Manassas  is a small city in northern Virginia with a strong Civil War presence.
The very first battle of the Civil War, The First Battle of Bull Run, was fought in Manassas.
Manassas has made the news on many occasions. It was here that Lorena Bobbit severed her husband's manhood with a knife in the middle of the night. On Route 234, the Sunoco gas station is where the Washington DC beltway snipers killed one of their victims. On Center Street is located the Manassas office of Comcast where an 80 year old lady recently went wild with a small hammer when she was upset with their customer service and it made national headlines. During the fourth season of Fox Television's American Idol, 21 year old Travis Tucker from Manassas became one of the top ten American Idol finalists. Also during the same season of American Idol, Judge Simon Cowell declared 18-year old Mary Roach from Manassas, the worst singer in the world.
Virginia Railway Express and Amtrak operate train service to/from Washington DC.
Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission operates commuter bus service to/from Washington DC.
Sudley Road (Route 234 Business) runs North/South through Manassas, is the main shopping artery of the city.
- Bull Run Battlefield, . 8:30AM-5PM daily. Two major Civil War battlefields. Walking and driving tours of First and Second Manassas battlefields are available. $3 fee, Park Pass applies. edit
- Splashdown Waterpark, ☎ (703) 792-8200, . edit
- Ice Skating @ Harris Pavillion, 9201 Center Street (Old Town Manassas), ☎ 703-361-9800, . Closed Monday & Tuesday; Wed - Thurs - 3:00 - 8:00; Friday - 3:00 - 10:00; Sat - 12:00 - 10:00; Sun - 12:00 - 5:00. Adults: $8; Children: $7; Skate Rental: $3. edit
- General's Ridge Golf Course, 9701 Manassas Drive, ☎ 703-335-0777, . edit
- Magic Putting Place, 8902 Mathis Ave, ☎ (703) 257-7888 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 2 18-hole miniature golf courses. Before 6pm M–F: $4.00; Before 6pm Sa, Su, & Holidays: $4.50; After 6pm: $5.00; Additional 18 Holes of Golf: $2.00. edit
- Manassas Mall, 8300 Sudley Rd, ☎ (703) 368-0181, . Features many major clothing stores. edit
- J.E. Rice True Value Hardware, 9124 Mathis Ave, ☎ (703) 361-3141, . A traditional hardware store in business for over 70 years. They have it all! edit
Manassas is fairly close to Washington DC, so there's a decent selection of minority ethnic restaurants in addition to regular fare. In addition, many chains are represented in Manassas including Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, Golden Corral, Great American Steak and Buffet, Red, Hot and Blue, Hooters, Logan's Roadhouse, and local favorite Five Guys hamburgers. Manassas is also known locally for its unusually high number of 7/11 convenience stores per capita. This includes two on Sudley Road that are inexplicably right next door to each other. Local favorites are concentrated in the Old Town. The city of Manassas has a meals tax.
- City Tavern Grille, 9405 Main St (Old Town), ☎ (703) 330-0076, . edit
- Foster's Grill, 9417 West St (Old Town), ☎ (703) 257-7272, . Several locations in the area. edit
- Okra's Cajun Creole Restaurant, 9110 Center St (Old Town), . (703) 368-3427. edit
- Tony's New York Pizza, 9108 Mathis Avenue, ☎ 703-330-8109, . A Napoli family-run Italian restaurant, with undoubtedly the best pizza, salads, pastas in the area edit
- Nathan's Dairy Bar, 8948 Mathis Ave, ☎ (703) 335-9051, . Su-Th: 11AM-10PM; F-Sa: 11AM-11PM. Extremely popular! edit
- BadWolf Brewing Company, 9776 Center St., . Beer is brewed on site on a 1 barrel system. The taproom offers pints, samples and growlers of beer to go. edit
- Best Western Manassas, 8640 Mathis Avenue, ☎ 703-368-7070, . edit
- Courtyard Manassas Battlefield Park, 10701 Battleview Parkway, Manassas, Virginia 20109, ☎ 703-335-1300, . edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!