (at 23rd Ave), ☎ +1 612 823-6161 (fax: +1 612 823-6062), . Tu-Sa noon-7PM. New and used science fiction, fantasy, horror, film and art books, comics, an adults-only room. Mail order and in-store readings. edit
- True Colors Bookstore (formerly Amazon Bookstore), 4755 Chicago Ave (at 48th St), ☎ +1 612 821-9630, . Tu-F 11AM-8PM, Sa 11AM-6PM, Su noon-5PM. Founded in 1970 under the name Amazon, well before the online book retailer of the same name; the store changed it name to True Colors during a change of ownership in late 2008. Boasts the title of the oldest independent feminist book store in North America. The store is practically a Minneapolis institution. edit
- Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction and Uncle Edgar's Mystery, 2864 Chicago Ave (at Lake St), ☎ Uncle Hugo's: +1 612 824-6347, Uncle Edgar's: +1 612 824-9984 (UncleHugo@aol.com, fax: +1 612 827-6394), . M-F 10AM-8PM, Sa 10AM-6PM, Su noon-5PM. Uncle Hugo's dates back to 1974 while Uncle Edgar's dates back to 1980. Originally separate businesses, they have shared the same storefront since 1984. A treasure trove of used and new science fiction, fantasy, and mystery books. It is the oldest science fiction/fantasy book store in North America, and has a well-earned national reputation for its vast selection. The prices are reasonable and you can get an extra 10% off all purchases by buying a $4 discount card. If you're buying more than $40 worth of books, it pays for itself with the first purchase. edit
- Hymie's Vintage Records, 3820 E Lake St (between 38th and 39th Ave), ☎ +1 612 729-8890 (email@example.com), . M-Sa 11AM-7PM, Su 1PM-6PM. (44.948265,-93.217437) edit
- Mercado Central, 1515 E Lake St (at Bloomington), . 9AM-8PM daily. Latin American indoor market with many food options. edit
- Midtown Global Market, 920 E Lake St (between Elliot and 10th Ave), ☎ +1 612 872-4041 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1 612 872-0095), . M-Sa 10AM-8PM, Su 11AM-6PM; a handful of businesses may open earlier or close later. The Midtown Global Market is located in what used to be a large Sears store, and is now home to a variety of cafes and restaurants from all around the world. The selection includes an American diner, Mexican tamales, a Middle Eastern deli and buffet, Nepali dumplings, and everything in between. edit
- Modern Times Cafe, 3200 Chicago Ave (at 32nd St), ☎ +1 612 886-3882, . Tu-F 7AM-5PM, Sa-Su 9AM-5PM. Diner open for breakfast and lunch. Vegan options available. edit
- Pineda Tacos, 2150 E Lake St (at 22nd Ave), ☎ +1 612 722-3580. 9:30AM-11PM daily. edit
- Qoraxlow, 1821 E Lake St (at Cedar), ☎ +1 612 822-4480. Somali fare. edit
- Taquería La Hacienda, 334 E Lake St (at 4th Ave), ☎ +1 612 822-2715, . M-Th 8:30AM-midnight, F-Su 24 hours. In addition to the location listed here, La Hacienda also has a stall at Mercado Central. edit
- Taquería Los Ocampo, 809 E Lake St (at Chicago), ☎ +1 612 825-4978 (fax: +1 612 825-6205), . M-Th 8AM-midnight, F-Sa 8AM-2AM, Su 8AM-1AM. In addition to the standalone location listed here, Los Ocampo also has stalls at the Midtown Global Market and Lake Plaza. edit
West Bank and Seward
- Acadia Cafe, 329 Cedar Ave (at Riverside), ☎ +1 612 874-8702, . 8AM-1AM daily. Acadia moved from it's original home at Franklin & Nicollet into the old Riverside Cafe spot that many restaurants tried to renew, and now Acadia has succeeded. Their menu features 28 beers on tap and 40+ bottle brews plus a well-rounded selection of wine and mixed drinks. A full kitchen serves burgers, fries, appetizers, grilled and cold sandwiches, as well as desserts and a full espresso bar. The cabaret spirit of the old adjacent mini-theater space now fills the new cafe, as before with an eclectic mix of all original music, performed Wednesday through Sunday nights, but with no cover charge! edit
- Blue Nile Restaurant, 2027 E Franklin Ave (at 21st Ave), ☎ +1 612 338-3000, . Su-Th 4PM-10PM, F-Sa 4PM-11PM. Rather popular, Blue Nile is self-identified as "Pan-African Cuisine", though easily 90% of the fare on the menu is of Ethiopian origin, with sambusas, curries, and bread dishes. $10-20. edit
- Hard Times Cafe, 1821 Riverside Ave (between Cedar and 19th Ave), ☎ +1 612 341-9261. 6AM-4AM daily. This all-vegetarian cooperatively-owned diner is a haven for punks, anarchists, hippies, students, and anyone wanting mile-high nachos and wake-the-dead coffee. The entrees range from dirt-cheap to moderate, all in copious amounts, and the bathroom graffiti is art in and of itself. They're open 365 days a year, 22 hours a day--perfect for that pre- or post-bar hangover cure. No credit cards. edit
- Jewel of India, 1427 Washington Ave S (at Seven Corners), ☎ +1 612 339-0002 (fax: +1 612 338-5386), . M-F 11:30AM-2:30PM and 4:30PM-10PM, Sa noon-3PM and 4:30PM-10PM, Su noon-3PM and 4:30PM-9:30PM. The local Indian population, largely consisting of students at the University of Minnesota, gather here to watch cricket matches through the middle of the night but go elsewhere to eat. edit
- Moti Mahal, 3025 E Franklin Ave, ☎ +1 612 343-2222. Very authentic and simplistic North Indian food. They seem to have fewer customers and the owner is very friendly. edit
- Pizza Lucé, 2200 E Franklin Ave (at 22nd St), ☎ +1 612 332-2535, . 11AM-2:30AM daily. edit
- Seward Cafe, 2129 E Franklin Ave (at 22nd Ave), ☎ +1 612 332-1011, . M-F 7AM-3PM, Sa-Su 8AM-4PM. Vegetarian cafe located a few blocks east of the Franklin Avenue light-rail station. Open for breakfast and lunch only. edit
- Tam Tam's African Restaurant, 605 Cedar Ave (at 6th St), ☎ +1 612 339-0854, . Owned by a Uganadan, this restaurant offers a wide variety of dishes from both his native land as well as West Africa and Ethiopia. edit
- True Thai, 2627 E Franklin Ave (at 27th Ave), ☎ +1 612 375-9942, . Su-Th 11AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-11PM. True Thai consistently ranks among the best in the Twin Cities. The salmon dishes, Choo Chee Curry, and Pad Thai are amazing at True Thai. A new dining room and party room were added on in 2008. A lunch buffet is available Monday through Friday 11AM-2PM. $9-$17 dollars per person for an entree and drink. edit
- The Wienery, 414 Cedar Ave (south of Riverside), ☎ +1 612 746-4509 (email@example.com), . Su-Th 10AM-7PM, F-Sa 10AM-8PM. Small, family owned diner that serves basic fare. It's where the punks, aging hippies and various harmless riff-raff go for breakfast or a lunch of fries, burgers, brats or hotdogs slathered with your choice of toppings. They also carry veggie dogs for the vegetarian in you. The fries are shredded right in front of you and come out oh so crisp! No credit cards. edit
- 5-8 Club, 5800 Cedar Ave (at 58th St, along the frontage road west of Hwy 77), ☎ +1 612 823-5858, . M-W 11AM-11PM, Th-Su 11AM-midnight. One of the more popular places in town to get a Juicy Lucy. Has a rivalry with Matt's Bar. edit
- Fat Lorenzo's, 5600 Cedar Ave (at Edgewater Blvd), ☎ +1 612 822-2040, . Su-Th 11AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-11PM. Good service, good pizza. "Fat" is in the name of the place, so plan accordingly. A good first stop or last stop on your way to or from the airport. Beer and wine. edit
- Gandhi Mahal, 3009 27th Ave S (at Lake), ☎ +1 612 729-5222 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . M-Th 11:30AM-11PM, F-Sa 11:30AM-midnight, Su 11:30AM-10PM. Northern Indian food, vegetarian friendly. Buffet available during lunch hours. $4-$17. edit
- Jakeeno's, 3555 Chicago Ave (at 36th St), ☎ +1 612 825-6827 (fax: +1 612 825-0311), . M-F 11AM-11PM, Sa-Su 4PM-11PM. Jakeeno's offers good pizza and other pasta dishes. Try the potato and rosemary pizza. Jakeeno's is clean, friendly and family-run. Wine and beer served. edit
- Matt's Bar, 3500 Cedar Ave (at 35th St), ☎ +1 612 722-7072, . M-W 11AM-midnight, Th-Sa 11AM-1AM, Su noon-midnight. Claims to have invented the Jucy Lucy (note the spelling difference). $5 Jucy Lucys, $3-5 other burgers/sandwiches. Cash only. edit
- Midori's Floating World Cafe, 2629 E Lake St (at 27th Ave), ☎ +1 612 721-3011 (email@example.com), . Tu-W 11:30AM-2PM and 5PM-9PM, Th-F 11:30AM-2PM and 5PM-10PM, Sa noon-2PM and 5PM-10PM, Su 4PM-8PM. A Japanese restaurant in the Longfellow neighborhood, located a few blocks east of the Lake Street LRT station. They have great sushi, and other Japanese food as well. Meal prices are higher at dinner, but pretty reasonable during lunch time. Sushi prices are actually pretty decent, especially when compared to other sushi joints in the city. Vegetarian and vegan friendly. edit
- Pepitos, 4820 Chicago Ave (at 48th St), ☎ +1 612 822-2104, . Su-Th 11AM–9PM, F-Sa 11AM–9PM. There's a full bar, a kid-friendly menu and good food at reasonable prices. If you're traveling with a toddler and want decent food in a family-friendly restaurant, Pepitos has a good kid's menu with items for $4.95 each and the food comes fast. So you and yours can eat before your two year-old throws the entire bowl of chips at the adjoining booth. Connected to the Parkway Theater next door. edit
- Rail Station Bar and Grill, 3675 Minnehaha Ave (at 37th St), ☎ +1 612 729-3663 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 8AM-2AM daily. A sports bar and restaurant in the Longfellow neighborhood, located a few blocks east of the 38th Street LRT station. They have great wings, and American food. Meal prices are very reasonable and they have an early bird dinner during the week. They also have bar bingo and meat raffles. (44.936233,-93.225152) edit
- T's Place, 2713 E Lake St (between 27th and 28th Aves), ☎ +1 612 724-8868, . 4PM-2AM daily. A self-proclaimed "Ethiopian-Asian" restaurant, this eatery and bar features traditional Ethiopian and Malaysian dishes as well as plates fusing the two cuisines. edit
- Hexagon Bar, 2600 27th Ave S (at 26th St), ☎ +1 612 722-3454, . Dive bar in the Seward neighborhood hosts free live shows Thursday through Saturday nights. edit
- Nomad World Pub, 501 Cedar Ave (at 5th St), ☎ +1 612 338-6424, . M-F 3PM-2AM, Sa-Su 8AM-2AM. Live music some nights. Bocce ball court outside. edit
- Triple Rock Social Club, 629 Cedar Ave (at 7th St), ☎ +1 612-333-7399 (email@example.com), . M-F 4PM-2AM, Sa-Su 10AM-2AM. Punk and hipster bar with a music venue attached next door, hosting all ages, 18+ and 21+ gigs. Bar food available, along with a breakfast menu on the weekends, and plenty of vegetarian and vegan options you wouldn't expect from a drinking establishment. edit
- Acadia Cafe, 329 Cedar Ave (at Riverside), ☎ +1 612 874-8702, . 8AM-1AM daily. edit
- Angry Catfish Coffee Bar, 4208 28th Ave S (at 42nd St), ☎ +1 612 722-1538, . M-F 7AM-7PM, Sa-Su 8AM-5PM. Coffee shop that's tied to a bicycle shop. Coffee beans are sourced from Intelligentsia in Chicago. edit
- Blue Moon Coffee Cafe, 3822 E Lake St (at 39th Ave), ☎ +1 612 721-9230, . M-F 7AM-10PM, Sa-Su 8AM-10PM. edit
- 2nd Moon Coffee Cafe, 2225 E Franklin Ave (between Milwaukee and 23rd Ave), ☎ +1 612 343-4255, . M-F 7AM-11PM, Sa-Su 8AM-11PM. edit
- May Day Cafe, 3440 Bloomington Ave (st 35th St), ☎ +1 612 729-5627. M-F 6:30AM-6PM, Sa 7AM-6PM, Su 7:30AM-6PM. A coffee shop near Powderhorn Park with a selection of baked goods, including a couple vegan options. The place is popular and quite small, so it gets crowded very often; don't be surprised if a complete stranger grabs a seat at your table. edit
- Wonderland Park Coffee Shop (Peace Coffee), 3262 Minnehaha Ave (at 33rd St), ☎ +1 612 877-7760, . M-Sa 6:30AM-7PM, Su 8AM-2PM. Coffee shop operated by Peace Coffee , a locally-based brand of organic fair trade coffee. edit
- Holiday Inn Metrodome, 1500 Washington Ave S (between Cedar and 19th Ave), ☎ +1 612 333-4646 (toll free: +1-800-448-3663, fax: +1 612 333-7910), . checkin: 4PM; checkout: Noon. Hotel just outside of Downtown Minneapolis that puts all of the area's most recognizable attractions within easy reach, from the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome and the convention center to the University of Minnesota and the Mall of America. $115+. edit
- Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel, 2901 Chicago Ave S (next to the Midtown Global Market), ☎ +1 612 821-7600 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1 612 821-7924), . checkin: 3PM; checkout: Noon. Located near the Midtown Exchange (formerly a large Sears store and warehouse, now home to a world bazaar-style marketplace, restaurants, office space, condos and apartments) near Lake and Chicago Avenues. $159+. edit
- Hennepin County Library - East Lake Branch, 2727 E Lake St (bewteen 27th and 28th Aves), ☎ +1 612 543-8425, . Tu,Th noon-8PM, W,F-Sa 10AM-6PM, Su noon-5PM. edit
- Hennepin County Library - Franklin Branch, 1314 E Franklin Ave (between 13th and 14th Aves), ☎ +1 612 543-6925, . Tu,Th noon-8PM, W,F-Sa 10AM-6PM. edit
- Hennepin County Library - Hosmer Branch, 347 E 36th St (at 4th Ave), ☎ +1 612 543-6900, . Tu,Th noon-8PM, W,F-Sa 10AM-6PM, Su noon-5PM. edit
- Hennepin County Library - Nokomis Branch, 5100 34th Ave S (at 51st St), ☎ +1 612 543-6800, . Tu,Th noon-8PM, W,F-Sa 10AM-6PM. edit
- Hennepin County Library - Roosevelt Branch, 4026 28th Ave S (between 40th and 41st Sts), ☎ +1 612 543-6700, . Closed for renovations. edit
- While Midtown now has the largest concentration of Mexican businesses in the Twin Cities, the oldest Mexican neighborhood in the area is on the West Side of Saint Paul, where the community dates back to the 1930s.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!