|Lynchburg is an independent city of 75,000 in the Commonwealth of Virginia. It lies east of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Central Virginia.
Downtown Lynchburg as seen from Monument Terrace.
Lynchburg, Virginia began in 1757 as a ferry town, fording traffic across the James River. The city is built on centuries of history, boasting strong connections to Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, and other early American patriots. Because of the city's use by the Confederacy as a supply and hospital center, it served as a battlefield in the American Civil War. Lynchburg has been designated a portion of Virginia's Rail Heritage Region. Lynchburg's historic districts contain many beautiful homes from the 19th century.
Lynchburg's name is derived from its founder, John Lynch, who, at the age of 17, began a ferry service across the James River to facilitate travel to and from New London. He would later be responsible for the bridge which would make his ferry service obsolete. Despite common misconceptions, neither John Lynch nor Lynchburg is associated with the origination of term, "lynching," though it may have originated with John's brother, Charles.
Geography and climate
Lynchburg's nickname, the "City of Seven Hills," is very descriptive of the geography of the city. Though it refers most directly to the hills near where the city was founded, these hills extend far beyond the riverfront at the James River. The area includes much of Candlers Mountain.
Spring in Lynchburg is short-lived, often it is simply a period of wide fluctuation between mid-late winter and early-mid summer temperatures. Summers are humid and hot with temperatures generally reaching 90°F. Autumns are mild; temperatures stay somewhere between 50°F and 70°F. Once winter hits, temperatures will top out near freezing until February and, perhaps, beyond. Recently, winters have brought lots of snow to the Lynchburg area, bringing a total average of around 16 inches of snow per year.
Generally, storms will pass through over the course of a few hours, but rain systems without lightning and thunder will stick in Lynchburg for days at a time, lending to the nickname "Drenchburg." When there is wind in Lynchburg, it tends to be a very high wind. Unlike nearby areas, the warmest part of the day in this part of Virginia is generally 5PM.
- Lynchburg Visitors Center, 216 12th Street, ☎ +1 434 847-1811, . Daily, 9AM-5PM. edit
Lynchburg currently does not have direct interstate access. Instead, you can get to Lynchburg by one of three major U.S. Routes: U.S. 29 North and South, U.S. 460 East and West, and U.S. 501 North and South. U.S. 501, however, is generally only convenient for travel from the immediate northwest and southeast.
U.S. 29 merges with U.S. 460 at a three-way junction. When traveling to Lynchburg via U.S. 29S, a right exit is required to continue along U.S. 29S / U.S. 460W.
Drivers arriving in Lynchburg should be wary of exiting onto Candlers Mountain Rd in particular. The timing of the first two intersections off U.S. 460 tend to trap drivers at the first intersection at Mayflower Dr.
Lynchburg Regional Airport (IATA: LYH)  is just south of the city limits alongside U.S. 29. Piedmont Airlines operates a US Airways Express regional flight between Lynchburg Regional Airport and Charlotte Douglas International Airport, NC. These flights operate on a schedule of approximately one plane arriving and departing every two hours. The airport offers a café with free wireless access.
Kemper Street Station in Lynchburg is a stop on two Amtrak-operated passenger services: The Crescent Line and the Northeast Regional. The Crescent runs through Lynchburg on its way between New York City and New Orleans. For the Northeast Regional, Lynchburg serves as one of two southern terminals. The train continues from Lynchburg toward either Boston or Springfield, MA.
Driving is perhaps the most convenient way to get around Lynchburg. Apart from the Downtown area, most of the city is not very friendly to pedestrian traffic.
The Lynchburg Expressway connects most of the major roadways in Lynchburg, intersecting and merging with the business segments of U.S. 29, U.S. 460, and U.S. 501.
The city limits are very clearly marked and are drawn in such a way that some places within the city are inaccessible without first traveling outside the city. For instance, the planned community at Wyndhurst can only be accessed via Enterprise Dr, which terminates in two different counties.
Also note that a few major roads change names with no clear indication as to where these changes take place. For examples, Lakeside Dr becomes Forest Rd, Fort Ave becomes Timberlake Rd, and Memorial Ave becomes Fifth St.
Several lots and limited on-street parking are available in Downtown Lynchburg. Two lots, the Midtown and Clay Street Parking Decks, are metered, operating on the mPARK system used in several other cities in the United States and abroad.
During the afternoon rush hour (4:45PM - 5:45PM), Candlers Mountain Rd, Wards Rd, and Timberlake Rd experience significantly increased traffic.
Several dispatch taxi services operate in Lynchburg.
- City Cab Company, 413 Jackson St, ☎ +1 434 846-0231. edit
- Allied Cabs, 2109 12th St, ☎ +1 434 845-7039. edit
- Gray Top Cab Incorporated, 1107 12th St, ☎ +1 434 845-4554. edit
- Hill City Cab, 200 Oakley Ave, ☎ +1 434 845-8554. edit
Greater Lynchburg Transit Company (GLTC)  offers bus services to the area. Single-direction trips are $1.50, and day and multi-day passes are available. Most routes run though the Plaza Shopping Center as a central hub and transfer point. Because of this layout, however, travel from some points in the city to others may take in excess of an hour in spite of being only a few miles away. GLTC also operates intracampus bus services to Liberty University. This service is free to students, faculty, and visitors.
One of several buildings in the Old City Cemetery.
- Daura Gallery, 1501 Lakeside Dr (In the Dillard Fine Arts Center at Lynchburg College), ☎ +1 434 544-8343. M-F 9AM-4PM, Su 1-4PM (one Sunday a month). Open during the college academic year only. Free, donations encouraged. (37.39759166666666,-79.182275) edit
- Maier Museum of Art, 1 Quinlan St (On the campus of Randolph College), ☎ +1 434 947-8136. T-Su 1PM-5pm. Free, donations encouraged. (37.439178,-79.170062) edit
- Sandusky, 757 Sandusky Dr, ☎ +1 434 832-0162 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1 434 832-0182), . This historic house served as the Union Headquarters during the Civil War Battle of Lynchburg. Sandusky is open by appointment. Adults $5, Seniors $3, Students $2. (37.380187,-79.196337) edit
- Point of Honor, 112 Cabell St. M–Sa 10AM-4PM, Su noon-4PM. Adults $6, Seniors $5, College Student $4, Children 6-17 $3, Children under 6 Free. (37.420542,-79.143872) edit
- Monument Terrace, 9th St and Church St. Commemorates Lynchburg citizens who fought and died in the Civil War, Spanish American War, World Wars I and II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. A 139-step staircase, the terrace's base is at the intersection of 9th and Church Streets and ends at Court Street in front of the Lynchburg Museum. (37.414089,-79.143660) edit
- Old City Cemetery, 401 Taylor St, ☎ +1 434 847-1465 (email@example.com, fax: +1 434 856-2004), . Daily dawn-dusk. The oldest continuously-operated public cemetery in Virginia, museums on-site give a glimpse into rituals of mourning over the centuries. There is also a reconstructed C&O railroad station and a small medical museum. Free, Guided tours by appointment $5/adult $2/child. (37.413869,-79.155121) edit
- Lynchburg Museum, 901 Court St, ☎ +1 434 455-6226. In the former Lynchburg court house. Parking is available in the Clay Parking Deck immediately behind the building. Adults $6, Seniors $5, College Student $4, Children 6-17 $3, Children under 6 Free. (37.413751,-79.144269) edit
- Miller Park, 2100 Park Ave. 37 acre park includes a pool and a beautiful historic aviary, now used as a banquet hall. (37.40399,-79.16228) edit
- Riverside Park, 2270 Rivermont Ave. 47 acre park includes the Sprayground, an outdoor water playground. (37.437482,-79.163208) edit
- Peaks View Park, 199 Ivy Creek Ln. 250 acre park includes may trails, sports fields, a frisbee golf course, and picnic facilities. (37.41966,-79.22945) edit
Lynchburg's hills make the city great for hiking and recreational biking. Percival's Island Trail, which connects with the Blackwater Creek Trail, forms a 13.5 mile paved trail that travels through Lynchburg. The trail can be accessed at three major points off Washington St, Jefferson St, and Langhorne Rd. The trail follows both the James River and the Blackwater Creek. Off of the trail there are several hiking and mountain biking opportunities. Liberty University also maintains a mountain biking and hiking trail on Candlers Mountain.
Lynchburg hosts a minor-league professional baseball team as well as colleges with active athletics departments.
- Bikes Unlimited, 1312 Jefferson St, ☎ +1 434 385-4157. M-F 10AM-7PM, Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 1PM-4PM. Offers bicycle sales, repair, and rentals. Near the connection between the Blackwater Creek Bikeway and RiverWalk trails. (37.411955,-79.136828) edit
- Liberty Mountain Snowflex Centre, 4000 Candlers Mountain Rd, ☎ +1 866 504-7541 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . M-Th Noon-Midnight, F Noon-1:00AM, Sa 10AM-1AM, Su 1PM-Midnight. This year-round ski resort is made possible with an artificial terrain technology that makes the resort the first of its kind in the United States. $5/non-peak hour, $7/peak hour, $12 ski/board rentals, $5 tube rental. (37.352608,-79.166737) edit
- LaHaye Ice Center, 1971 University Blvd (Directly across from Extended Stay America at 1910 University Blvd), ☎ +1 434 592-3953 (email@example.com, fax: +1 434 522-0549), . M-F 11:30AM-1:30PM; F-Sa 7PM-9PM, Su 1PM-3PM. Open year round, hours subject to change for summer. $5 Admission, $3 Rental. (37.356189,-79.172657) edit
- Lynchburg Hillcats Baseball, 3180 Fort Ave, ☎ +1 434 528-1144 (fax: +1 434 846-0768), . Class A Advanced affiliate to the Atlanta Braves. Free parking for all games behind the stadium. (37.392149,-79.165512) edit
- Liberty Flames Athletics, 1971 University Blvd (Box office is in the Vines Center), ☎ +1 434 582-7328 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . NCAA Division I (FCS football), Big South Conference. (37.348844,-79.180360) edit
- Lynchburg Hornets Athletics, 1501 Lakeside Dr, ☎ +1 434 544-8286 (fax: +1 434 544-8365), . NCAA Division III, Old Dominion Athletic Conference edit
- Randolph WildCat Athletics, 2500 Rivermont Ave, ☎ +1 434 947-8536 (fax: +1 434 947-8859), . NCAA Division III, Old Dominion Athletic Conference edit
- Renaissance Theatre, 1022 Commerce St, ☎ +1 434 845-4427 (RTC@rtc-lynchburg.info), . (37.413871,-79.139999) edit
- Liberty University Tower Theater, 1971 University Blvd (Inside Campus North beside the Tilley Student Union), ☎ +1 434 582-7328, . Adults $12, Seniors $10, Students $7. (37.35826,-79.17341) edit
- Lynchburg College Theater, ☎ +1 434 544-8380 (email@example.com), . Adults $10, Seniors $8, Students $5. edit
- Randolph College Theater, 2500 Rivermont Ave, ☎ +1 434 947-8562 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Adults $12, Seniors $7, Students $5. edit
- Regal Cinemas River Ridge Stadium 14, 3411 Candlers Mountain Rd (Inside the River Ridge Mall), ☎ +1 800 326-3264. This theater is brand-new to the mall, and is accessible through the mall. Premium 3D showings. $8-10. (37.36398,-79.17893) edit
- Cinemark Movies 10, 3700 Candlers Mountain Rd (Inside the Candlers Mountain Shopping Center), ☎ +1 800 326-3264 ext. 1190. Commonly known as the "Dollar Theater," this theater shows second-run films at a discounted price. Premium 3D showings. $1.00 - $2.00. (37.358916,-79.168875) edit
- Blue Ridge Summer Theatre Festival (Sweet Briar College), 134 Chapel Road Sweet Briar, VA 24595, ☎ +1 434 826-0391, . Put on annually by Endstation Theatre Company, resident theatre company of Sweet Briar College. Features outdoor theatre. Adults $15-22, Students $7-15. edit
- Givens Books and Little Dickens, 2236 Lakeside Dr, ☎ +1 434 385-5027 (fax: +1 434 385-6382), . M-F 8AM-9PM, Sa 9AM-7PM, Oct-Dec Sa 9AM-9PM. Independently-owned bookstore also serving as a teacher supply, toy store, and café. Sells new, used, and antique books. (37.39955,-79.21109) edit
- Outdoor Trails, 4925 Boonsboro Rd #2, ☎ +1 434 386-4302 (email@example.com, fax: +1 434 386-4306), . M-F 10AM-8PM, Sa 10AM-6PM. Wide selection of quality camping, hiking, and other sporting goods. Prepare to be greeted by two well-behaved dogs, both good with children. (37.446322,-79.219460) edit
- Easter Island, 5505 White Oak Dr (Behind Long John Silver's on Wards Rd), ☎ +1 434 237-4700 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . M-Sa 10AM-7PM, Su 1PM-5PM. Quirky shop with locally-crafted jewelry, a wide selection of incense, clothing, unusual musical instruments, and much more. (37.373966,-79.185923) edit
- La Carreta Mexican, . M-F 11AM-2:30PM & 5PM-11PM, Sa noon-10PM, Su noon-2:30PM & 5PM-9PM. Authentic Mexican restaurant with several locations in the area. $7-11. edit
- 2245 Langhorne Rd, ☎ +1 434 528-6800. (37.411931,-79.172754)
- 8004 Timberlake Rd, ☎ +1 434 239-9701. (37.349873,-79.229423)
- 120 Simons Run, ☎ +1 434 237-4009. (37.342309,-79.190537)
- Texas Inn, 422 Main St, ☎ +1 434 846-3823. M-Sa, 24 hours, closed Christmas. (37.418351,-79.145155) edit
- King's Island Restaurant, 2804 Old Forest Road, ☎ +1 434 384-0066 (email@example.com, fax: +1 434 384-0068), . Voted best Chinese year after year. (37.41615,-79.20393) edit
- WaterStone Pizza. M-Th 11AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-11PM, Su noon-10PM. $10-15. (37.412029,-79.137206) edit
- Sakura, 6113 Fort Ave, ☎ +1 434 237-3900. M-Th 11AM-9:30PM, F 11AM-10:30PM, Sa 2PM-10:30PM. Low-key Japanese restaurant. Not a dinner-and-show restaurant, but great food. (37.370390,-79.197380) edit
- Depot Grille. M-Th 11AM-10PM, F-Sa 11AM-11PM, Su 11AM-9PM. (37.415672,-79.139282) edit
- Bull Branch (NOW CLOSED), 109 11th St, ☎ +1 434 847-8477. M-Tu 8PM-1AM, W 6PM-1AM, Th-Sa 6PM-2AM, Su 8PM-midnight. (37.413361,-79.140594) edit
- Koto, 2160 Wards Rd, ☎ +1 434 237-9134. Teppanyaki-style Japanese steakhouse with sushi bar. Offers free dinner meals for birthdays (dine-in only, show ID for verification). (37.371822,-79.183641) edit
- Shoemakers American Grille, 1312 Commerce St, ☎ +1 434 455-1510 (fax: +1 434 455-1511), . M-F 11AM-2:30PM & 4:30PM-10PM, Sa 4:30PM-10PM. Offers private rooms and extensive wine selection. $12-40. (37.411707,-79.137391) edit
- Inklings Bookshop & The White Hart, 1208 Main Street, ☎ +1 434 455-1659 (Inklings@ntelos.net), . M-Sa 7:30AM-10PM. (37.412165,-79.139812) edit
- The Drowsey Poet, 3700 Candlers Mountain Rd (In the Candlers Mountain Shopping Center), ☎ +1 434 845-8800. M-Th 7AM-11PM, F 7AM-midnight, Sa 9AM-midnight, Su noon-10PM. (37.361388,-79.168327) edit
- The Muse Coffee Company, ☎ +1 434 237-8878, . Local coffee roaster. edit
- The Muse Coffee Company, 1509 Enterprise Dr. M-W 7AM–10PM, Th–Fr 7AM–11PM, Sa 8AM–11PM. (37.357880,-79.240748) edit
- The Muse Eight-Thirty Club, 1415 Kemper St. W 4PM–9PM, Th 4PM–9PM, F 4PM–11PM. (37.402707,-79.153589) edit
- Phase2 Dining & Entertainment Club, 4009 Murray Place, ☎ +1 434 846-3206, . (37.382722,-79.167765) edit
- The Residence Bed & Breakfast, 2460 Rivermont Ave, ☎ +1 888 835-0387, . (37.43538,-79.16949) edit
- Federal Crest Inn, 1101 Federal St, ☎ +1 800 818-6155, . checkin: 3PM-6PM; checkout: 11AM. $165-245. (37.409774,-79.146523) edit
- Norvell-Otey House, 1020 Federal St, ☎ +1 877 320-1020 (fax: +1 434 528-1188). $169-199. (37.410423,-79.146388) edit
- Craddock Terry Hotel, 1312 Commerce St, ☎ +1 434 455-1500, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: Noon. On the waterfront of the James River a few hundred feet off of Main St. $169-209. (37.411497,-79.137452) edit
- Kirkley Hotel and Conference Center, 2900 Candlers Mountain Road, ☎ +1 866 510-6333 (fax: +1 434 237-4277), . $83-360. (37.370164,-79.179102) edit
- Hilton Garden Inn, 4025 Wards Rd, ☎ +1 434 239-3006 (fax: +1 434 239-3007), . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11PM. $103-169. (37.344976,-79.187361) edit
- Wingate by Wyndham, 3777 Candlers Mountain Rd, ☎ +1 434 845-1700 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1 434 845-1800), . (37.353590,-79.170224) edit
- Holiday Inn, 601 Main St, ☎ +1 434 528-2500 (email@example.com, fax: +1 434 528-0062), . checkin: 3PM; checkout: Noon. $90-150. (37.416923,-79.144454) edit
- Extended Stay America, 1910 University Blvd, ☎ +1 434 239-8863 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. $67-77. (37.356503,-79.170997) edit
- Hampton Inn, 3600 Liberty Mountain Dr, ☎ +1 434 608 1224, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 12PM. ==Stay safe== For emergencies occurring on the campus of Liberty University, call the Liberty University Police Department, ☎ +1 434 592-3911. edit ==Get out==
* Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest, 1542 Bateman Bridge Rd, Forest, VA 24551 (Avoid the bridge on Bateman Bridge by taking Thomas Jefferson Rd), ☎ +1 434 525-1806 (fax: +1 434 525-7252), . Daily 10AM-4PM. Open from Mar 15 to Dec 15. $14 (). (37.348175,-79.264550) edit * National D-Day Memorial, 3 Overlord Circle, Bedford, VA 24523, . Tu-Su 10AM-5PM. $7. (37.330080,-79.536011) edit * Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, VA 24, Appomattox, VA 24522 (From U.S. 460, take 24E to U.S. 60), ☎ +1 434 352-8987 ext 26 (fax: +1 434 352-8330), . Site of the surrender of the Confederate States of America. Reduced fees after Labor Day and before Memorial Day. (37.37747,-78.79619) edit * Peaks of Otter Visitor Center, 85919 Blue Ridge Parkway, Bedford, VA 24523, ☎ +1 540 586-4496. Base for two popular mountain hikes. (37.44557,-79.60988) edit * Crabtree Falls, 11581 Crabtree Falls Hwy, Rt 56, Montebello, VA 24464. Crabtree Falls is the highest vertical-drop cascading waterfall east of the Mississippi River. Viewing area at the base is handicap accessible. Free. (37.85080,-79.07910) edit * Natural Bridge, 15 Appledore Lane, Natural Bridge, VA 24578, ☎ +1 800 533-1410 (email@example.com, fax: +1 540 291-1551), . Tickets for cavern and other Natural Bridge attractions are available separately or as a package. (37.62980,-79.54416) edit
The Overlord Arch at the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!