Eastern Ortodox church in Mažeikiai
Mažeikiai is an eighth largest city in Lithuania with a population of around 45.300. The city is located in the north-western Lithuania on the Venta River. Mažeikiai is part of Žemaitija (Samogitia) region and its largest city.
Mažeikiai Tourism And Business Information Centre (Mažeikių turizmo ir verslo informacijos centras), Ventos St 8A (Cenral part, south of railway), ☎ +370 443 67177 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-Th 08:00-17:00, F 08:00-15:45. Provides regular tourist services, consultations on business.
Mažeikiai was first mentioned in written sources in 1335. The town started growing rapidly in 1869 when a railway line connecting Vilnius and Liepāja was constructed. In 1980 an oil refinery plant "Mažeikių Nafta" was opened. Today it is one of the largest industrial plants in Lithuania.
You can get to Mažeikiai by train from Šiauliai or by bus from most other cities in Lithuania.
The closest airports to Mažeikiai are in Riga, Palanga and Kaunas.
There are two bus lines in the city. Timetables may be found here.
- Mažeikiai Museum, V. Burbos 9, ☎ +370 443 26037. 10-18 h. The museum was established in 1928. It has huge archeological, istorical, etnographical and folk art collections. Adults:5 LTL, Pupils, Students and OAP 3 LTL. edit
- Church of the Holy Heart of Jesus, J. Basanavičiaus 18. Construction of the church started in 1930 and was completed in 1935. It was consecrated in 1936 by Bishop of Telšiai Justinas Staugaitis who also was one of the twenty signatories to the Act of Independence of Lithuania. The architectural style of the church is modern. edit
- Church of Saint Francis of Assisi, Naftininkų 13. Church was started to build in 1994 and was completed in 2005. Church was built under the project of architects Kazlauskas and Štaudė. edit
- Eastern Ortodox church of the Assumption of the Mother of God into Heaven, Respublikos 50. Church was built in 1930 under the project of architect Kopylov. edit
- Church of Evangelical Lutherans, Laisvės 41. Church was consecrated in 1911. During the World War II it was strongly damaged and was repaired by Soviet atuhority which estabslihed a fire station in the building. The Church was finally returned to the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation in 1998. edit
- Visit Mažeikiai Park. The park was established in the middle of the 20th Century and now occupies an area of 11.3 ha.
- BC Mažeikiai Basketball Games, Pavenčių 15. The city's main team plays in National Basketball League which is the second-tier basketball minor league in Lithuania. BC Mažeikiai won the title in 2013. Price for puppils is LTL 2 and for others it is LTL 5 per game. edit
- Mažeikiai Ice Arena Ice sports, Senkelio 3A, ☎ +370 443 27017. The price for puppils is LTL 8, for adults - LTL 9. edit
- Mažeikiai Centre of Culture Cultural events, Naftininkų 11, ☎ +370 443 65858 (email@example.com, fax: +370 443 65858). edit
There are many restaurants and cafeterias in the city.
There are five hotels in Mažeikiai. More information about the hotels you may find here.
Telšiai, unofficial capital of Samogitia.
Riga, capital of neighboring Latvia, easily accessible by car, slightly more difficult by public transport, and much closer than Vilnius.
Plungė, a small city of Samogitia region with a famous manor.
Šiauliai, Lithuania's fourth largest city.
Židikai, a small town in Mažeikiai district, located 21 km west of Mažeikiai.