Matemwe is a traditional village on the East Coast of Zanzibar. At the long beach, there are several small hotels and lodges. The famous Mnemba Island is very close.
- From Stone Town by taxi.
- From Stone Town by dala dala bus for 1.800 TZS.
- From Nungwi by taxi for 20.000 TZS after haggling (September 2016).
- a very traditional village right behind the beach lines
- local children playing between palms
- sun rises at the beach
- walk at the long beach
- go on a snorkling trip to Mnemba Island
- go diving with one of several scuba diving operators/schools at Mnemba Island, e.g. One Ocean, Scuba Libre
- sunset trip by boat to Nungwi.
There are several small restaurants at the beach, only one having a menu in TZS, most having (higher) prices in USD.
Many lodges offer breakfast, lunch and dinner.
When you arrive at the roundabout, several sign advertise accommodation and diving.
- Mohamed Bungalows Matemwe Zanzibar, Matemwe Beach (North Eastern coast line), ☎ 0777431881 (email@example.com), . checkin: Any time; checkout: 10h00am. Mohamed Restaurant & Bungalows provides basic, clean and comfortable accommodation, with friendly staff who have a wealth of local knowledge. There are 4 rooms, with ensuite bathrooms, mosquito nets and fans. Laundry service is also available. 45 USD for double room including breakfast. edit
- Matemwe Tunda Lodge, Matemwe Beach (North Eastern coast line, close to the beach), ☎ 0777421400. checkin: Any time; checkout: 10h00am. Nice rooms, nice site, friendly staff, great breakfast. There are 4 rooms, with ensuite bathrooms, mosquito nets, fans and A/C. Lunch and dinner also available. 60 USD for double room including breakfast, can be haggled down to 40 USD easily.. edit
- Uzioni Beach Bungalows, Matemwe Beach, ☎ 0747-417701. edit
- To Kiwengwa. Same beach, further south.
- To Stone Town by taxi for 28.000 TZS after haggling (September 2016).
- To Stone Town by dala dala bus for 1.800 TZS per person.
- To Nungwi by taxi for 20.000 TZS after haggling.
- Right before Stone Town, you can get out of the taxi or dala dala at Bububu for a more local beach.