Mbarara is a city in Western Uganda. It serves as a transportation hub, and is a convenient place to spend your night before heading to Lake Mburo National Park.
Buses roll up the main street of the town called High St. and drop people off. There's a bus park. Mbarara is the major transit hub for Buses running to/from Kampala and further to Western Uganda districts such as Kabale, Kisoro, Ntungamo, Rukungiri, Kanungu, Bushenyi, Kasese among others, as well as buses to neighbouring countries such as Rwanda, D.R.Congo and Burundi, also find it irresistable to pass through Mbarara.
The most effective and safer bus companies that serve Mbarara and Kampala route include; Swift Safaris, Global Buses, Perfect Coaches among others.
The town has matatu (minibus taxis) that ply Mbarara to neighbouring areas and towns.
Taxis and motorcycle boda-boda's are available.
- Swimming. The only available swimming pool in the Mbarara area is at the Lakeview Resort 3 km outside town, off Mbarara-Bushenyi Road. edit
- Lake Mburo National Park, (40 km to the East). Mbarara is the nearest large town to Lake Mburo National Park, one of the best parks to see zebras in Uganda, and home to impala, hippos, and African Fishing Eagles. You can negotiate with one of the taxi drivers at the bus park for a trip to Lake Mburo NP, including traveling to and from the park, driving through the park, and waiting while you take the boat tour of Lake Mburo. The total trip by taxi should cost between 200,000 and 250,000 Ugandan shillings. One reliable driver is Hamuso (mobile 0758328276/0782635601) Entrance fee of $40 USD for adults, $20 for children twelve and under. edit </do>
- Agip Motel, . Probably the best inter-continental food in Mbarara, nice patio area. Also serves a popular African lunch buffet. edit
- Embassy Hotel Mbarara, Mbarara – Bushenyi Road, (Located 5 km (10 minutes drive) from Mbarara Town Centre, on Plot 352 Mubangizi Road about 200 meters off Mbarara – Bushenyi Road immediately from Ruharo Trading Centre.), ☎ +256 701356038, . 6:00 am - 11: 00 pm. Restaurant serves great traditional Ankole dishes, such as smoked Ankole cow meat and boiled meats. cheap beer. Has a bar with a flat screen tv with DStv, and expats and locals are welcome. Mid. (-0.6059687,30.630685900000003) edit
- Little Woods Inn Bar & Restaurant, Plot 1 Muti Road, Boma (Conveniently located in the central area of Mbarara municipality), ☎ +256 (0)752 459618, . Guests may choose to dine in the open patio restaurant or sit and enjoy your meal in any of the lovely tropical gardens (weather permitting). In either way you will be served with the best food in town by restaurant very experienced chefs and cooks. The restaurant serve mostly home made, Continental style meals, Mediterranean and local cuisine. Also available is number of vegan options. The chef has experience in cooking and preparing different styles of meals and has worked in top hotels around the world. You may place your special order with him for one or any number of people and the restaurant guarantee that you won't be disappointed. Has a bar with a DStv, and locals and expats are welcome. Mid. (-0.6088338,30.657056300000022) edit
- Heat, Bremba Rd. This is a unique place. At day the grounds serve as a car wash, and on Friday and Saturday nights it turns into an open-air nightclub. They also serve very decent plates of BBQ pork. The DJ either plays 90's hit music (i.e. Madonna and Euro techno) mixed up with contemporary indigenous music. edit
Embassy Hotel Mbarara, Plot 352 Mubangizi Road, Ruharo (5 Kilometers from Mbarara Town Centre, Mubangizi Road about 200 meters off Mbarara – Bushenyi Road immediately from Ruharo Trading Centre.), ☎ +256 772 592569 (firstname.lastname@example.org). checkin: 11:00am; checkout: 10:00am. Featuring free WiFi, on-site bar and a restaurant with a wide variety of cuisine, Embassy Hotel Mbarara offers comfortable and friendly accommodation in Mbarara. The hotel is specifically designed and equipped to meet the needs of the leisure and business guests. Embassy Hotel has 16 rooms wonderfully designed en-suite rooms to suite your test; 7 double rooms, 4 twin rooms and 5 single rooms. Standard Single US$25, Embassy Double US$45, Embassy Twin US$65 All the Rates are based on Bed and Breakfast.. edit
- Agip Motel Mbarara (Agip Hotel Mbarara), Mbarara (Strategically located near the gates of Mbarara town in South Western Uganda, Agip Motel is a quiet and charming hotel, a 3-4 hour drive from Kampala on the Mbarara-Masaka highway.), ☎ +256 (0)772 583664 (email@example.com, fax: +256 (0)485 420575), . checkin: 12:00 pm; checkout: 11:00 am. Agip Motel Mbarara can offers and can arrange airport transport to/from Entebbe International Airport and the has excellent food, good service, clean rooms, free wi-fi (wireless internet) access and a friendly atmosphere. Single Occupancy from US$50, Double Occupancy US$75, Executive Suite Double US$100, Extra Bed US$35. edit
- Little Woods Inn Mbarara (Little Woods Inn Mbarara), Mbarara (The hotel is conveniently located in the central area of Mbarara municipality, near a variety of conveniences for traveler and businessman alike, within walking distance of most major attractions, festivals and events.), ☎ +256 (0)752 459618 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 11:30 am; checkout: 10:30 am. The hotel rooms are individually decorated in a mixture of African and European decor and have been designed to reflect the original cottage style of the Inn built in the 1970's. Rooms are available with either large single beds, twin beds or queen size double beds. In order to make the rooms comfortable, each of them is equipped with: mosquito nets and repellants, a reading table, an occasional chair, universal power points, large en-suite bathrooms, free toiletries and an access to a large green court yard. Wi-Fi is available throught the public area, but the signal may vary from room to rooom. From $30 for a Single Room. edit
If you have a cell phone get one of the cheap prepaid sim cards from either Africell, Vodafone, MTN, Airtel, K2 Telecom, or UTL and save money on local calls.
Overseas calls at extra rates compared to local rates. Ask your telecom provider for call deals to some European, American and Asian countries.
Calling from outside Uganda: +256 -Followed Network Provider- and 6 digit telephone number. EG. Calling Uganda Holidays & Tours Office, +256 751 070 550
From within Uganda: 0751 070 550
Internet is available throughout Mbarara Town and the city cafes always a hub of activity. Charges per hour ranges from UGX 2,000 (in town)
Many Guesthouses, Hotels in Mbarara Town provide WiFi free for their guests.
Always-On MTN Uganda, Airtel, Africell and UTL, provides prepaid wifi access in a number of locations in Mbarara. Simply buy an internet modem/dongle and connect to get access and you will be given the opportunity to buy internet bundles by paying for a scratch card from UGX 1,000. Pricing starts at around UGX 1,800 for for 100MB.
Coverage areas include:
- Agip Motel at Mbarara - Masaka Road, Mbarara-Masaka highway (located near the gates of Mbarara town), ☎ +256 790 916739, . 6:00 am - 12:00 am. Free Wifi to Guests. (-0.60038,30.664269999999988) edit
- Embassy Hotel Restaurant & Bar, ☎ +256 777 065018, . (-0.6059687,30.630685900000003) edit
- <listing name="Little Woods Inn Restaurant & Bar"