The Manawatu is a broad flat river plain on the south-west side of the North Island of New Zealand. Much of it has been formed by the mighty Manawatu river, one of the few rivers in the world to bisect a mountain range.
- Vinegar Hill - Popular camping ground on the Rangitikei River, which for 30 years has hosted an annual gay and lesbian New Year's Eve party.
Intercity operates the national bus network with daily departures. Tickets can be purchased online or throughout the country at numerous agents including the i-site network.
State Highways 1 and 3 which runs through the Manawatu.
Palmerston North is also on the main railway line between Auckland and Wellington
Northbound Train – Palmerston North City is a stop on the famous Northern Explorer train between Auckland and Wellington taking in some of the country’s most beautiful scenery. The Northern Explorer operates a six day timetable, departing Auckland on Monday, Thursday & Saturday, and Wellington on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday.
Southbound Train - Travelling to and from Wellington is easy on the Capital Connection – a two hour commuter rail service between Palmerston North City and Wellington that runs Monday – Friday (excluding public holidays).
- Te Manawa, 396 Main Street, ☎ +64 6 355-5000 (email@example.com), (fax +64 6 358-3552), . Open:10AM-5PM daily including weekends and public holidays (except Christmas Day). Combines a museum, art gallery and interactive science center, to create a fusion of life, art and mind. Free admission to Life and Art galleries. Mind galleries: $6 adult, $4 child, $15 family.
- New Zealand Rugby Museum, 87 Cuba St, ☎ +64 6 358 6947 (firstname.lastname@example.org),( fax +64 6 358 6947), . Open M-Sa 10AM-4PM. Su 1.30PM-4PM. Tour and rugby groups by arrangement. Contains NZ's biggest and most comprehensive collection of rugby memorabilia and records. adults $5, children $2.
- Coach House Museum, 121 South St, Feilding, ☎ +64 6 323 6401 (email@example.com), . Home to an outstanding collection of rural New Zealand heritage, showcasing over 140 years of history.
- City Library, 4 The Square. ☎ +64 6 351 4100 (firstname.lastname@example.org) , (fax +64 6 351 4102), . M,Tu,Th 10AM-6PM, W,F 10AM-8PM, Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 1PM-4PM. 'New' award-winning Central Library.
- Palmerston North City i-SITE. For a comprehensive, impartial information and booking service for Palmerston North and New Zealand, the i-SITE is your one stop shop for all things travel! In The Square, ☎ +64 6 350 1922, fax +64 6 350 1929, (email@example.com).
- Feilding and District Information Centre. Provides visitor information and travel bookings for Feilding and the surrounding district. If you’re planning to visit on a Friday, contact the team in advance to book yourself on the Saleyards Tour, and to find out about the current events and happenings in the town. You can find the Centre in Manchester Square, right next to the Feilding Hotel. Book bus, train and ferry tickets as well as checking out what the district has to offer. ☎ +64 6 323 3318, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Wellington, Wanganui, Wairarapa or Hawkes Bay