Malate is an interesting but gritty and dirty area in Manila.
The best way to get to Malate with luggage, ie. from the airport, regardless of what part of the city you come from, is by a cab/ taxi which is about P200 to P400 depending on traffic. Make sure to check for the meter before you get in and and that the meter has been activated prior to proceeding as some would try to make you pay more than what you should be paying for. Taxis are affordable and almost all are now air-conditioned and use a meter for the fare. Some drivers may take advantage of tourists but closer regulation by authorities and even the mall operators is curbing this practice slowly. Many taxis are in a poor state of repair and the driving erratic. When hiring a taxi, make sure the the meter starts at 40 Pesos. The LTFRB (Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board) has now instituted hotline numbers to report errant drivers, just take note of the cab name and number. Mall operators also closely monitor the operations of taxis that utilise their taxi ranks by ensuring that cab drivers do not choose only those passengers bound for nearby destinations.
Malate is also on the LRT-1 line, with three stations (U.N., Pedro Gil and Vita Cruz) all being about 1km from most places in Malate. The fare from the airport is P15.
Remedios and M. H. del Pilar Streets, Malate, Manila, Philippines
Tel: +63 2 400 5877
Pharmacies in Malate are abundant, but be wary as a foreigner as many of them will overcharge you a great deal for basic OTC medication. You should expect to spend 2-10 PHP per pill, but smaller pharmacies may try to charge as much as 10 times that amount. If you find yourself in need of medicine it is probably best to stick with "The Generics Pharmacy." They are a large chain and will provide you with same price for medication as the locals.
- Casa Armas, 573 J. Nakpil St., Malate, +632-523-5763. Specialties: paella, cuchinillo (must be ordered 6 hours in advance) and garlic crab Thanh Long style (admittedly not very Spanish but great nonetheless).
- Tanabe Japanese Restaurant, Remedios Cricle, Malate (+63 2) 528-4689. Superb Unagi (eel), must-try Usuyaki beef with enoki mushrooms, quality sushi & sashimi and value for money bento boxes.
- Ryuen Yakiniku, Ma. Orosa corner Nakpil St. Malate. (Part of the Gyumon group of restaurants). Make sure to order the Jo Karubi beef.
- Cafe Adriatico, Adriatico St. Remedios Circle, Malate. The flagship of LJC Restaurant Group. Open from 7AM to 6AM the following day (4:00 AM on Sundays). A popular hang-out place for locals and tourists. Among the Café’s specialties are Chicken ala Kiev, Spareribs Adobo, Salpicao Rice, Callos, Lengua Estofada, Classic Café Adriatico Burger, Pancit Palabok, and Authentic Spanish Hot Chocolate Beverage called “Chocolate Eh’.
- Korean Village Restaurant. Nakpil St. Malate. From kimchi to its beef stew, japchae, and bulgogi to Korean ice cream bars. Order ala carte or yakiniku style.
- The Fireplace at the 5/f of Hyatt Hotel and Casino. 588 Pedro Gil coner M.H. del Pilar, Malate, Manila. Tel. +63 2 252 6888 for reservations. US Angus Rib Eye grilled to perfection. Butterfly Prawns with Risotto. Potato Gratin. New York Cheesecake.
There are loads of bars and clubs in Malate, catering to many different tastes. Some can be a bit sleazy, but many are not.
- Bedrock, 1782 M. Adriatico St, ☎ +63 522-7279. Flintstones themed bar/eatery. Wonderfully weird and often a bit camp. They have live music nights. edit
- Penguin Gallery, 604 Remedios Circle, ☎ +63 920 853 2128, . 6pm-2am. One of the coolest and most Bohemian joints in town. They have many of the best bands and groups play live, especially on weekends. Currently listed as Top Pick in The Lonely Planet Guidebook. Php 150. edit
- Ole, Remedios Circle. This place seems to get a few local punters. However, at 500PhP for 2 drinks, it's the single most expensive bar for western tourists in Manila. Treat with caution! Also watch out for cockroaches at the bar. edit
- Pink Manila Hostel, 2551 Bautista cor Don Pedro, Manila, 1004 (Closest LRT is Vito Cruz, 5 minute walk up P. Ocampo Street, left at Bautista, 1 block over. Or tell Taxi driver to head for St Scholastica College), ☎ +63 2 484 31 45, . checkin: 13:00; checkout: 12:00. New, fun hostel in safer residential area. Located on the 5th - 8th floors of a huge house with an outdoor pool and bar area, wifi, cable TV, pool table, a/c and fan rooms. Rates from $10. A basic gym is also available in the building. 10USD. (14.565310,120.998564) edit
- Our Awesome Hostel- Manila Hostel, ABBA Bldg., 5756 Kalayaan Ave, Makati, ☎ +63 927 3870267 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . A recently opened cosy hostel within walking distance to the nightlife and cosmo district of The Fort/Bonifacio Global City. Rooms are spacious and cosy and has its separate toilet and bath. Rates start at ₱550.00. Please see website for promotions. edit
- Manila Manor Hotel, 1660 Jorge Bocobo Street, ☎ (632) 525 9065 to 72, . All rooms have air conditioning, cable television, minibar, room service, daily news paper, safety deposit box, free WiFi, hot and cold water. Some of its facilities and services are Courtney's Cafe, function rooms, 24 hours standby generator, 24 hours security and free WiFi access. Rates start at 1,729.00 PHP. edit
- Hostel 1632, 1632 Adriatico St., ☎ (00632) 522-8888, . All rooms are equipped with keycard doorlock system, safety deposit box, cable television, IDD / NDD telephone system, minibar, toilet and bath. Some of its facilities and services are coffee shop, Japanese Restaurant, business center, conference & banquet facilities, 24 hours security, room service, car/transport services and laundry service. Rates start at 1,600.00 PHP. edit
- Adriatico Arms Hotel, 561 Adriatico St. (''corner of Nakpil St.''), Malate, ☎ +63524-7426, +63521-0736 (fax: +63(632)525-6214). nice and cozy hotel in the middle of Malate but nevertheless quiet inside the rooms. Very friendly and helpfully staff and security. Rooms and bed are quite big and clean the same with the attached bathrooms. The staff cleans each room and bath every day. The aircon is a bit noisy. standard room PHP1650, deluxe room PHP1900. edit
- Orange Nest Hotel, 1814 San Marcelino St., ☎ +63(2)516-1630, . All rooms are equipped with Air-conditioning, Wifi access, cable/satellite TV, private bath and toilet. Some of its facilities and services are elevator/Lift, executive floor, restaurant, concierge, room service, laundry service and Wi-Fi in public areas. Rates start at 1,500.00 PHP. edit
- Malate Pensionne, . An OK place just 2 buildings away from Friendly's and worth having a look. Double room with private bath 1200 Php, Budget Triple 1425 Php, Double 950 Php, Dorm 350 Php. edit
- Hotel Kimberly, 770 Pedro Gil Street, ☎ +632-521-1888, . Immaculate boutique hotel. Rates from Php 2110. edit
- Joward's Pension House, 1730 M. Adriatico St., ☎ +632-5214845. A bit run-down but relatively clean. Small rooms, dismissive staff, but pretty cheap for a single room. Bathrooms are shared. Rates start at PHP275 for a single fan-cooled room; PHP525 for an air-conditioned room. edit (this is gone, if 1730 M. Adratico is the correct address. There is a new much more expensive looking hotel now, Manila Crown Plaza, just built, not yet opened.)
- Pension Natividad, 1690 M.H del Pilar, ☎ +632-5210524, +632-5260992, +632-5240811 (fax: +632-5223759), . checkout: 12 noon. Email: email@example.com . Clean, secure and friendly staff. edit
- Hotel Victoria de Malate, 2184 Madre Ignacia Street (Along Quirino Avenue, across Manila Zoo), ☎ +63 (2) 521 1084, . Thematic rooms. edit
- Leesons Residences, 944 Remedios Street, corner San Pascual, ☎ (632) 4748097, . It provides furnished units for as low as Php 10,000 a month and unfurnished units for as low as Php 9,000 a month. Php 1,500 and up. edit
- Where 2 Next – Manila Hostel, 1776 M. Adriatico Street, Malate, Manila, Philippines, ☎ +63 2-354-3533, . Where 2 Next is a new and modern hostel owned by two Filipino-Australian sisters. Where2Next has 24 hour reception, Internet access, A/C, luggage lockers, linens and towels, cable TV, a common room, kitchen, and free WI FI. Shared from $600 pesos | Twins frm $1085 pesos. edit
- D Circle Hotel, ☎ +63 (2) 256 0888 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +63 (2) 256 8889), . Experience genuine Filipino hospitality when staying in D Circle Hotel-Manila. Strategically located in the tourist district of Malate and Ermita, enjoy breathtaking views of the famous Manila Bay sunset while having cocktails at the Ministry Rooftop bar. The hotel is a stone's throw away from US embassy, SM Mall of Asia, and ASEANA Casino Strip. A relatively young hotel, it offers 50 spacious rooms that provide utmost comfort with newly constructed bedroom, hot and cold shower, cable TV, and Strong WIFI Internet access. Guest services include cafe, mini-bar, convention / banquet facilities, room service, 24 Front Desk & CCTV security, business center, and room service. Rates start at PHP 2,430. edit
- Palm Plaza Hotel, 526 Pedro Gil cor M. Adriatico St., ☎ (63-2) 522-1000, . Their Manila hotel accommodation offers rooms equipped with vingcard locks, cable television, minibar, NDD/IDD telephone system, hot & cold shower. Some of its facilities and services are convention & banquet facilities, bar, room service, masseur service and 24 Hour CCTC security. Rates start at 2,130.00 PHP. edit
- Malvar Hostel, 636 Gen. Malvar St., ☎ (632) 523-55-65, . All rooms are equipped with telephone, air conditioning, shower, satellite/cable TV and key card locking system. Some of its facilities and services are coffee shop, business center, non-smoking rooms, car park, 24hr room service, Wi-Fi in public areas and laundry service/dry cleaning. Rates start at 2,090.00 PHP. edit
- Las Palmas Hotel, 1616 A. Mabini St., ☎ (63-2) 521-1000, . Their Manila hotel accommodation offer rooms equipped with bed side control panel, cable TV, WiFi internet access, IDD/NDD, minibar, hot and cold shower with bathtub. Some of its facilities and services are business center, restaurant, smoking area, coffee shop, elevator, meeting facilities, room service, 24 hour front desk, airport shuttle and laundry service/dry cleaning. Rates start at 2,100.00 PHP. edit
- The Executive Plaza Hotel, 1630 A. Mabini Street, ☎ (63-2) 523-1000, . Their Manila hotel accommodation offers rooms equipped with cable TV, key card lock system, telephone with IDD/NDD and radio & alarm clock. Some of its facilities and services are coffee shop, business center, bar, game room, executive floor, room service, Wi-Fi in public areas, airport transfer, laundry service and valet services. Rates start at 2,250.00 PHP. edit
- Sohotel 2016 M. H. del Pilar Street, Malate, Tel. No.: +63 (2) 521-4341 to 44. This seedy Manila hotel accepts online reservations via the Sohotel official website. They, however, lose the reservations, and ask for proof that you made the reservation, then charge you extra. They run a 'service car' that charges you afterwards, with a high price above normal taxi fares. This hotel features 24-hour room service that takes over an hour to arrive and themed rooms that can also accommodate parties and other celebrations. The rooms smell and are not cleaned well, and the staff are dishonest.
- New Solanie Hotel, 1811 Leon Guinto Street, ☎ +63 2 5248641, . All rooms equipped with Air-conditioning, Wireless/ LAN Internet access and TV with cable/ satellite channels. Some of its facilities and services are Business center, Meeting facilities, function rooms, Transportation service, tour assistance, Wi-Fi Internet access and 24-hour room service. Rates start at PHP 2,180.00. edit
- Taft Tower Hotel, ☎ +63 (2) 567 0651 to 55 (email@example.com, fax: +63 (2) 567 0656), . Taft Tower Hotel guarantees maximum convenience when staying in the Philippines's capital city. Strategically located near Manila's commercial and business districts, The hotel offers 44 spacious rooms that provides utmost comfort with offerings of a well-appointed bath and shower, cable TV, and Internet access. 29th Floor EGI Taft Tower, 2339 Taft Avenue, Malate, Manila, 1004 Philippines. Rates start at PHP 2,430. edit
- Manila Crown Palace Hotel, 1726 Adriatico St. corner Alonzo St., ☎ +63-2-3282828, . Their Manila hotel accommodation offers rooms equipped with coffee/tea maker, minibar, safe, private toilet and bath with hot and cold shower, NDD and IDD telephone system, individual room temperature control, flat screen cable television, electronic key card room access, in-room dining and Wi-Fi internet connectivity. Some of its facilities and services are Crown Seafood Market and Restaurant, function rooms, 24-hour security with CCTV, complimentary Wi-Fi, concierge, business services, transportation service, valet parking, currency exchange, in-room spa service, travel and tours service. Rates start at PHP 3400.00. edit
- Hyatt Hotel and Casino Manila, 1588 Pedro Gil Corner MH Del Pilar, ☎ +63 2 245 1234 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 5 star hotel with views of Manila Bay. Has a Casino and a spa. edit
- Greater Grace Church, 2640 Dian St. Services Su 10:30AM, W 6:30PM. Non-denominational evangelical church. edit