Margaret River  is a coastal town south of Perth. It is renown for its wineries, food and surf beaches.
Margaret River is a town located 9 km from the Indian Ocean.
The town is named after the river, which is presumed to be named after Margaret Whicher, cousin of John Garrett Bussell (founder of Busselton) in 1831. The name is first shown on a map of the region published in 1839. European migrants lived in the area as early as 1850, with timber logging commencing in around 1870. By 1910, the town had a hotel which also operated as a post office.
Margaret River is probably most well known for its wineries. The Mediterranean climate of the Margaret River region produces some of the best wines in Australia. Leeuwin Estate, one of the larger wineries, has an incredible range of wines. Vasse Felix, the first winery in the region, is another good place to sample some of the region’s famous wines. You might like to stop for lunch at the environmentally sustainably managed Cullen Winery.
Most common way to approach Margaret River is by car. There is no scheduled commercial air service, although there is an airport. It takes around 3 hours to drive from Perth. Take the Kwinana Freeway/Highway 1 route out of Perth, and ignore any mapping service which suggests an alternative route that may be shorter but slower.
Unless you are taking a tour, being in Margaret river town without a car is limiting. However, South West Coaches run a daily bus leaving Margaret River for Perth in the morning, and then leaving in the evening.
There is a TransWA coach that connects to the Bunbury train service.
Margaret River is a great place to walk or bike around. A car is helpful for seeing sites in the surrounding area, including the wineries.
A day in the Margaret River with a family, might start with a morning trip to the coffee roastery at Yahava, sip your morning cappuccino, followed by a trip to one of the three mazes, picking up some cheese and crackers from the Margaret River Dairy for morning tea on the way. Lunch at the Colonial Brewery, with a sampler of a beer and the kids on the playground, followed by a tour of one of the two lighthouses or four caves that run tours in the area. Drop into a couple of wineries for tasting, before heading to the beach to watch the sunset over the water (and a swim if visiting in summer).
- Wineries. There are an astonishing amount of wineries in the surrounding area, from large producers to smaller boutique wineries with just a couple of rows of vines. In some places there can be 3 or 4 cellar doors within a few hundred metres. Some wineries have the varandah, and have quality food available, others have souvenirs and produce, others will just fill your tasting glass when you arrive.
- Wardan Aboriginal Culture Centre
- Margaret River School of Wine
- Margaret River Caves
- Cape Leeuwin
- Coastal hiking trails, such as the Cape to Cape Track, extend for over 100KM around Margaret River
- Bicycle Tours run from Perth a few times a year. Australia By bike runs fully catered, food and 5 star accommodation tours from Perth WA. This is a great way to see the area without leaving a carbon footprint behind.
- Horse riding
- Paint balling
- See: Pemberton & Nannup
- Local wines, locally brewed beers, olive oils, cheese, nuts, coffee and other produce
- Bettenay's Margaret River Nougat Company
- Margaret River Chocolate Factory
- Candy Cow
- Caza Del Mar (Camping facilities), Georgette Way, Prevelly Park, ☎ +618 9757 2042.
Prevelly Caravan Park
- Prevelly Park Beach Resort, Lot 99, Mitchell Drive, Prevelly, ☎ +61 8 9757 2374 (email@example.com, fax: +61 8 9757 2790), . Powered and nonpowered sites set amongst trees. Budget style accommodation also available including park vans sleeping up to 6 people with fridge, kettle, toaster, crockery and cutlery supplied. Cedar cabins with exposed beams, sleep 5. located in shady bushland. Fully self-contained beach cottages include ensuites, kitchen and small wooden decks. Heaters, dvd's and line available to hire. No dogs allowed
- Quay West resort, Bunker bay, Bunker Bay Road, off Cape Naturaliste road, ☎ +61 8 9756 9100, . Luxury Margaret river accommodation nearby to Margaret River wine region.Day spa facilities available on site. Heated swimming pool with views of Bunker bay and the Indian ocean. Sunbathing deck, tennis court, fully-equipped gymnasium
- Surfpoint@Prevelly Backpackers, 12 Riedle Drive, Gnarabup, Margaret River, WA. 6285, ☎ +61 8 9757 1777, . Surfpoint @ Prevelly Backpackers hostel and accommodation located in the Margaret river region, on the south west coast of Western Australia is just a stroll to some of Australia’s finest surfing and swimming beaches. from $29.
- Australis Margaret River, 78 Wallcliffe Road, Margaret River, Western Australia 6285, ☎ +61 (0)8 9757 2633, . Motel style accommodation Margaret River accommodation. Tranquil location close to the town centre of Margaret and near many attractions.
- Quality Inn Margaret River, 78 Wallcliffe Road (From Town centre or Perth drive up the main town centre (South from GPO) at the top of the hill turn right onto Walcliffee rd and follow for 1km and you will see the property on your left hand side.), ☎ 08 9757 2633, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 10:00. Value Margaret River accommodation. 15 min drive to town centre. Natural bush surrounds, pool & restaurant.
- Bushy Lake Chalets, 26 Eucalyptus Court (5.2 Km from Margaret River town along Wallcliffe Road. Left at Caves Road intersection. First left on Roxburgh Road and follow the road around a small way to Eucalyptus Court.), ☎ +61 8 9757 9677, . checkin: 2:00pm; checkout: 10:00am. Comfortable fully self-contained chalet style accommodation close to beaches and wineries. Choice of studio chalets or 3 bedroom chalets. Includes wood fire, spa, balcony and 50 inch TV. from $180. (-33.964365,115.023574)