Ohio River - Marietta - 2007 Sternwheeler Festival
Marietta  is a city in Southeast Ohio. It is located at the confluence of the Muskingum River and Ohio River. Founded in 1788 it is the oldest city in Ohio. From the beginning it was one of Ohio's more important Ohio River ports. It is adjacent to part of the Wayne National Forest.
Marietta, the county seat of Washington County, is the first organized settlement in the Northwest Territory. A small town that has preserved its smalltown charm by having been left off of the rail lines and having had no connection to a highway until 1967. Since the construction of Route 7 and the new bridge across the river, Marietta has been on a slow path to resurrection. It has grown to extend from the Ohio Riverfront to the intersection of Interstate 77. The historic downtown has gone through several renovation phases, the most recent streetscape program has been the crowning touch. The town derives its name from Marie Antoinette, the French Queen, who supported the American Revolution. It is now one of the Ohio Valley and Southeastern Ohio's favorite destinations.
Interstate 77 connects Marietta with central Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Or by boat, at the Ohio Riverfront. It is located on the State line with West Virginia. The Ohio River separates the two states. Directly across the river bridge on Ohio Route 6 is Williamstown. Parkersburg, West Virginia is a short distance south with access to I-77.
The nearest airport is the Mid-Ohio Valley Regional Airport, route 31 off route 2 N, +1 304 464-5113, . On weekdays, US Airways has four daily flights to and from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Marietta is a small town on the banks of the Ohio River. The historic downtown is easy to walk, except everything is downhill to the river. There is a public boat ramp. Exploring the river with a guide should not be too difficult to find.
- Ohio River Museum, 601 Front Street, (740) 373-3717, .
- Ohio River Sternwheel Festival, ]. Ohio River Levee on the corner of Front and Greene St, downtown, always the weekend after Labor Day. Sa 7:30PM/1OPM. "Harry J. Robinson" Fireworks. They anchor barges in the middle of the Ohio River and produce one of Ohio's outstanding fireworks displays, from the barges, reflected in the water, with illumination of the bridges, by fireworks. Quite a display. Excellent event!
- Marietta Aquatic Center, 233 Pennsylvania Ave. +1 740 373-2445; . June 3-Sept. 4: Daily Noon-8PM. Marietta Aquatic Center is a large water park. Admission: Adults: $6, Youth (Up to 17): $5
- Fenton Art Glass, 104 Front Street, . The largest manufacturer of handmade colored glass in the United States. Each piece of glass is an artistic creation by skilled glassworkers and decorators. (Note: The Fenton Art Glass Factory nearly closed 2007, adding to the collectability. The factory stores are still open.)
- Napolis Pizza, 335 Pike St., +1 740 423-1111. Excellent subs.
- Smitty's Pizza, 500 Front Street 740-374-2280. Locally-owned pizzeria with a wide menu of pizzas, subs, soups, and desserts. Delivery, dine-in, and carry-out all available.
- Las TrancasMexican restaurant with a huge menu of traditional fare. Snack on chips and salsa while waiting for your meal, or try one of the many margarita flavors. Great family atmosphere with plenty of seating. Located in the Lafayette Plaza off of Pike Street (740-373-9508)
- Tiber Way Grille, 10 Tiber Way, ☎ 740 374 7377. 11 am-7 pm. Excellent comfort food. Great atmosphere. Friendly staff. edit
- Marietta Brewing Company, Front St. Good brews and food. Live entertainment on the weekends.
- Holiday Inn; 701 Pike St, +1 740 374-9660, Fax: +1 740 373-1762, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, .
- Best Western Marietta, 279 Muskingum Dr, +1 740 374-7211, Fax: +1 740 374-7211, .
- The Lafayette Hotel, []. Located at the confluence of the Muskingham and Ohio Rivers, is the focal point of the downtown district. The hotel, is on the National Register of Historic Places, and was cited "Best of Ohio" in Ohio Magazine (January 2004), for its spectacular view and top-notch service.
- RiverGarden Guest Wing, 995 Joe Skinner Road, Belpre Ohio 45714, ☎ 304.210.4383, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 11:00 AM. RiverGarden Guest Wing, a bed and breakfast / boutique hotel, offers condo-style lodgings on the bank of the Ohio River -- a private entrance, sleeps 6, full kitchen, and 200 feet from the Ohio River. edit