Mabul Island (Pulau Mabul in Malay) is a small island off the south-east coast of Sabah in Malaysian Borneo. The island is known as one of the best muck diving destinations in the world.
The island is covered in palm trees and fringed with fine beaches. It is a famous diving spot for divers, both international and local alike, and is well known as the macro diving paradise.
It is located near Pulau Sipadan.
Make your way to Semporna, then take a boat from there. The journey takes about 30 minutes by speed boat, 1.5 hours by slow boat. Resorts and lodges provide boat transfers for their guests. Visitors can also come in on day tours by joining a dive trip organized by one of the dive operators in Semporna.
Mabul is small enough to be explored entirely on foot. There are no roads or cars. Boats take visitors to various diving and snorkeling sites around the island.
House on stilts at Mabul island
Mabul possesses beautiful sandy beaches lined with coconut palm trees. However, the indiscriminate throwing of litter by the local fishermen does much to detract from this beauty, particularly on the island's west side.
One of the many nudibranchs in the waters around Mabul Island
Scuba diving - While its famous neighbour Sipadan is a home to large pelagic species, Mabul is the place to find the smaller macro species. Scorpionfishes, frogfishes, nudibranchs, crocodilefishes, various crustaceans and many other interesting and rare forms of marine life can be found here. Most dive sites are quite shallow - 12-18 m - with a maximum depth of around 30 m in a few places. Visibility is around 5-8 m at the real muck sites like Froggy Lair, Paradise Reef, and Seaventure Platform, reaching around 15 m at the seaward site Lobster Wall. Turtles can also be seen in places, although by far not as many as at Sipadan.
NOTE: Most of the dive shops, if not all of them, are operated by the home stay and resorts. They don't like divers to live but dive with other operators. They may not allow you to dive with them if you're not staying with them.
Snorkeling - A few sites close to shore are suitable for snorkeling, primarily around Paradise Reef as well as Lobster Wall.
Besides small shops in resorts and lodges there are also small shops that sell like that operate by local from theirs home on the island. You can buy the basic necessity things there like shampoo, tooth paste even soda drinks.
There are no restaurants, but resorts and lodges provide their guests all meals.
Resorts and lodges provide drinks to their guests. Other than that there are local shop that run by local that sell drink cans and bottles on Mabul.
There are several resorts in the island.
- 啊哈潜水 (Arung Hayat Sipadan Adventures), Mabul Island, . checkin: anytime; checkout: 12 pm. Budget longhouse accommodations provided. Diving instructors/Divemasters available for English/Chinese/Malay language teaching. Chinese website please refers to www.ahadiving.com, and English website please refers to www.sipadanadventures.com. (中文官方网站: www.ahadiving.com, 新浪微博: @啊哈潜水) edit
- My Scuba Diver  A homestay with diving facility. Diving package available. PADI course available in English, Japanese, Chinese and Malay. Phone: +60128662397 Email: email@example.com
- Billabong Scuba , 089-781866 is a backpackers lodge with diving facility/Sipadan permit. Accommodation range from RM 70 RM. 120.00 with all meal during stay. Sipadan permit available. English, French, Chinese guides on site. Aircon room/attached bathroom/basic room available. Diving package from RM. 300 to 1600.
- Noble Inworld Diving . A homestay and dive resort is which offers clean and basic accomodations on Mabul, diving and high instructor to student ratios. Price for homestay is 60 RM a night with all meals included and diving is 250 RM for 3 fun dives on Mabul.
- Mabul Backpackers, ☎ 089782334, . checkin: anytime; checkout: 12 pm. Newly built longhouse accommodation on Mabul. Also has a PADI dive center. Rm70 including all meals. edit
- Scuba Jeff Sipadan, Mabul Island, ☎ 0178614391, . checkin: anytime; checkout: 12 pm. Offers budget accommodation. Rm70. edit
- Uncle Chang's Sipadan Mabul Dive Lodge, (book at Uncle Chang's office right on the causeway in Semporna next to the Dragon Inn or at the second office near the dive shops at Semporna town, and get your transfer to the island arranged), . RM80 per person per night including all meals. edit
- Big John Scuba, ☎ +60142843723, . Nice homestay and diveschool with friendly staff. Small dive shop with big heart. PADI courses, fun dives, and more. RM70. edit
- Summer Friends Homestay  is an accommodation with diving, snorkeling and hiking packages at Mabul, Sipadan, Kapalai and Bohey Dulang. Accommodation rate is at RM70 per pax per night with meals and snacks.
- Mabul Dive Lodge, (book at dive centre in Semporna at Causeway Road near Semporna Ocean Tourism Centre), ☎ +60 089 919128, +60 089 781788 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Air-conditioned chalets. edit
- Scuba Junkie/Mabul Beach Resort, (email@example.com), . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 11am. RM450-500 dive Sipadan, RM250-300 dive other island,. edit
- Seaventures Dive Resort, (firstname.lastname@example.org), . An old accomodation barge (not an oil rig) that has been converted to a dive resort, just off the north shore of Mabul edit
- Mabul Water Bungalows, . starts at US$394 per non-diver for 2D1N twin share. edit
- Sipadan Water Village Resort, (fly into Tawau, then get picked up at the airport for transfer to the resort), ☎ +60 089 784227 / 784228 / 797008 / 797009 (email@example.com, fax: +60 089 797006), . Very nice chalets on stilts above the water, but very pricey. starts at US$425 per person for 2D1N twin share. edit
Take a boat back to Semporna.