Maplewood is a city in Essex County.
Maplewood is a small suburb of Manhattan located in Essex County.
There are multiple ways to get to Maplewood.
- By Train, Maplewood Station is located in Maplewood’s downtown business district on Maplewood Ave. (Coming from NYC, take the Dover or Gladstone bound NJ Transit train out of New York Penn Station).
- By Car, Maplewood is located of exit 50B on Interstate 78. This can be reached from the Garden State Parkway and Interstate 95 (Jersey Turnpike).
Maplewood Village is where most of the action is (this is the business district). The Village is located on Maplewood Ave and stretches about a quarter mile. Maplewood can be easily navigated by walking or by car.
- Memorial Park, A large park with multiple sports fields, playgrounds, ponds and rivers located just outside of the business district. Many people come to this park on nice days to enjoy the weather, have picnics, walk dogs, etc. The park hosts many different events on days such as the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, etc. Including Maplewoodstock, an annual two-day town event. There is no fee to enter the park.
Maplewood is known for it’s many small boutiques. These stores are unique to the town and sell merchandise that usually cannot be purchased in malls. A must-have item in Maplewood is the Maplewood apparel. The town’s logo is a maple leaf, and each item pictures this. Sweatshirts, t-shirts, shorts etc., can be purchased at the train station, 145 Dunnel Rd.
- The Village Trattoria, 2 Inwood Place. This is a local family run Italian restaurant. The restaurant features a wide selection of pizzas as well as having a sit down dining area. Prices range from $2 for a slice of pizza, to $19.95 for seafood specials. The service is fast and friendly. Located in the heart of Maplewood Village, with both indoor and outdoor seating.
- Maplewood Deli, 149 Maplewood Ave. A casual deli with take out and dine in options. Prices range from $4.95-$10.95. Menu features basic deli food as well as "house specialties". Located in downtown Maplewood.
- Lorena's, 168 Maplewood Ave. A Zagat rated French restaurant. Must have a reservation (make a few weeks in advance). Prices range from $11.00-$48.00. Indoor and outdoor seating available.
- St. James Gate, 167 Maplewood Ave. A local pub located in the business district in Maplewood. "The Gate" serves lunch and dinner and at night the bar life begins. A wide variety of beers and wines are available. "The Gate" has a laid back atmosphere with live music and entertains all ages groups.
- New York City, a thirty-minute drive or train ride away.
- Short Hills NJ, a five-minute drive, home of the Short Hills Mall.
- Ironbound District of Newark NJ, a twenty-minute drive or train ride. This area is home to many different restaurants, all very well known in the area.
- Sandy Hook NJ, a thirty-minute drive or train ride. This is the closest “Jersey Shore” beach to Maplewood.