Mörön is the capital of Hövsgöl, and a usual stopover en route due to it's central location in the province.
- Fly twice a week (as of January 2015) from Ulaanbaatar for about $100USD (flight time is around 1 hour 30 minutes). As of January 2015 there were no flights to Khatgal (Khövsgöl Nuur).
- Bus, or Micro-bus from Ulaanbaatar (around 10 hours on the paved road) or Terkhiin Tsagaan Nuur 'White Lake' (around 12 hours on the rough track via Shine-Ider) or Khövsgöl Nuur (around 2 hours on the paved road). In Ulaanbaatar catch the bus at the Dragon Bus Station. There are several large buses each day, usually 8am, 3pm, 5pm.
- Hitchhike or ride a bike, possibly paying a truck driver to take you
- Rent a jeep and driver from eg. Ulaanbaatar.
The town is small enough to walk around. There is a city bus. Many cars will act as taxis, wave down from side of road or look for car sitting with driver not doing much.
- Deerstone complex - 17km west of Moron. Deerstones are large 2 - 3m tall stones with deer and other images carved on the surface. From the Bronze age (1500BC).
- Monastery - Danzandarjaa Khiid - on the western edge of town, from 1890, rebuilt in 1990, well worth a 20 minute visit. Arrive in the morning around 10am for morning prayer. A small donation would help renovation work.
- Wrestling stadium - at eastern end of town
- Town Square - with monument to Davaadorj
Enjoy the 3G coverage of Mobicom in the city limits, or visit 50 100 Hotel for WiFi. WiFi also available at the Vally cafe, Edelwiess Hotel, Jargalan Restaurant, Main square, Chinggis Hotel.
- Black market, (Walk east down the main street, away from the 50° 100° Hotel and turn left (north) on the first large street and walk about 5 blocks. The market will be on your right). It's mostly the same stuff and if you've been to an Asian market (particularly the black market in UB) then there's no real need to go here, but it does have a whole range of food and supplies. It's mostly just a bunch of shipping crates which have been turned into store-fronts. At first it may seem really small, but keep walking and exploring and you'll realize it's actually quite a large market for a town that size. (49.647403,100.167490) edit
- Jargalan Pub (Jargalant Restaurant), Murun (400 meters west of 50 100 Hotel), ☎ 96389494,70384409. wkday 10:00 - 2400 (Weds 10:00 - 20:00) weekend 12:00 - 24:00. Dancing on the weekend call to check edit
- There are a cluster of supermarkets around the 50° 100° Hotel; the largest and the best is directly across the road from the Hotels car park in a newer building. It's worth trying all the supermarkets as some stock things the others haven't.
- 50° 100° Hotel - Popular and until 2400. Some unfortunately tiny but unique (for northern Mongolia) salads. Otherwise a variety of Mongolian (try the honey beef for 6000) and perhaps Western fare such as pizza and lasagne (although apparently empty promises as they're never available). Guests at the hotel do not need a reservation. Free decent WiFi. Unfortunately no Real Coffee for now, just instant coffee mix. Cross your fingers they buy an espresso machine to complete the cosiness. Cinnamon roll: Stock up for those long horse treks north.
- Jargalan Restaurant - further West (about 425 meters)from the 50° 100° Hotel on the same side of the road is the Jargalan Restaurant (look for the cyrillic sign) which, although looking shabby from the outside, is pristine inside with bilingual menus (Mongolian and English) including pictures. Offering Mongolian fusion cuisine including Kimchi Hurshuur and a variety of soups. ;Banquet hall seats 300, indoor restaurant seats 60, Out door seating for 40. plus 4 VIP rooms and 3 Karaoki rooms. WiFi. Dancing on the weekend. Tel: 96389494,70384409 .
- Shalom Bakery - Meals and sweet snacks. Go West from the 50 100 Hotel, Turn right past the Xac Bank. Next building on the right.
- If you look carefully in the glass cabinets that masquerade as refrigerators at the supermarkets early enough in the afternoon before the staff have managed to eat them all, there are small pizza-like objects (around 12cm in diameter) in plastic wrapping. Amazingly, they taste like pizza!
- Tenkhleg Hotel & Restaurant, Xovsgol,Moron, 8th Bag (North from the interesection of the Main Road in front of the Wrestling Place), ☎ +976 70382090. 11-9. See more info under sleep. Had great chicken filet (breast meat) grilled with pinapple, rice, cabbage salad about $5. Standard Mongolian meals. $10. edit
Dont forget Wednesdays are alcohol free. So stock up on Tuesday and drink at home.
- Muren Guesthouse (1 Dorm w/ 8 beds, 1 ger(yurt) w/ 3 beds, 2 rooms w/ 3 beds), 3-21-15 Murun, Khovsgul, Mongolia (From the crossroad in the center of town (50 100 Hotel on corner, go about 1.5 km North, past the Police Station. Look for the street number on the left (3p bag, 21. Turn left and the gates are numbered as 3-21-15. FACEBOOK Muren Guesthouse), ☎ +97699221837. edit
- Eco Darhad guest house helps you with transportaion,pick up service,translation,horsetrips,guides and informations. The guest house has apartment and Gers in the centre of the Muren city. with price 10-20$ p/p night.They organize all kind of trips in Khovsgol region corresponding to your needs.they has wifi and nice showers...call to 98607649 or 99963994 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 50° 100° Hotel - reputedly the best hotel in town. Delux double rooms with TV and immaculate bathroom featuring a hot shower for 30$, although possiblity of broken window panes. Situated on the central 'roundabout', N49° E100°. Wifi in the restaurant on 2nd floor, if you're lucky the pizza on the menu will be available. Otherwise the best cinnamon rolls outside of Sweden. Tlf: 99382345 and reserve ahead, it gets booked out in summer.
- Hotel Merci - Hotel, Cafe and Pub and in house Karaoke, what more could you need in Mörön?
- Moment Guest House, (Across from the 50° 100° Hotel on the side street). Centrally located with wifi and hot shower. The wifi is best closest to the street. There's another guesthouse upstairs which has a nicer shower but no wifi and costs the same price. 25$ person/night. edit
- Tenkhleg Hotel and restaurant, Xovsgol,Moron,8th Bag (North from the intersection on the Main road in front of the Wrestling Palce, 3rd builoding on West side.), ☎ +976 70382090, 94026090. Nice new hotel. Standard room w/2beds $40, to a Group room w/4beds $70. Garage, restaurant. Breakfast included. email: Sod_tenkhleg@yahoo.com. $40 - $70. (49 38.306N,100 9.907E) edit
- Edelweiss Hotel, 61 8th Street (South from the main square, left at the river), ☎ 99293896, . 20 Room Hotel and restaurant. All rooms have private bath with shower. Quiet location. 30-120000. (49 37 58N,100 09 24E) edit
During the busy season there are daily public buses to Ulaanbaatar at 1pm and 5pm, also 8am. The price is 32,000MNT. Tickets usually book up a day or two ahead of time, so plan accordingly. The bus station is across the street, just past the wrestling stadium (large circular complex with a blue roof and statues of Mongolian wrestlers out front). There are also lots of Russian vans at the bus station which can take you to various locations.