Locarno is in Switzerland.
Lake Maggiore, as seen from Locarno
From the east, take highway A2 Basel to Chiasso, exit at Bellinzona South, direction Locarno. After the Magadino airport, take the A13 highway,direction Locarno. After the tunnel, the first exit will bring you in the center of Locarno. Parking available in the new Piazza Castello parking.
From the west, take the road coasting the lake Maggiore, from Verbania trough Cannobio and the Brissago customs. Then take the A13 highway, direction Locarno. An alternative, from Simplon and Domodossola, is the Valle Vigezzo and Centovalli road, direction Locarno.
Regular trains link Locarno directly with Zurich, Basel, Lucerne, Milan and Bellinzona. The Centovallina train line connects Locarno and the Simplon line (from Geneva or Bern).
Lugano airport. Then take the bus to Lugano and the train to Locarno.
If you land at Milan Malpensa, take the Giosy Tour shuttle bus to Bellinzona. From there the train to Locarno.
If you land at Milan Linate, take a shuttle to Milano Centrale train station. From there a train to Locarno.
Bike rental can be found at the train station (Piazza Stazione, Tel. +41 91 7436564). Rental fee: CHF30/day (8AM-7PM).
Most Of the city of Locarno can be explored on foot. The Main Square Piazza Grande is walking distance from Main Railway station. Old Town of Locarno is behind Piazza Grande.
Ticino Discovery card
With this card you get access to all major touristic attractions in Ticino canton including unlimited travel on Public transport, Cable cars, Furniculars and Museums. Price of the card is 87 CHF. People holding Swiss GA Travel card or Half fare card get 10 CHF discount. Card is valid for 3 days. A real good deal to discover Ticino and is available at mjor Hotels, hostels, Train station and Tourist Office. [ http://www.cartaturisticaticino.ch]
- Piazza Grande. It is the heart of the city center and also the major shopping area. In summer it hosts a few major events, such as the Moon&Stars open air concerts, the world famous International Film Festival and, during the winter, Locarno On Ice.
- Città Vecchia. The charming old town with it's narrow cobblestone streets, small shops, restaurants, cafés, beautiful old buildings and churches.
- Santuario della Madonna del Sasso, one of the main landmarks of Locarno, this church and franciscan monastery is built on top of a rock and offers a beautiful view over the region.
- Castello Visconteo, a castle, which today serves as Municipal and Archeological Museum together with the adjacent Casorella.
- The Casa Rusca Gallery hosts mainly contemporary art exhibitions in a beautiful ancient venue next to the main church of Saint Anthony.
- Valle Verzasca, a spectacular valley with astoundingly turquoise water and amazing rock formations. The main points of interest are the James Bond Golden eye bungee jump from the dam at the entrance of the valley and the bathing area at the ancient Lavertezzo stone bridge.
- Ghisla Art Collection, Via Ciseri 3, . 2pm-6pm. A very interesting and rich international contemporary art collection. The building, a big red cube near Piazza Grande, can't be missed. edit
- La Rada, contemporary art center
- Il Rivellino, contemporary art gallery located right next to what is supposed to be Leonardo da Vinci's ravelin
- Walk the Lake Maggiore promenade
- Take boat trips on Lake Maggiore 
- Ride the Funicular Take the funicular railway up to the old monastery and cable car station, from where you can take the cable car to approx 1,600m above the town, or walk back down into the town via the monastery and a stone pathway, approx 30 minute walk down.
- Moon and Stars Music Festival  in July attracts international acts.
- Locarno International Film Festival (Festival del Film internazionale)  in the first two weeks of August on Piazza Grande, biggest open air screen in Europe. In 2014, it took place between Aug. 6 and 16.
- Falconeria Locarno An interesting show of Birds like Peregrine Falcon, American Eagle, White Owls and Vultures. Check the show timing before reaching the place. 
- La Cambusa, theater and theater company in Minusio with a contemporary style program
- Paravento, theather and theater company, mainly with a commedia dell'arte style program
Most of shopping areas are located on the arcades of Piazza Grande or in the Old Town.
You can find out very interesting boutiques, sport shop, handmade jewels and many kinds of particular store offering specialities in old town of Locarno.
- Albergo ristorante Cittadella (old town)- fish specialties and pizza
- Osteria Borghese (old town)- home made style
- Pizzeria Primavera (old town) - pizza, ice cream
- Ristorante Universo - pizza, pasta, ...
- Ristorante Vallemaggia (old town) - original, good quality/price ratio, operated by a foundation for the disabled
- Govinda (old town) - indian vegetarian (hare krisna cuisine)
- Marnin (old town) - pastry, breakfast / tea time
- Il Guardiano del Farro (old town) - original vegetarian/vegan cuisine, but not only
- Negromante (old town) - bar/restaurant with a small selection of food, mainly gourmet home-made burgers
- Lungolago (on the lakeside) - bar/restaurant/pizzeria with view on the lake
- Bottegone (Piazza Grande) - Italian
- Angelo (Piazza Grande) - pizza (cheaper than elsewhere for a decent quality)
- Bar Sport (free entry, lounge bar)
- Bar Castello (free entry)
- Bar Pardo (free entry)
- Mono Bar (free entry)
- Selz (open during the day and until early evening)
- Bartolomeo (old town, free entry)
- Negromante (old town, free entry, located in Locarno's oldest non-public building)
- Caffè Borgo (old town, free entry)
- Vanilla Club (disco in Riazzino, expensive, good house music)
- Hotel Casa DaVinci, Via Bartolomeo Rusca 6 (in the old town of Locarno), ☎ +41 91 751 30 64 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Are you looking for a small, cosy hotel in the hearth of the Old Town of Locarno? Here it is: only a stone’s throw away from the Piazza Grande you will find in a beautiful historical building the Hotel Casa DaVinci. From double rooms to 6 bed flats, well suited for families. Lift, free WLAN, bike rental outlet are all there. Everybody will find his right mix of espresso – hiking – joy of life – reading – walking - ... edit
- YHA Locarno, Palagiovani, Via Varenna 18 (15 minutes walk from the central station), ☎ +41 91 756 15 00. Budget travellers hostel, single and multi person rooms, clean and modern. many families as well as younger travellers were staying edit
- Ramada Hotel Arcadia, Lungolago G. Motta, ☎ +41 91 756 18 18, . This hotel offers children's programs edit
- Hotel du Lac, Via Ramogna 3 (Near the shore of Lake Maggiore), . edit
- Hotel Dell'angelo, Piazza Grande (Located in main square of Locarno). Great location, although some travellers complain of the noise at night edit
- Hotel Gottardo Garni, Via San Gottardo 18. checkin: http://www.hotel-gottardo.ch/. edit
- Garni Fiorentina, Via St.Antonio 10 (Close to the main square, Piazza Grande), . edit
- Castello Schloss-Hotel, Via B. Rusca 9 / S. Francesco 7a, . (min. 3 nights). edit
- Villa India, Via ai Monti 62, ☎ +41 91 751 32 73. Hotel closed and for sale edit
- Pensione Olanda, Via ai Monti 139a, . Charming bed-and-breakfast-style pensione; beautiful breakfast terrace with views of Locarno and the lake; wonderful innkeeper Irmgard Balbina, very helpful. edit
- Kon Tiki B&B, Via Fiorina 1 (Two minutes walk from Piazza Grande), ☎ +41 79 325 55 46 (email@example.com), . 49CHF per person. edit
- Hotel Alexandra, Via San Gottardo 43 (In the neighboring suburb of Muralto a few minutes walk from Locarno station), ☎ +41 91 743 25 23 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 150 CHF for a room without shower. edit
- Campsite Lago Maggiore, Via Lido 4 (In the neighboring village of Tenero), ☎ +41 91 745 18 48 (email@example.com), . Family-friendly campsite at the shore of Lake Maggiore. Reservation possible edit
- Mirafiori, Via al Parco 25 , CH-6644, (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +41 (0)91 743 77 39). The three star superior hotel is a member of Swiss Quality Hotels International. Small, romantic and charming, located on the south hill of Locarno, 2km from the city center and from the railway station. Double room from 240CHF (season of april 2009).
www.mirafiori.ch www.SwissQualityHotels.com edit
- CITTÀ VECCHIA LOCARNO (old side of locarno), Città Vecchia Locarno, . The right web site portal where you can find many informations about the old side of locarno city base in south Switzerland. Hotel, restaurant, boutique and many more. edit