Mathura is a city in Uttar Pradesh, India.
Mathura is an important railway junction. Most trains between Delhi and Agra stop in Mathura. The journey from Delhi takes 2-3 hours depending on the train type, while from Agra the trip takes about one hour. Most of the south bound and west bound trains stop at Mathura. August Kranti Rajdhani Express 12950/12951 (for Mumbai) for Delhi stops at Mathura. Other than that almost all major trains from Delhi and Agra stop at Mathura. It is well connected to national capital Delhi, state capital Lucknow and all major cities by rail.
From Sultanpur/Varanasi/Lucknow you may take train 13237/13239 Patna-Mathura.
Mathura is now connected with New Delhi via Noida-Agra world class express ways(6 lane). This will be a lovely exprience travling by Noida-Agra express ways. Awesome drive....Best express ways in India. Distance of Noida-Mathura is 135 KM only....
- Mathura is situated between Delhi and Agra on National Highway 2, about 150 km south of Delhi and 50 km north of Agra. NH-2 is one of the best highways of country. Upcoming Taj expressway is in east of the city. Mathura is well connected to national capital Delhi, state capital Lucknow and all major cities by road. Many state transport departments busses are running through Mathura. There are also ISBT (Inter State Bus Terminal) services from Delhi Sarai Kale Khan with frequency of 25 minutes.
Nearest airport is Agra (Kheria Airport). It is 50 km from Mathura. Perhaps most of the international and domestic flights are landing into IGI Airport, Delhi. IGI Airport is 150 km from Mathura. Upcoming new international airport will also be accessible via Taj expressway, 1½ hours from Mathura.
- Akhand Jyoti Sansthan,, Giya Mandi. edit
- Basantar Park. In memory of the victory of Basantar (1971 war). edit
- Dwarkadheesh Temple. Built in 1814, it is the main temple in the town. During the festive days of Holi, Janmashthami and Diwali, it is decorated on a grandiose scale. edit
- Gayatri TapoBhumi (First Gayatri Temple), Vrindavan Road. edit
- Gita Mandir, (On the city outskirts). The temple carving and painting are a major attraction. edit
- Govardhan Giriraj Hill (Goverdhan Parvat). edit
- Government Museum, (At Dampier Park). Biggest and richest in Asia for Mathura and Gandhar sculpture. It has one of the finest collection of archaeological interest. Rare items from the Gupta and Kushan period (400BC-1200AD) are on display. Major attraction for tourists. edit
- Jaigurudeo Temple (also named Naam Yog Sadhna Mandir), . Constructed by gerat saints Baba Jaigurudeo,. It resembles the Tajmahal, built with white marble. It is a unique temple in that you are prohibited from donating if you are a non-vegeterian. edit
- Jama Masjid. Built by Abo-inNabir-Khan in 1661.A.D. the mosque has 4 lofty minarets, with bright colored plaster mosaic of which a few panels currently exist. edit
- Krishna Janma Bhoomi. There are two main places to visit in this complex. First is a prison cell where Vasudev and Devaki, parents of Sri Krishna were held captive. This place is on the left hand side of the main complex. This is the cell were Bhagwan Sri Krishna was born hence the most sacred place in world for all the followers of Bhagwan Sri Krishna. One cannot miss the spiritual and mystical power in the cell. After darsan here visit a magnificent temple. The idol of Sri Krishna and Radha are so beautiful and has a soothing effect on the devotees. I am sure a any nonbeliever will also feel the magic. There are many other idols of gods here. Walls and ceiling are painted with some of the most events in the life of Sri Krishna. One can climb up the stairs if authority allows to get a great view of idols. edit
- Bankey Bihari Temple (Bihari Ji Temple), Vrindavan. This is the most famous temple in Mathura and many people including VIPs from across India visit the temple every year. edit
- Mathura Jain Chorasi, (On NH-2). Worship place of Jains. Here is the largest statue of Lord Jambu Swami & is is made up of single piece of greynite stone. This statue is about 21 feet in hight in sitting position of lord Jambu Swami. edit
- Mathura Refinery. Watch the lightning in the evening, if you are coming from Agra in the evening you can enjoy this beautiful scene. edit
- Old Fort (Kans Quila), Near Swami Ghat. Its the main Quila in mathura to protect the city from Yamuna River if this Quila was not built then it would have destroyed the City and it would will fill up with the waters of yamuna river during the Flood time. edit
- Rifle Club of Mathura. One of its own kind club. expect rifle shooting now days. edit
- Shri Dwarika Dheesh Temple. edit
- Shri Ganesh Temple (Siddhi vinayak), At Ganesh Tila (jaisingh pura,vindavan road), ☎ 2521342. edit
- Shri Krishna Janm Bhoomi Temple. Birth Place of Lord Kirshna. Enjoy enjoy Satsung or Bhagvat-Katha here. edit
- Vishram Ghat. The sacred spot where Lord Krishna is believed to have rested after slaying the tyrant Kansa. Enjoy evening Yamuna ji ki Aarti here. Also see the river and huge turtles. edit
Do not take services of unauthorized guides. Most of them are touts. They lure you by offering guided tour for Rs.100. After that, they take you to a temple of their choice where the priest demands donation of thousands of rupees. The unauthorized guides (touts) and priests form a syndicate to fleece unsuspecting pilgrims. A guided tour is inessential. You can use the internet to shortlist the temples which you like to visit. In case you have troubles finding the way, then ask the policemen for help - there're plenty of cops in the city who help you with the directions.
- Boating. Boating in Holy river Yamuna and visit to Durvasa Rishi Temple which situated on the other side of the river and go to Hansiya Rani ghat which was built in the time of Rani Hansiya. There she got bath. It was built of Red Stone and the location of the Ghat is so beautiful. edit
- Ramleela. Sep-Oct. A play act based on the story of the great Lord Ram. In this act the main play is Ram Barat. In Ram Barat you can take the fun Sword Fighting and other fighting styles in the Akhada's. edit
- Government Museum, Dampier Nagar (Ask and ask...). 10.30-4.30. Superb collection of Kushana art, with some fine Gupta sculptures, and Gandaran objects. Sleepy place, but wonderful. edit
- Books on every aspect of Life., Gayatri Tapobhmi, Mathura (Vrindavan Road, Mathura), ☎ +91 – 0565 – 2530128, 2530399, . Creative writings of Pandit Shriram Sharma Acharya, 3200 Books on every aspect of LIFE. Gayatri Pariwar is Not For Profit Organisation. Books available in Hindi, English and many regional language of India. edit
- Brass/ Copper Pooja Articles
- Pooja Articles
- Milk Products
- Souvenir Articles from Govt. Museum
- Leather shoes from factory Outlets on NH-2 (towards Agra)
Sweets made of milk and milk products are the specialty of Mathura. Mathura is famous for "PEDE" (sweet made of milk and sugar).The best shop for trying sweets is "Brijwasi Mithai wala" which are located at 4-5 places in Mathura like Opposite Janmbhumi, in Holigate,in Chowk Bazaar and at the New Roadways bus stand. Other good sweet shops are Gosai Pede Wala, Radhika Sweets, Shankar Mithai Wala, Bharatpuria etc.
Another famous food item in Mathura that is the most common breakfast in the city is "Kachori and Jalebi". Kachori is a snack served with "Alloo Ki Subji"(Spicy Potato Curry) and Jalebi is a sweet. One can find a near rush in front of Kachori Shops in the morning in Mathura. If you are in Mathura then you must try Kachori and Jalebi for your break fast. Although there are many Kachori and Jalebi Shops, but most famous among them is OMA Pahalwan KachoriWala, that is situated at Holigate in front of Brijwasi Mithai Wala. Another famous item worth trying in Mathura is "Chat", specially "Gol - Gappey" (Pani-Puri).There are many chat walas, it depends upon your taste. You can taste these chat on the vendor who are situated from Holi Gate to Chowk bazaar.
For street food, fast food or restaurants, try one of the following
- Agrawal Dhaba, NH-2. Probably this is the best place to have food in Mathura edit
- Bhagvan Das ka Bhalla, Ghiya Mandi chok bajar (Opp Jain Street). After 5PM. Street food. 15 rs. edit
- Brijwasi Chat Wala, (Near Khadi Ashram, Tilak Dwar). After 5PM. edit
- Café Coffee Day, (Nh-2 Hiway Plaza). edit
- Canteen of Sri Krishna Janma Bhoomi Temple. For budgeted and hygienic food one can go to Sri Krishna Janma Bhoomi temple just a block away from the temple complex there a canteen run by the temple trust. Here one can try Thaali's with limited and unlimited version. Taste is good and one thing for sure its more clean than any other eateries.. edit
- Oma Pahlwan Kachori wala, (Near Holi Gate, Opp Brijwasi Mithai wala). 8AM-2 PM. Street food. edit
- Radha Ashok Restaurant, (NH-2 and at Highway Plaza at NH-2). edit
- Suresh ke Mangode, Ghiya Mandi (Opp Bhargava Street). After 5PM. Street food. edit
- Lassi served in a clay glass
- Sweetened hot milk served in a clay glass
- Jaljeera - a digestive drink.
- Milk Badam (almonds and other dryfruits minced in chilled milk)
- kailash, (opp rifles club). sutte waala edit
- Brijwasi Mithai Wala, Holi Gate (Mathura). Has an Awesome range of sweets, namkeens, pastries,petha puddings, etc. at economical rates. The shop is opened till late in the evening. Also try the famous sweet of mathura "PEDA" here, you would never dislike it. edit
- Country Inn, Kosi, NH-2, ☎ +91 566 2232445. edit
- Hotel Brijwasi Royal. edit
- Hotel Dwaper Resorts, NH-2. edit
- Hotel Goverdhan Palace (Mathura), Opp.Narholi Thana Agra-DelhI Highway,Mathura, UttarPradesh, ☎ +91 9810515872, . checkin: 1200; checkout: 1300. Hotel Goverdhan Palace Mathura is a Three-Star business hotel. Set in landscaped grounds. Can host weddings for up to 2500. 25 rooms which overlook the garden. 2000. edit
- International Guest House, Krishna Janm Bhoomi, ☎ +91 565 2405888. edit
- Hotel Mansarovar Palace, ☎ +91 565 2408686. edit
- Hotel Mukund Palace. edit
- Hotel Rahi, (ITDC), ☎ +91 565 2407822. edit
- Shri Radha Brij Vasundhara Resort, Aanyor, Parikrama Marg, ☎ +91-565-32 98427, . The place has a scenic, peaceful atmosphere. Cluster of detached cottages having Bed room, Lounge & a small kitchenette. Eighty Seven percent of the resort area is Gardens against 13% percent of built up area. edit
- Kelva Dev Sanctuary, Bharatpur (35 km west)
- Keetham Bird Sanctuary, Keetham, NH-2 (35 km south)
- Back Water of Gokul Barrage (2 km south)
- Rural Mathura on bank of river Yamuna
- Vrindavan (10 km northeast)
- Goverdhan (20 km west)
- Gokul (10 km east)
- Baldeo (22 km southeast)
- Govardhan for parikrama (circle or pradakshina). While some walk, some do sashtang namaskar every step, some walk every foot by foot, while old people who cannot walk take vehicle or rickshaw. Remember to chant Sri Krishna all the time while you are circling, or when you are in brajbhumi in general.