||WARNING: A heavy conflict is going on in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (Basilan, Lanao Del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi) between Muslim militias and the Philippine government. Foreign authorities advise to exercise extreme caution if traveling to the island of Mindanao. In 2013, separatist and terrorist groups increased the tempo and scale of their activities and confrontations with Philippine security forces, with increased bombings, attacks on civilians and political leaders, and battles with security forces. . The following governments advise you do not travel to Mindanao due to the security situation: US , UK , Australia , Chinese , Canada , Ireland 
Mindanao is an island in the Southern Philippines.
- Cagayan de Oro - city on the north coast famous for rafting and kayaking
- Davao - the largest city in Mindanao, near Mt. Apo, highest mountain in the Philippines
- Cotabato - multicultural city with the largest mosque in the country, and the seat of Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao
- Iligan - city of 24 waterfalls
- General Santos - the southern most city of Philippines
- Zamboanga - Spanish colonial heritage city, nicknamed "Asia's latin city"
- Surigao - gateway to white sand and pebble rock beaches, as well as some beautiful islands
- Bislig - small town and a good base for exploring nearby "Enchanted river", as well as famous "Tinuy-An Falls"
- Britania Islands - group of small beautiful islands in Surigao del Sur province.
- Enchanted River - an unusual river which changes its colors, near the town of Hinatuan
Ferries from the island of Leyte in Eastern Visayas go several times a day, and cost about 150 pesos per person by Montenegro lines shipping company. The fare for motorcycle (together with driver) is 440 pesos (December 2016).
Many governments advise to avoid all travel to the island of Mindanao. Mindanao is one of the very few places where terrorist activities occur in the Philippines and the risk of being kidnapped is severely elevated. Some hostages are held for months, if not years before being released if they are lucky. Bomb blasts are a regular occurrence in Mindanao  and most cities have experienced attacks including Cagayan De Oro and Davao .