Melbourne  is on East Central Florida's Space Coast in Brevard County.
While most of Melbourne is located on the mainland, a small portion is located on a barrier island. The Indian River Lagoon separates the mainland from the island. The island is a narrow strip of land that separates the Lagoon from the Atlantic Ocean.
Spanning the Indian River Lagoon to connect the mainland to the barrier island are a pair of four-lane, high-rise bridges -- the Melbourne Causeway and the Eau Gallie Causeway.
Melbourne International Airport (IATA: MLB), (321) 723-6227 ext. 222, . Serves Florida's Space and Treasure Coasts with domestic and international passenger and air freight service. Utilizing convenient, state-of-the-art facilities, the Melbourne International Airport is served by Delta and US Airways as well as regional carriers. The Airport also provides services including charter passenger flights, private aviation, and air freight flights.
Other nearby airports include:
- Orlando International Airport (MCO) 64 miles NW of Melbourne.
- Orlando-Sanford International Airport (SFB) 84 miles NW of Melbourne.
- Daytona Beach International Airport (DAB) 90 miles N of Melbourne.
- Space Coast Area Transit  is the Brevard County bus service. It is a cheap way to get around and is handicap accessible. The website provides maps and timetables. Buses travel to most sites and places of interest.
The best way to get around Melbourne is by car. Major Roads include:
- U.S. Highway 1. Harbor City Boulevard is the local street name, and it runs parallel to the Indian River on the eastern side of the city. This road allows easy access to the beaches over 3 causeways: the Pineda Causeway (Florida State Road 404), Eau Gallie Causeway, and Melbourne Causeway.
- U.S. Highway 192. Locally named New Haven Avenue or Strawbridge Avenue (historic downtown), US 192 is one of the major commercial, entertainment, and retail areas of Melbourne. Many businesses, large and small, are located on this busy avenue. It serves as a route to Kissimmee and the tourist corridor of Orlando to the west, and the town of Indialantic to the east via the Melbourne Causeway.
- Interstate 95. This 6 lane interstate highway passes through the city limits, 4 exit ramps located in the Melbourne Vicinity. It serves as the main north-south route in the metropolitan area.
- Florida State Road A1A. This road runs along the beaches and provides easy access to other areas of Brevard County.
- County Road 509 (Wickham\Minton). Wickham serves as a second north to south route in the Melbourne area.
- Henegar Center for the Arts, 625 East New Haven Av., 321-723-8698, .
- Honor America's Liberty Bell Museum, 1601 Oak St., 321-727-1776, . M-F 10AM-4PM.
- King Center for Performing Arts, 3865 N. Wickham Road, 321-242-2219, .
- Melbourne Arts Festival, April 26-27 (2008), .
- Melbourne Community Orchestra, 321-952-9949, .
- Florida EcoSafaris at Forever Florida (Zipline Safari) +1 407 957 9794 firstname.lastname@example.org . Journey deep into Forever Florida, a 4700 acre eco-ranch and wildlife conservation area, preserved just as nature intended. This beautiful site boasts 9 distinct Florida ecosystems and an endless array of natural flora and fauna including alligators, black bears, nearly two hundred species of birds and the endangered Florida panther. Choose your own fully-guided adventure: Coach Safari, Horseback Safari or, soar through the treetops on the NEW Zipline Safari. Reservations Required.
- Andretti's Thrill Park. Go Kart's, Mini Golf. .
- Brevard Zoo, .
- Galaxy Skateway, Phone: (321) 259-3366. Roller Skating Rink.
- Brevard Symphony Orchestra (BSO), 1500 Highland Ave (offices are in the historic Winchester Symphony House in the Eau Gallie Arts District), ☎ 321-242-2024, . Founded in 1954, the orchestra-in-residence at the King Center for the performing arts. Brevard's only professional orchestra. edit
- Melbourne Square Mall, 1700 W New Haven Ave, (321) 956-3393.
- Longboard House, 101 Fifth Ave, Indialantic, (321) 951-8001.
- Squid Lips "Where the locals eat & drink." $5-$15 per person. Located on the Indian River. 1477 Pineapple Avenue Melbourne, FL 32935
- Siam Orchid Best Sushi in town!
- Cedar's Cafe, . Authentic Lebanese food wonderful! Best Tabouli in town!
- Wat Punyawanaram, at Thai Temple located at 4490 Aurora Road. 10am-2pm on Sundays. authentic Thai food. oodle soup, chicken satay, Thai egg rolls, and more. And while you're there, you can visit the temple and thrift shop. edit
Historic Downtown Dining
- Continental Flambe', 936 E New Haven Ave, Phone: (321) 768-2445, .
- Island Pasta Company, 820 E New Haven Ave, Phone: (321) 723-1584, .
- Meg O'Malley's Irish Pub & Restaurant, 810 E New Haven Av., Phone: (321) 952-5510, .
- Longdoggers Great local food for $5-$10 per person
- Club 702, 702 E New Haven Ave, Phone: (321) 953-6050, .
- Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place,  is located within minutes of the Melbourne International Airport.
- Suburban Extended Stay, 1125 Airport Blvd., ☎ (321) 768-9777, . checkin: 3pm; checkout: 12pm. This hotel offers free wireless high-speed Internet access in all rooms and an on-site fitness room. edit
- Courtyard Melbourne West, 2101 W New Haven Avenue, ☎ 321-724-6400, . convenient to Melbourne International Airport & major corporations such as Harris Corporation Headquarters and GE. (28.078859,-80.657855) edit
- Residence Inn Melbourne, 1430 South Babcock Street, ☎ 1-321-723-5740, . Located 1.5 miles from Melbourne Airport and between I-95 and Melbourne Beaches and a short distance from Historic Downtown and the Kennedy Space Center. edit
Bed & Breakfast
- Crane Creek Inn Waterfront Bed & Breakfast,  located in Historic Downtown Melbourne.