Merimbula is a beachside town on the far South Coast of the Australian state of New South Wales.
Merimbula is the name derived from the Aboriginal word "Two lakes".
Merimbula is a predominantly a tourist town, with a majority of the town's earnings coming from tourism. There is a wide range of holiday accommodation in the area including motels, self-contained units and holiday houses for rent.
The resort in the middle of the Sapphire Coast is one of the prime places to engage in activities such as a day picnic, a long walk or an afternoon at one of the town's clean, clear blue beaches.
Merimbula Airport (IATA: MIM) is situated 2 km from the town centre. It is served by Regional Express Airlines daily from Melbourne and Sydney.
Merimbula can be accessed by Arthur Kaine Drive which is accessible from Pambula off the Princess Highway from Melbourne. A 6 hr drive from Melbourne and a 3 to 3.5 hr drive from Canberra. A 6 hour drive south of Sydney.
- Magic Mountain Theme Park
- Big Top Amusement Centre
- Boardwalk around Merimbula Lake
- Merimbula Aquarium with feeding at 11:30AM on Wednesdays and Fridays
- Headland Fishing Charters (Joe & Adele Gatt), 8 Seaview Avenue Merimbula (Off Princess Highway, turn right at McDonalds and 3rd turn on left.), ☎ phone=+61 2 6495 1134, . Fishing Charter. Very professional operation offering assistance for those who need. Fishing types: reef, game, shark and Kingfish. Dolphin and whale watching - seasonal September, October and November with sightings guaranteed in October, or money back. edit
- Potoroo Palace Native Animal Educational Sanctuary, 2372 Princes Hwy (9ks north of town on the Princes Hwy), ☎ 02 6494 9225, . 10-4. A wildlife park famous locally for its personal staff approach. Talks are intimate and you get to touch lots of different animals - including an echidna (you have to pat it the right way!) and a huge python. The park itself is quite relaxing with ponds, lunch areas and giant gameboards for the kids. There is a big stone cafe and a park "train". Koalas, dingoes, birds, emus wandering about, and the kangaroos really like being tickled on the chest. Tip: grab a bag of animal food on your way in. $17 adults, kids $10-12, family $47.50, group discounts. edit
- Santa Fe Restaurant, Upstairs Merimbula Plaza, Beach St., Merimbula. (Near the corner of Alice St. opposite Tourist Information Centre), ☎ (02) 6495 4073, . One of the most popular restaurants in the area specialising in Modern Mexican. edit
- Merimbula RSL has great food at cheap prices, recommend the seafood platter for two.
- Merimbula Motor Lodge, 131 Merimbula Drive, ☎ +61 26495 1748 (fax: +61 2 6495 2188), . $75 and up. edit
- Capri Apartments, 38-40 Main St (on Princes Hwy), ☎ =61 2 6495 2367, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 9:30AM. 2 and 3 bedroom self contained apartments. The upstairs apartments (and some downstairs apartments) have water views of Merimbula Lake and the entrance to the Pacific Ocean. A/C, TV and DVD, wifi, laundry, stove, fridge/freezer, cutlery, pots, pans and other cooking accessories. Swimming pool, spa and BBQ area. Off street parking is available (can cater boats and trailers - check availability when booking). From $520/week. edit