Merrickville  is on the Rideau Canal in eastern Ontario, Canada.
Merrickville modestly claims to be Canada’s prettiest village, a claim not without merit on a sunny summer day. The village center consists entirely of picturesque Victorian-era stone houses, and it's perched by the waters of the Rideau Canal. Its population is about 1,200, and it is otherwise a typical small town.
Merrickville is an easy 45 min drive southwest of Ottawa. It can also be reached easily from Highway 401 in the south. Take exit 705 east of Brockville. It is about a 30 min drive straight north.
The Rideau Canal between Kingston and Ottawa passes through Merrickville. Rentals, docking, and marine service is available from Aylings Boat Yard , a short walk from down town. Docking is also available at the nearby locks.
Central Merrickville is easily covered on foot or bike. One can also explore the locks and town's shore by canoe. The nearest VIA Rail service is located either in Brockville, Smith Falls or Ottawa, depending on your direction of travel.
Merrickville's labeled sights are all rather low-key, the real fun is in walking around, admiring the houses and popping into shops.
- Blockhouse Museum, by the canal. Built in 1832, this tiny little fortress was built to house up to 50 soldiers guarding the Rideau Canal.
- Industrial Heritage Complex. Covers a number of old buildings in and around the dam and the mill, one of which has been turned into a small museum on the history of industry in Merrickville. Free entry.
- The Rideau Trail  passes near Merrickville.
Merrickville is chock full of arts and crafts shops.
- Canal Gallery, 230 St Lawrence Street, sells original art, prints, canvas transfers, and operates a custom picture framing service. It is in the Larkspur Lane Mall. A new addition to its product lines is the sale and rental of canoes and kayaks.  and 
- David Paterson's Glassblowing Studio, on the main street of Merrickville. Original works in glass hand-crafted on the premises out of liquid molten glass.
- Doree's Habit, 212 St. Lawrence Street, ☎ +1 613 269 9322. A large selection of unique jewelry, clothing, scarves and purses. edit
- Kevin Robert Gray Glassblowing Located at 635 St. Lawrence Street. Come and see creative glass art made from recycled crystal. Studio and gallery are open daily for demonstrations. Samples of Kevin's work are here: 
- Miller's of Merrickville Country Store, 323 St. Lawrence Street, ☎ (613) 269-2575, . 10am to 5pm. Miller's of Merrickville Country Store features a large selection of country decor and unique garden accessories. Their outdoor “Garden Fixins’ Courtyard” is always stocked full of whimsical garden accessories and unique hand-crafted decorations. edit
- Rideau Woodland Ramble. One of Canada's Top Gardening Destinations, located minutes east of Merrickville on 210 Burritt's Rapids Road. Their mission is "to capture the imagination of gardeners and collectors". A 'must see' for any gardener. 
- Village Foundry, next to the locks. Canada's oldest still-operating iron foundry, producing anything and everything from cast iron. 
- Wood-N-Feathers, 206 Main Street West, ☎ +1 613 269 2299. A gift shop and wood carving studio in the restored Exchange Hotel. Also has men's clothing, music, candles and Canadian made items. edit
- The Baldachin Fine Dining Room & Harry McLean’s Pub. Opens at 11AM, 7 days a week. Relaxed casual dining, specializing in the the finest imported and domestic beer and wine. Savoury and organic daily specials including an extensive fine dining menu in the Baldachin dining room. 
- Goose and Gridiron. A large selection of pub grub plus a few American favorites like burgers and clam chowder, and a good selection of beers on tap. Mains $10-20. Open every day from 11AM.
Merrickville has about a dozen B&Bs and two Inns.
- Sam Jakes Inn, 118 Main ST E, ☎ +1 613 269-3711, . Victorian stone mansion built in 1861.
- The Wolford House Bed and Breakfast. Hosts: Brian and Carol Carty, 826 County Road 23, Merrickville, Ontario ☎ +1 613 269-3112 . Acknowledged in “Best Places to Bed and Breakfast in Ontario” as a must stay place while visiting Merrickville. Good hosts.
- Aincroft House Bed & Breakfast. Wheelchair accessible retreat on a quiet wooded acreage. Large comfortable rooms with ensuite bathrooms. Hosts: George & Sharon Atkinson, 323 Wallace Street, Merrickville, Ontario, Canada ☎ +1 613 269-4497
- Body Holistic Spa, ☎ +1 613 799-4390, . A Holistic spa practising natural, nurturing methods for mind, body and spirit. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!