Martinsburg  is a city of 14,972 people (as of 2000) in West Virginia. Founded in 1778, it was named in honor of Colonel Thomas Bryan Martin, a nephew of Lord Fairfax from Kent, who had moved to the general area around 1735.
Martinsburg is on I-81 between Hagerstown, Maryland to the north and Winchester, Virginia to the south.
- Amtrak, 229 E Martin Street, . Open 5AM to 9PM Monday through Friday; closed Saturday and Sunday. Martinsburg is on the Capitol Limited line, which runs daily between Washington, D.C. and Chicago.
- Maryland Rail Commuter, 226 E Martin Street, 304-263-3376, . Open 5AM to 9AM and 6PM to 8:30PM Monday through Friday. Martinsburg is on the Brunswick line, which ferries passengers to Washington, D.C..
- Eastern Panhandle Transit Authority, aka PanTran, 446 Novak Drive, 304-263-0876, . Buses run from 6AM to 9PM on weekdays, and 8AM to 5:30PM on weekends (precise times vary by route). Serving north and south Martinsburg, Berkeley and Jefferson counties, Bolivar and Harpers Ferry. Fares $1 - $3.
- Historic downtown Martinsburg, 232 N Queen Street, 304-262-4200, . Downtown Martinsburg, with its many shops and restaurants, has been undergoing revitalization since 1988.
- Martinsburg Roundhouse Center, 100 E Liberty Street, 304-260-4141, . Open daily from 9AM to 4PM; call for an appointment to visit. Historic Baltimore and Ohio Railroad roundhouse that was rebuilt in 1872 after being destroyed in the Civil War. Admission $5.
- The Apollo Civic Theatre, 128 E Martin Street, 304-263-6766, . A historic theatre from 1913, now home to theatre performances, pageants, talent shows, festival events and other entertainment. Single ticket prices are $7 - $14; season tickets are $35 - $200.
- The Arts Centre, 229 E Martin Street suite 300, 304-263-0224, . Located in the historic Old Federal Building with its original glass-walled elevator. Art classes and exhibitions.
- Downtown Martinsburg Chili Cook-off, downtown Martinsburg, 304-262-4200. Held in mid-July. Professional and amateur chili chefs compete to create the best chili in town; spectators can purchase ballot cards to taste and vote on the chilis. Admission $5.
- Mountain State Apple Harvest Festival, Berkeley County Youth Fairgrounds, 304-263-2500, . Held in mid-October. Apple pie and dessert baking contest and auction, grand feature parade, royal gala reception and banquet, arts and crafts show and sale, car shows, pageant, pancake breakfasts, dancing, live entertainment, fireworks.
- Crim de la Crim, 137 N Queen Street, 304-260-9394 or 800-977-9394, . Open 10AM to 5PM Tuesday through Saturday. Fine collectibles and antiques, including furniture, militaria, dolls, glassware, jewelry, guns and more. Also contains the Heritage Craft Center of the Eastern Panhandle.
- Martinsburg Mall, 800 Foxcroft Avenue, 304-264-0016, . Open 10AM to 9PM Monday through Saturday, and 12PM to 6PM on Sunday. Over 50 shops and restaurants.
- The local newspaper is the Journal News, 207 W King Street, 304-263-8931 or 800-448-1895, .
- Asian Garden, 748 Foxcroft Avenue, 304-263-8678. Chinese and Japanese cuisine, with traditional Japanese seating available. Try the "Flaming Volcano for Two" drink.
- Historic Market House Grill, 100 N Queen Street, 304-263-7615. Local favorite serving Cajun, American and Italian cuisine with 1920s ambience. Live guitar music on Wednesdays. Try the homemade coconut praline pie. $12 - $20.
- Red Wolf Grill, 131 S Queen Street, 304-263-7400, . Open 5 to 10PM Tuesday through Saturday. Salads, appetizers, meat, poultry, seafood, pasta and martinis. $12 - $28.
- Rock Hill Creamery, 313 S Queen Street, 304-264-2373 or 877-713-2187, . Premium homemade ice cream. Their "Mountain State Delight" flavor was created to celebrate West Virginia Day.
- The Mariner, 1911 Winchester Ave., ☎ 1-304-264-4414, . Local LGBTA club. Monthly drag shows edit
- Krista Lite Motel, Inc., 14596 Apple Harvest Drive, 304-263-0906.
- Super 8 Motel, 2048 Edwin Miller Boulevard, 304-263-0801 or 800-800-8000. 43 rooms. $43 - 65.
- Comfort Inn, 1872 Edwin Miller Boulevard, 304-263-6200. 110 rooms. Exercise gym, outdoor pool, game room, gift shop. Complimentary continental breakfast. $69 - $125.
- Days Inn, 209 Viking Way, 304-263-1800. 62 rooms. Fitness Center, Complimentary Hot Continental breakfast. $59 - $89.
- Econo Lodge, 5595 Hammonds Mill Road, 304-274-2181. $52 - $68. 48 rooms.
- Hampton Inn, 975 Foxcroft Avenue, 304-267-2900. $109.
- Holiday Inn, 301 Foxcroft Avenue, 304-267-5500 or 800-862-6282, . 120 rooms. Fitness facility, outdoor swimming pool, on-site restaurant called Heatherfields Restaurant. $79 - $110.
- Knights Inn, 1997 Edwin Miller Boulevard, 304-267-2211. $54 - $75. 59 rooms.
- Quality Inn, 94 McMillan Court, 304-263-8811 or 800-321-7529, . 114 rooms. Indoor pool. Complimentary newspaper and continental breakfast. $59 - 75.
- Comfort Suites, WV-9 and Short Road, 304-263-8888 or 800-424-6423, . 76 rooms. Outdoor pool, exercise room. Complimentary continental breakfast. Whirlpool suites available. $100 - $110.
Bed and Breakfasts
- Aspen Hall Inn, 405 Boyd Avenue, 304-260-1750, . 3 rooms. Historic Georgian period home from 1750, located on 7 acres with a stocked trout stream, within walking distance of downtown. Brick patio, grand hall, full-body Swedish relaxation massage available. George Washington attended a wedding here in 1761. $85 - $125.
- Boydville Inn, 601 S Queen Street, 304-263-1448. $125 - $145.
|Routes through Martinsburg