Mawlamyine (Moulmein/Moulmien) is the capital of Mon State in Southeastern Myanmar. Mawlamyine is the fourth largest city in Myanmar with a population of 326,000. Even though the population is quite large the city itself looks and feels like only a small town. Mawlamyine is pronounced "more-la-mean".
- Yangon - Buses run twice a day, 7:30am and 9:00pm, the trip takes about 5h30m. 10,000 kyat [Nov 2013].
[June 2014] We took this bus for 7200 kyat, it took 7 hours, leaves from bus station north of center, taxi to there cost 8000 kyat.
(Nov 2015) Mandalar Winn Express has 8-10/day starting from 8.30am until 9 or 10 at night. Bought ticket for 6000 kyat from ticketing agent across street from Yangon Main Railway Station. Took 6hrs including 30min meal break. As above leaves from Aun Mingular Bus Station north of city past airport. Recommended to allow plenty of time as traffic can be horrendous. Most people allow up to 2 hrs prior to departure time. Bus company asks you to be there 30mins prior. Seem to run pretty much to schedule.
Train runs twice daily, in the morning 7:15 from Yangon, and evening (6 pm) but inquire locally for exact schedule. 6/14 USD ordinary/Upper Class. (As for June 2015: We bought ticket on the day of departure and paid 4400 kyat for upper class.) Bumpy but scenic 9hour ride. From Bago is 7 hrs - 4/10 USD. Excellent possibility to combine with a overnight visit to Golden Rock halfway (11:45) and continuing on same train next day.
Train to Yangon in afternoon leaves at 7.45pm and 8.55pm. The lowet class is 2.150 Kyat. Okt.2015
Train from Yangon leave at 6.30pm and 9.00pm, 5.500Ks upper class. Okt.2015
Train to Dawei leave at 6am and you can buy ticket from train station. From Yangon you can't buy, only from Dawei. Okt.2015
- Dawei - Buses run at 5 am, 1 pm, 2pm, 4pm. 8-10 hour ride. 12000Ky
- Ye - Buses run at 6:30 am, 9:15 am, 11:45 am, 3:30pm. 4 to 5 hour drive. Prices may vary by company, but the one running at 9:15 and 11:45 charges foreigners 6000 kyat for a non-AC seat (double the local rate)
Minibus 4000Kyat. Okt.2015
- Hpa-an almost hourly morning departure bus takes 2 hours, 1,000 kyat local bus to 7,500 Kyat AC Van. Tourist boat also leaves daily (book thru your guesthouse).
- Myawaddy to Mae Sot, Thailand. Several departures in the morning, 5-9 hours. You may find a shared taxi (8,000- 10,000k) or hire a car (about 30,000kyat). The new road between Myawaddy and Kawkareik, which officially opened in July 2015, now allows circulation in both directions every day and also dramatically shortens the trip as it takes 45min to pass over the mountain instead of 3h on the old road. The overall trip in a car will take between 5h (car taking the new road and not stopping forever for lunch) and 9h (bus taking the old road). Check the situation before taking the route and plan ahead if you have to leave before your visa expires or if you have a flight to catch on the Thai side.
The town is only small so walking around should be fine.
A motorbike taxi to anywhere in town including the bus station should cost no more than 1000 kyat. Asking 1500 kyat at highway bus station. (Nov 15)
The train station and the highway bus station are behind the hill with the pagodas, no shared transport to town center, Tuktuk drivers asking up to 3000 ky for the 2km ride.
- Nwa Le Bo Pagoda, (12 miles north of town). Pick ups (700 one way) leaving from roundabout near bridge drop you at the foot of the hill, then 2 hours hike up or truck (1000 one way) leaving when full. edit
- Pa Auk Taw Ya Monastery, (9 miles south of town). Take local pickup south. Enormous, tranquil meditation centre with friendly people. Arrive by 10am to walk to the eating hall for an 11am meal with hundreds of monks (and a few foreigners studying meditation). edit
- St Matthews. Built in 1887, this is a nice old church which is unfortunely now abandoned and locked up. edit
- Kyaik Tan Lan Pagoda. Up on the hill, this is one of the best vantage points in town to see the sunset. edit
- Walk Along the Hilltop. Good at any time of the day but much cooler in the morning or late afternoon. Follow the road along the hill top visiting the Pagodas along the way. edit
Please dress modestly (cover shoulders, knees etc) especially in temples and pagodas.
Almost all the places to eat are located along the riverside, although tiny local restaurants are still scattered around the town.
- Yuu Nan Pan Tay Restaurant, Strand Road (a few houses south of Breeze Guesthouse). New Restaurant (2014) with Thai food, good Chicken w basil leaves, clean and friendly, no alcohol. Great avocado shakes with no/low sugar options. edit
- Peking Restaurant, Lower Main Road (across road from Ruby). Chinese food edit
- Chan Thar, (next to Sandalwood Hotel). Extensive menu edit
- Help Grandfather and mother restaurant, Strand Road (one block north of Breeze Guesthouse). Odd name doesn't mean much. (EDIT: It does, apparently the money goes to a charity to help the towns elderly). Mostly Chinese menu with vegetarian choice. Very popular for locals and foreigners because of good riverside location and cheap price on food and drinks. Open for breakfast and till late for dinner. Several reports of food poisoning on trip advisor edit
- Shwe Nanda, Lower Main Road (north of Aurora Guesthouse, towards the market). Very lively local tea shop with freshly baked chinese pastries (including vegan options) & friendly owner, nice for breakfast before heading to the market edit
- OK hotel, Strand and Thaton Tadar St (one block from the market), . Food are bit pricier than other places but drinks are decent price. One of the rare spots for the Free WiFi. edit
- Mya Nan Thida, Lower Main Street (5 doors north of Aurora Guest House). Home made milkshakes, ice cream, kulfi & falooda (1000), perfect for a break during the hottest hours edit
- Strand View Restaurant, Mawlamyine Strand (North End of Strand Road). Outdoor garden area. Bottles of hard liquor starting at 25000 and cocktails 3000 to 4000. Get messy at the classiest place in Myalamyine. edit
- Breeze Guesthouse (Lay Hnyin Tha), 6. Strand Road, ☎ 057-21450, 09 870 1180. well-known guest house with friendly staff. Mr. Anthony is an old man and full of stories and useful advice. Likes to talk in a quiet minute. Rooms are very basic, thin, hard and extremely cramped mattress. There is a gorgeous bedroom for $40 per night replete with colonial era cast iron bed and furniture. Note that the rooms for 16$ are musty, barely big enough to fit the bed, and they also have bed bugs, so check your bed! from $8 single, $16 double. edit
- Sandalwood Hotel, 278. Myopia Rridge Street, ☎ 098702511. checkout: 12am. New hotel, fully tiled and rooms very clean and spotless, same applies for kitchen where they prepare breakfast, very friendly and helpful staff with good english, price includes breakfast, tv in room,fast wifi at the lobby,standard rooms with fan and private bathroom, superior with aircon, probably the best value for money in the city: they provide you with towels, toothpaste+ brush, soap, shampoo, water; they have drying reck for your clothes and umbrellas can be borrowed. Only two standard rooms. Fan room (standard): 1 person $15, 2 people $20(22500 kyat) [June 2015= low season] Air Con room with mini fridge (superior): 1 person $30, 2 people $35, 3 people $?? and 4 people $??. edit
- Cinderella Hotel, 21 Baho road, ☎ 05724411. hotel, beautifully decorated and clean, price includes large breakfast, tv in room, wifi, aircon. There is a restaurant that serves delicious mails. The staff is very accommodating and helpful. $30 single, $35 - 45 double. edit
- Aurora, 277 Lower Main Road, ☎ 057-22785. One street back from Breeze, around the corner from Sandalwood. Rooms are not more expensive than at Breeze and are a lot nicer. WiFi. No breakfast. Owner seems grumpy at first, but actually very sweet & helpful if you take the time to talk to him. Fan room with shared bathroom single/double 7/14 USD, AC room with en suite bathroom 15/25 USD. If you're on your own but only double rooms are available you will most likely be charged as if you stayed in a single room. edit
- Pann Su Wai, 333/A lower main road, ☎ (09)252524837 or (09)252524838. New guesthouse,good value! Located downtown, Main Lower road, 5 min walking from Aurora GH. Location: 16.4811944, 97.6194886 room : (AC,single bed; bathroom inside, fridge, TV): 10$ / (air-con, double bed, shower inside): 20$ WiFi, breakfast included. Laundry service available . edit
- OK Hotel, Strand Road. Has the restaurant but also rooms available. Friendly staff. Free wifi. Rooms small and utilitarian but new, clean, bed is ok. Breeze is probably better for hangout with other backpackers, but its facilities show age. $12 single (mid 2015, could negotiate $10 if staying longer than one night). edit
- Hpa-an 2 hours away by bus, 5 hours by boat (sign up the day before at Breeze GH for the daily boat leaving at 8:15AM, 10000 per person).
- Dawei / Maungmagan beach 8-10 hours by bus departs at Noon and 1am, cost 10,000kyat. 6am and 6:30pm, 13 hours, 13000 2016.02.
- Bago roughly 4 to 5 hours away. Most bus companies ask 10,000 but you should be able to find at least one for 5000.
- Mae Sot, Thaï Border, 4 to 9 hours (depending on car vs. bus and on whether your car takes the new road), many departures in early morning. You can arrange a shared taxi for about 8000-10000 per person. As of March 2015 the road seems to be going in both directions every day (see get in section).
- Golden Rock: buses leave from 7.30 am (hourly?), take ~4 hours and cost 7000 all the way to Kinpun bus station. Trains leave from 8am, cost a little bit less than the bus, but take you only to Kyaikto.