So, I added an entry for the Wikitravel:Project to the navigation menu, since it would be nice to have it become a locus of project help, policy, and guidelines navigation. Wikimedia projects use the "portal" for that, but we've been using the portal slot for the "today's log" link, and I figured it would mess things up for other language versions to change that precipitously. I'm not crazy about the name ("Project Home") and we may want to change the title ("Main Page") to something more clearly about the travel guide ("Guide Home"?). But I just wanted to put those two slots on the shelf to start out. --Evan 17:37, 1 May 2006 (EDT)
I'd like to put a link to the Wikitravel RSS Feed in the sidebar... maybe even in a separate box below "navigation". Any objections? --Evan 20:55, 10 December 2006 (EST)
- This is very cool. No objections here. Maj 21:11, 10 December 2006 (EST)
- OK, I've added it. Any comments, please post them here. --Evan 15:13, 14 December 2006 (EST)
Why isn't this working?
Why has "Donations", "Current Events" and "Community portal" appeared, while "Travellers' pub", "
Wikitravel Shared" and the "Feeds" option has disappeared? -- Sapphire • (Talk) • 15:32, 20 March 2007 (EDT)
- See Wikitravel:20 March 2007. --Evan 16:00, 20 March 2007 (EDT)
Any objections to adding a link to below Shared? Maj 11:06, 20 June 2007 (EDT)
- Nope, I've added to the nav bar on de: a couple of months back and Riggwelter put it on Shared, although I had to fix a small problem with the way he did it. -- Sapphire • (Talk) • 11:21, 20 June 2007 (EDT)
- I'd like to add on ja: if Extra is multilingual. Is it english only ? -- Tatata 12:12, 20 June 2007 (EDT)
- The UI is currently only in English, but we'll be adding multilingual support later this summer. Content, however, is supported in all the Wikitravel languages. So far we have some content in German, but I'd love to have someone help me try out content in other languages. Let me know if you're interested (or just start adding content on the site and see how it goes!). Thanks. Maj 17:30, 20 June 2007 (EDT)
- Actually, you could help right away by giving me the proper string for "Japanese" in Japanese so I can add it to the language tags. Thanks. Maj 17:34, 20 June 2007 (EDT)
- Thank you Maj. Content can be made in all the Wikitravel languages, wonderful ! The Japanese language in Japanese is "日本語" (Nihon-go). And a short while ago, I found that Japanese is one of the options in Languages section of the registration page. Is this for the planed UI multilingual support ? I don't have anything to write there now, but I am interested in the tag function because Wikitravel have not come off yet. So I will try out content in Japanese. -- Tatata 21:33, 20 June 2007 (EDT)
- I need some help with this. I want to add a link to Extra on es: and pt:, and ca: and ro: both need a Shared link and one for extra, but I apparently don't know what I'm doing. I know there are tags to edit somewhere first but I don't know where they are. Can someone give me a little walk-thru so I'll know how to handle this in the future? Thanks. Texugo 22:10, 20 June 2007 (EDT)
- I don't know much about MediaWiki, but I think you can add links to the nav bar if you have sysop status.
- Link for Shared
- 1. Make MediaWiki:Sharedpage and put Wikitravel Shared or appropriate string into it.
- 2. Make MediaWiki:Shared-url and put internal link for Shared Shared:Main_Page into it.
- 3. Add ** shared-url|sharedpage to MediaWiki:Sidebar.
- Link for Extra
- 1. Make MediaWiki:Extrapage and put Wikitravel Extra or appropriate string into it.
- 2. Make MediaWiki:Extra-url and put url for Extra ' into it.
- 3. Add ** extra-url|extrapage to MediaWiki:Sidebar.
- -- Tatata 03:21, 21 June 2007 (EDT)
- I tried to log in Extra with OpenID, but I couldn't...
- Messages were Unable authenticate. OpenID Discovery failed. with ja:user:tatata, and OpenID login failed. with http://wikitravel.org/ja/User:Tatata or http://wikitravel.org/ja/%E5%88%A9%E7%94%A8%E8%80%85:Tatata . In the end, I got a message Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /var/www/crossroads/modules/openid/openid.module on line 360. -- Tatata 05:26, 22 June 2007 (EDT)
Sidebar link to Wikibooks for Phrasebook articles
How about a [[WikiPedia:]]-style mechanism for putting links to Wikibooks in the sidebar for Wikitravel Phrasebook articles? ~ 18.104.22.168 15:08, 21 December 2007 (EST)
- This is a good idea. How do we do this? --Peter Talk 16:26, 18 January 2008 (EST)
- Don't know, but hopefully someone else does and will chip in... ~ 22.214.171.124 00:02, 25 January 2008 (EST)
I think it would be great to have the pub in the navigation box... any objections? We haven't even touched the logbook in 6 months, any objections if I swap it out for the pub? – cacahuate talk 20:46, 21 June 2008 (EDT)