Magetan is a town in East Java.
Magetan is a small hilly town on the eastern slope of the 3265-metre Mount Lawu or Gunung Lawu in Indonesian, near the Central Javanese border.
- From other parts of East Java: by bus or car, usually from Madiun. Magetan is about half an hour away from Madiun, to the west.
- From Central Java [heading east]: by car, through Karanganyar to Tawangmangu on the western slope of Mt Lawu. You can have a stopover here to enjoy the famous Grojogan Sewu Waterfall. [Grojogan Sewu literally means "The Thousand Waterfall"]. Then continue your journey on to the Cemoro Sewu mountain pass, which marks an entrance into East Java. The main tourist attraction of Magetan, named Telaga [Pond] Sarangan, is 5 km down the mountain slope.
This road is easily accessible by car, although considerably steep. As of 2013 a new road has been constructed, wider, well marked, with guard rails. Whether approaching Sarangan from the west (Solo/Jogjakarta) or the east (Magetan/Madiun) the way road is reasonably easy to navigate.
By public minivans.
- Telaga Sarangan which is a small lake 10 km west of the town centre, some 1200 metres above sea level. Has stunning views with a mountain backdrop. There are some hotels and a restaurant near the lake. You can walk around the lakeshore [a rather long walk], hire a motorboat or ride a horse.
- Some waterfalls near Telaga Sarangan [for the adventurous]
CULTURAL/LOCAL CUSTOM NOTE: There is another small lake near Telaga Sarangan, which is called Telaga Wurung [literally "Lake of Cancellation"]. Those who have a girlfriend/boyfriend but have not got married are advised not to visit this lake, otherwise their relationship would split. Here the "cancellation" means "being cancelled from getting married".
- Hire a motorboat for a round trip on Telaga Sarangan
- Ride a horse to get around this lake
There are a restaurant and some "warung"s [simple, small eateries] near the lake - Overpriced!
The town also has some restaurants.
- Hotel and backpackers hostels [losmen] near Telaga Sarangan
Hotel Sarangan - This hotel has it's own restaurant for those less adventuresome, and room service. English is spoken. Most rooms have a view overlooking the lake and the valleys in the distance. Most rooms are two room suites with fireplace, shower and western toilets.
- Madiun a medium-sized town famous for its Nasi Pecel - a salad rice with a spicy peanut dressing.
- Back to Tawangmangu, a mountainous tourist spot in Central Java [about 15 km to the west].