Mapua is a city in the Nelson Tasman region of New Zealand.
A quaint coastal village midway between Nelson and Motueka in the sunny Tasman region, it makes a nice visit for its vibrant wharf and beautiful waterfront. Mapua is the gateway to the ecologically sensitive Waimea Inlet, an estuary dotted small islands. Migratory birds and orca can be spotted seasonally. Excellent wineries and artisan fare can be found in the surrounding countryside. Explore the backroads and trails by foot or bicycle, then join the locals on the patio of one of the independent restaurants or cafes.
By car, Mapua is easily accessed from The Coastal Highway/SH 60: approximately 30 minutes from Nelson, 45 minutes from Abel Tasman National Park, and 4 hours from Christchurch.
Mapua can also be reached by coach or water taxi.
Park your car. Explore Mapua by foot, or hire a bicycle on the wharf.
- Smokehouse Café, Shed 2, Mapua Wharf, ☎ +64 3 540 2280, . Open daily. Where the river meets the ocean, this casual restaurant features indoor and outdoor dining. Featuring seafood, smoked fish, and fresh local vegetables from their retail outlet next door. An order of fish and chips on the wharf is a Mapua experience not to be missed. $15-30. edit
- Jellyfish Café & Bar, Shed 1, Mapua Wharf, ☎ +64 3 540 2028, . Mon-Sun 9:00 am til late. Mediterranean-influenced seaside café and bar right on the wharf. Seasonal menu and local wines. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Selected as 2013 finalists in the Hospitality NZ Awards for Excellence, recipient of 2014 Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence. edit
- The Golden Bear Brewing Company, 12 Aranui Road, Mapua, ☎ +64 3 540 3210, . Restaurant open Thurs-Sun 3:00-8:00, bar open Wed-Sun 3:00 til late.. Lively brew-pub in a renovated steel shed. Los Angeles-inspired Mexican food prepared with carefully-sourced ingredients. Locally brewed beers and outstanding vintages from nearby vineyards. edit
- The Naked Bun Café & Patisserie, Aranui Road, Mapua Village Mall, ☎ +64 3 540 3656. Open daily 7:00-5:00. Works from local artists add to the warm, sunlit space. A dedicated following of regulars and visitors come for the handcrafted pastries, cakes, and breads baked in house. Fresh espresso, local beer and wine list. edit
- Matahua Cottages, Apple Valley Road East, ☎ +643 540 2214, . Three stylishly renovated waterside cottages on a secluded peninsula, surrounded by organic vineyards, fruit trees, gardens, and native plants. Private courtyards, cozy wood stoves, outdoor bath with mountain views. edit