Mal País is a town in Costa Rica's Central Pacific. Located along a dusty road southwest of Cóbano, it is best known as one of the country's premier surfing spots along with the neighboring community of Santa Teresa.
From San José, the most convenient drive into the area is via the Puntarenas-Paquera ferry. Once in Paquera, follow the signs on the roads that take you through Playa Tambor and Cóbano. A 4x4 is highly recommended, as this route includes sections of dirt road through the mountains.
The drive from the north (Liberia, Tamarindo, Nicoya, etc.) is quickest along Route 21, which is mostly (but not completely) paved heading all the way down to Paquera. From there, follow the above directions. During the dry season, the entire drive will take approximately four hours from Liberia airport, but plan to factor in a couple hours more during the rainy period. Alternately there is a coastal route from the north, but this is not recommended as the road is all dirt and there are several rivers to ford.
A small airport in Tambor, less than an hour east of Mal País, services flights to and from San José. Buses and taxis can take you from there to the coast.
- Fuego Lodge (Affordable Private Comfort, perfect for couples and families), 100mts North from Santa Teresa's Soccer Field (2Km North from Playa Carmen's main intersection in Mal Pais), ☎ (506) 2640 0444, . checkin: 1pm flexible; checkout: 11am flexible. Find yourself immersed in a pleasant rain forest dream... Each house is equipped with complete kitchen, living room, dining area, bathroom, hot water, fully air-conditioned, Cable TV, DVD player and Wireless Internet connection of 2Mbs. 80-200 depending on the group size, season and length of stay. (9.645,-85.167) edit
- bungallows super vista, ☎ (506) 8873 8303. the only bungalows that are directly on the beach 100-120. edit
- Sandy Lane Estate, Santa Teresa (on the beach), ☎ 001-323-467-6715, . A luxury beachfront estate with 4 bedrooms & baths right on the white sand beach. Environmentally friendly and carbon neutral. edit
- Luz de Vida Resort , Santa Teresa, beach front bungalows and hotel rooms, enjoy any kind of sport: beach volleyball, pool table, tennis table and the best surf breaks of Santa Teresa in front of the hotel.
- Funky Monkey Lodge (Beach hotel), Santa Teresa Mal Pais (center os Santa Teresa), ☎ 50626400272, . checkin: all day; checkout: 11.am. Beach Lodge with spacious bungalows, AC/ocean view apartments, only 4 min. walk from the main surfing spots. Boutique hotel with restaurant and swimming pool. Excellent location. from $30. edit
- Frank's Place Hotel, Playa Carmen (Right before the crossroads at the entrance), ☎ +50626400096, . checkin: 14.00; checkout: 12.00. Established in 1992 and located at 150 meters from the surfing beach of Playa Carmen. Different types of rooms, A/C, cable TV. fridge, safe box deposit, courtesy breakfast, private bathrrom with hot water. There is a large pool area, on-site restaurant, WiFi and free internet, parking and a tour desk. $45-$145. edit
- Tranquilo Backpackers, Mal País, (TRANQUILOBACKPACKERS2@GMAIL.COM), . Dorms are $11 per night. Doubles with private bathroom are $35 per night. Loft room with up to 6 beds $78 per group per night or $13 per person. Private bathroom included. $11 dorm. edit