- For a weekend getaway, see A Weekend in Middletown (Rhode Island)
Middletown lies south of Portsmouth, RI and north of Newport, RI. This geographical location is what gave this town its name. Middletown was founded in 1743 when unjust taxation and a growing population caused freeholders in Newport to petition for independence. In 1731, the land that Middletown occupies was set apart and the town began.
Today, Middletown is a small yet bustling community. There are many places to eat and sleep as Middletown provides a port to many tourists to Newport, RI. Middletown has very interesting history including Nicolas Cage's purchase of the "Grey Craig" (a very large home) in August of 2007.
To get into Middletown, or anywhere on Aquidneck Island, You can take one of three bridges: The Newport Bridge (Claiborne Pell Bridge), from Jamestown, Rhode Island, The Sakonnet River Bridge, from Tiverton, Rhode Island, or the Mount Hope Bridge, from Bristol, Rhode Island.
Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) offers (in season) daily trolley/bus service to all major points of interest in Middletown.
There are also several local cab companies that provide service around Middletown and Aquidneck Island:
- Cozy Cab (401) 846-1500. Provides cab service around Aquidneck Island, as well as a shuttle to T.F. Green Airport.
- Rainbow Cab 401-849-1333
- Orange Cab 401-841-0030
- Norman Bird Sanctuary, 583 Third Beach Road, ☎ 401-846-2577, . Daily 9am-5pm. A 300 acre sanctuary for deer, fox, over 300 species of birds. Marked nature trails of up to 1.1 mi each (no pets permitted on trails). Lovely coastal views. $6 for adults, $3 for children 3-12, children under 12 free. edit
- Sachuest Town Beach, Sachuest Point Road. Known as Second Beach to locals, this is the largest beach in the area. Here you can find great surf, fine sand, showers, and a concession stand. Seasonal parking passes are available in the beginning of the summer season. edit
- Third Beach, Third Beach Road. This beach is known for its calm surf, which is perfect for water sports and small children. There are no public bathrooms or concession stand offered at this beach, but parking is available. edit
- Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge, 769 Sachuest Point Road, . sunrise to sunset; visitor center open 10am-4pm. A large, 242 acre refuge that is ideal for brisk walks and scenic views. Many, roughly 1.1 mile long trails some follow the shoreline for calming walks. Sachuest is a great area for bird watching. Saltwater fishing allowed with permit. edit
- Flaherty Charters, ☎ 401-848-5554, . editCharter a fishing boat.</do>
- Island Cinemas, 866 West Main Road, ☎ 401-847-3456. Brand new cinemas - just redone a couple of years ago. Available to host birthday parties for kids - have a small 'game room' in the front entrance. Seats are comfortable and recline - and are also a good size. A great movie theater. edit
- Newport National Golf Club, 324 Mitchell's Lane, ☎ 401-848-9690, . edit 18 holes, par 72, 7,244 yards, rating: 74.4, slope: 138. Rated #1 in Rhode Island by Golf Digest and GolfWeek.</do>
- Newport Vineyards, 909 East Main Road (Rte. 138), ☎ 401-848-5161, . Winery tours available 7 days a week. Check their website for special events! edit
- Potter League for Animals, 87 Oliphant Lane, ☎ 401-846-8276, . Closed Mondays. Open Tuesdays 10am-4pm, Wednesdays 10am-7pm, and Thursday-Sunday 10am-4pm. A great pet adoption organization with a state of the art environmentally friendly building! They provide temporary housing for stray cats, dogs, and other small animals. They also work with rescue organizations all over the country to house animals that would otherwise have to be euthanized for a lack of space. It is a great place to adopt a new pet. If you are on vacation with your dog(s), bring them here for a walk! edit
- Skydive Newport, Newport State Airport, 211 Airport Access Road, ☎ 401-845-0393, . Skydive Newport offers exhilarating and breathtaking experiences. With highly trained staff and exceptional safety equipment, Skydive Newport makes sure all experiences are as safe as possible. The jump areas include over the various beaches in Newport as well as Narragansett Bay. Tandem jumps are $230 per person ($220 cash discount, $210 cash discount for military/students). Photos and videos may also be taken and purchased ($95 per person for photo and video). edit
- Island Surf & Sport, 86 Aquidneck Avenue, ☎ 401-846-4421, . edit
- Mommy & Me, 496 East Main Road, ☎ 401-842-0848, . Sells consignment maternity, nursing, baby, and children’s clothing. edit
- Staples, 898 West Main Rd, Middletown, RI, ☎ 401-848-0100. A great office supply, furniture and electronics store with very friendly staff. This store performs computer repair. edit
- Walrus & Carpenter Toys, 909 East Main Road, ☎ 401-849-0012. edit
- Anthony's Seafood & Restaurant, 963 Aquidneck Avenue, ☎ 401-848-5058, . A casual sit-down restaurant with fresh, local seafood. Also has a retail fish market. edit
- Aquidneck Pizza, 27 Aquidneck Avenue, . Sun-Thu 7am-11pm, Fri-Sat 7am-3am. Aquidneck Pizza is available for private parties, or is simply open for a meal whenever you need one. Open late - until 3 am on the weekends, and 11 pm all weeknights. They also deliver their full menu to all of Newport and Middletown. Some favorites to check out are the buffalo chicken pizzas, curly fries and any kind of sub! Enjoy. edit
- Atlantic Beach Club, 53 Purgatory Road, ☎ 401-847-2750, . Another local favorite! Located right on the water, the Atlantic Beach Club has beautiful views and hosts many events. Eat out on the patio in the summertime and enjoy live music on the weekends. Great brunch too! edit
- Atlantic Grille, 91 Aquidneck Avenue, . Monday-Thursday 6am-3pm, Friday 6am-8pm, Saturday 6am-3pm, Sunday 6am-2pm. Great service, a relaxing environment and good food. edit
- Batik Garden, 11 East Main Rd, Middletown, RI, ☎ 401-848-0663. Chinese cuisine served buffet style. The food is fairly average with the exception of superb Hot & Sour Soup. All-you-can-eat that is reasonably priced (roughly $12 per person) with a calm atmosphere and polite service. Alcohol is served and there is an accompanying bar. edit
- Becky’s Real BBQ, 82 East Main Road, ☎ 401-841-9909, . edit
- Blue Plate Diner, 665 West Main Rd, Middletown, RI, ☎ 401-848-9500, . A very popular diner that serves all-American food that is well-prepared and fresh. Serves breakfast, lunch and dinner along with a wide variety of tasty desserts. Prices are average in comparison to other eat-in restaurants. Very friendly atmosphere and retro look. edit
- Carmella’s Pizzeria, 330 West Main Road, ☎ (401) 847-2424, . 11am-10pm. open 7 days a week from 11am-10pm during regular hours. Winter hours are from Nov – March and the store closes at 9pm Sun-Wed. Accepts online orders. edit
- Chelsea’s, 1015 Aquidneck Avenue, ☎ 401-846-2770, . This diner is a favorite with locals. Open for breakfast and lunch daily. Expect a wait on the weekends. Cash only, so stop by an ATM before coming here. edit
- Ching Tao Restaurant, 268 West Main Rd, Middletown, RI, ☎ 401-849-2112, . Ching Tao is home to very fine, authentic Chinese cuisine. The atmosphere is very charming and the service is polite and quick. The portions served are large and satisfying. Deliveries can be made and are free of a delivery fee for purchases of ten dollars or more. Alcohol is also served here. edit
- Coddington Brewing Company, 210 Coddington Highway, . A great place for dinner - very upscale, and great food / beer. They make their beer on site, and have a decent sized selection to choose from, something for everyone to like. It is a good spot for family outings, or a night out with the spouse. Highly recommended. Visit their website at www.coddbrew.com. edit
- Custom House Coffee, 796 Aquidneck Avenue, ☎ 401-842-0008. Monday-Thursday: 6am-6pm, Friday and Saturday: 6am-10pm, Sunday: 6am-1pm. This café roasts its own beans on site. Serves beer, wine, and liquor. Has a selection of fresh pastries, sandwiches, salads, and quiches, as well as pizzas from Pizza Hollywood next door. edit
- D'Angelos, 553 West Main Road, ☎ 401-849-1120, . A great sub / sandwich restaurant - all sandwiches made fresh to order. Many people go here for a sandwich while on their lunch break - and use their 'rewards' card to earn points towards a free meal. edit
- Del's Lemonade of Middletown, 729 West Main Road, . Del's lemonade has been around for some time. While all stores don't carry every flavor, Del's has 'on tap' Lemon, Watermelon, Cherry, Peach/Mango, Blueberry, Light Lemon, Grapefruit and Pomegranate lemonades. This is not regular lemonade, but closer to a 'slushy' - having the flavor mixed in with chopped up ice chunks (and often times pieces of actual lemon). They have trucks and carts that are located all over Aquidneck Island - where you can pick up a lemonade to cool off. edit
- Easton’s Point Pub & Restaurant, 116 Aquidneck Avenue, ☎ 401-847-0001. edit
- Fatulli's Gourmet Bakery and Deli, 909 East Main Road, ☎ 401-847-5166, . Located next to Newport Vineyards, this bakery is known for its fresh sandwiches made to your specifications as well as its array of soups, salads, and freshly made bread. edit
- Flo’s Clam Shack & Raw Bar, 44 Wave Avenue, ☎ 401-847-8141. Open during the spring and summer: Monday-Friday: 11pm-9pm Saturday and Sunday: 11am-10pm. A great place for fish and chips - or any fried sea food. Bar upstairs. edit
- Frosty Freeze, 495 East Main Road, ☎ 401-846-1697. Frosty Freeze is a great place to grab a delicious Ice Cream treat. They are open from 1 April, through 30 September - a schedule they have stayed true to for the last 51 years. They have a wide variety of both soft serve and 'hard' serve ice cream - as well as shakes, sundaes, and anything else you might expect at an ice cream shop. They are located right off of East Main road, and have a small area with picnic tables to sit at. Get there early, because the line usually stretches around the side of the building on a summer night. edit
- IHOP - International House of Pancakes, 159 West Main Road, ☎ 401-847-9818, . Sun - Thu 6am - 2am / Fri & Sat 6am - 3am. Ihop is a great place to stop in for breakfast - or a late dinner. Open late - until between 2-3 am all week, it is a great place to stop at after a long night out. The food is great, and breakfast is served all day long. If you're not feeling like breakfast - have some other delicious meal from the menu. edit
- Pizza Hollywood, 238 East Main Rd, Middletown, RI, ☎ 401-846-2727. Pizza Hollywood is a local favorite when it comes to pizza places. The pizzas served are well-prepared and very flavorful. The choices of pizza toppings are extensive and the pizzas themselves are priced similar to most mainstream pizza shops (such as Dominos). Pizza Hollywood does make deliveries. edit
- Siam Square, 238 E Main Road, ☎ (401) 851-7988, . 11:30-9:00. Delicious Thai food at reasonable prices. Has all the classic Thai dishes served in a comfortable atmosphere. Closed on Mondays. edit
- Tito's Cantina Mexican Grill, 651 West Main Road, ☎ 401-849-4222, . M-F 11 am - 9 pm Sat 12 pm - 8 pm Sun 11 am - 9:30 pm. Check out Tito's Tacos for some great tasting Mexican food. This place has a great menu and was recently renovated - now has a bar! As soon as you walk in, you can feel the Mexican vibe - eat delicious chips and salsa while you wait for your food and cool down with a tasty drink of your choice. Check out the menu at www.titos.com. Enjoy! edit
- Bay Willows Inn, 1225 Aquidneck Avenue (Route 138A), Phone: 401-847-8400.
- Best Western Atlantic Beach Hotel, 34 Wave Avenue, +1 401 847-5330, Fax: +1 401 847-8041, .
- Carriage House Inn, 93 Miantonomi Ave, Phone: 401-841-0018. 
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 317 West Main Road (Route 114), Phone: 401-848-6555.
- Howard Johnson Inn, 351 West Main Road (Route 114), Phone: 401-849-2000.
- Paradise Motel, 459 Aquidneck Avenue (Route 138A), Phone: 401-847-1500.
- Sandpiper Cottage, 985 East Main Road (Route 138), Phone: 401-847-9726.
- Sea View Inn, 240 Aquidneck Avenue (Route 138A), Phone: 401-324-6200.
- Sea Whale Motel, 150 Aquidneck Avenue (Route 138A), Phone: 401-846-7071.
- Residence Inn by Marriott, 325 West Main Rd, Phone: 401 845 2005, . All-suite hotel, 2 miles from downtown Newport, offers separate areas for sleeping, living, eating, and a fully equipped kitchen. Indoor swimming pool & whirlpool. Free hot breakfast buffet daily, social events M-Th, beer and wine bar, summer barbeques, and free internet.
|Routes through Middletown