Mazeri is a mountain village in Upper Svaneti, Georgia.
Mazeri is the most famous village in Becho Community, Upper Svaneti.
It is situated about 20 km from Mestia in an amazing valley of Dolra river, 1600 metres above sea, and surrounded by wide green meadows and snow-capped mountain peaks. Mazeri now is the base for several most beautiful Svaneti trekking routes.
Once upon a time this land was a possession of the princes Dadeshkeliani, there was a 10-storey tower that the owners blew up in 1921. The ruins can still be found near the village.
Tourism in Svaneti probably began to develop from this village. Here, thru Becho pass, many tourists and climbers arrived, as this pass is the most convenient for the transition from Russia to Svaneti. Besides, a lot of climbers who come to conquer Ushba stayed in Becho.
Currently there is no public transport going directly to Mazeri.
The closest public transport path is Zugdidi - Mestia main road. If you go by marshrutka from Zugdidi you should get off about 16 km before Mestia, near turn to Becho (Mazeri).
From this point to Mazeri is about 7 km.
You can walk this distance in 1-1,5 hours, or somebody from your guesthouse can pick up you here.
Also it is always possible to hitchhike.
Besides the unforgettable landscapes and beautiful valley Shikhra, Becho is famous for its numerous mineral springs. There are several large waterfalls around the village. Also you can see a ruin of the Princes Dadeshkeliani castle, old church and ancient Svaneti Tower.
Svaneti Mazeri trekking routes
Mazeri - Mount Ushba glacier trekking
- Dolra river, waterfalls, views of peaks of Ushba and Mount Mazeri, glacier. Horseback ride is possible for a first part of the route.
- altitude start/end: 1600/2700m; duration: 8-9 hours by foot; length: 8,5km, stay to the left and cross the bridge to reach the trail head. The trail is marked with red/white rectangles.
Mazeri - Baki pass - Etseri trekking
- possible by foot or horseback
- length: 15 km; duration: 6-8 hours; altitude start/end: 1700/1450m; highest point: 2460m
Mazeri - Guli pass - Koruldi lakes - Mestia trekking
- possible by foot or horseback
- length: 16 km; duration: 8 hours; altitude start/end: 1600/1420m; highest point: 2960m
Staying in one of Mazeri village guesthouses is a good opportunity to try traditional Svanetian food, cooked with fresh natural local eco products.
Clean and natural mineral water from a healing mineral water springs.
There are at least a half-dozen guesthouses in Mazeri and scattered along the road into it. All offer accommodation and full board meals for something like 40-60 Lari (2017). There is one hotel, but the price considerably higher than in guesthouses.
- Chabuki Qaldani's Family Guest House, Mazeri village, Becho Community, Svaneti, ☎ +995 551 88 27 88. A family guesthouse/farm with exceptional food and friendly hosts. This is the kind of place you want to visit to really experience what it's like to stay in a traditional Svan home. All of the food is made fresh from ingredients which come from their own farm. Nora cooks for guests and she makes her own cheese using fresh cow's milk from their own cows. She is famous in Mazeri for making the best cheese. She also prepares a truly memorable khachapuri. Chabuki offers horseback rides up to the waterfalls and Ushba glacier (20/30/50 lari for one hour/two hour/full day). The price per night is 50 lari per person with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you call in advance you can arrange to be picked up from the road to Mestia and driven to Mazeri for free. There are three large, private bedrooms which each have a queen sized bed. You can sleep 6 people comfortably here (though more is also possible, if you call in advance). You can also arrange a pickup/return from Mestia for an additional fee. The hosts speak Georgian and Russian, but have had non-Georgian/Russian speaking visitors stay with them many times. They are so kind that a language barrier is truly not a problem! If you have trouble finding the place when in Mazeri, ask anyone to point you in the direction of "Chabuki Qaldani's Sakhli" (This translates to Chabuki Qaldani's Guesthouse). Have a great stay! 50. edit
- Boutique Hotel Mazeri (Mazeri Grand Hotel), Mazeri village, Becho community (Two storey brand new house in white color at the center of Mazeri village anyone can point the Valeri and Romani Jamdeliani House), ☎ +995 551 776 776, +995 555 52 56 75, . checkin: 24/7; checkout: non strict policy. A warm family, with home produced milk, butter, cheese(sulguni), yogurt(matsoni), vegetables all natural and organic. Price is 50GEL per night including breakfast, lunch and dinner, home made wine is included into price. Brand new hotel rooms with private full baths. How to get here: continue the road till the end of the town, turn left, take the road inside the town after the sign "guesthouse". Languages speaking: Georgian, Russian. email@example.com edit
- Grand Hotel Ushba, Tvebishi, Mestias rajoni, Svaneti, Georgia. edit
- Peak Mazeri Guest House (A family mini hotel in Svaneti Mestia region - Peak Mazeri Guest House), Mestia district, Mazeri, Becho community, Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti, Georgia, (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Amazing location just at the foot of Mount Ushba. Nice mountain view rooms and tasty food. Free pickup by our car. A good option for backpack travellers, located in a renovated old Svan house, standing on a great green glade. They have their own horses and mineral water spring near the house. Also it is possible to put up a tent in the guesthouse camping zone. edit
Negotiate with a guesthouse owner for a private car ride to Mestia. We paid 50 Lari for 4 people in one private marshrutka (2017). I think you could probably negotiate cheaper, or hitchhike with other marshrutkas leaving for Mestia with locals in them and pay a LOT less.
It is also be possible to hike to Becho (the main road) and catch a marshrutka going to either Mestia or Zugdidi.
A jeep to Ushguli was quoted at 200 GEL (2013).