Libertyville is a village and township in Lake County, Illinois, part of the Chicagoland region.
Libertyville is on the Milwaukee District North Line of the Metra commuter rail system--the Chicago-to-Fox-Lake route. The train ride to or from Chicago takes a little more than an hour.
By car, Libertyville can be reached from the Rockland Road and Buckley Road exits off of I-94. It's about 45 minutes from Chicago and about an hour from Milwaukee.
Compared to other suburban towns of similar size, Libertyville is fairly well-served by public transportation.
- Adlai Stevenson Center on Democracy, 2500 N. St. Mary's Rd., . A nonpartisan organization dedicated to promoting democracy housed in the historic home of former Illinois governor and two-time presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson.
- David Adler Music and Arts Center, 1700 N. Milwaukee Ave. (south of Buckley Rd.), ☎ 847-367-0707, . This performance and educational center is on the former estate of noted architect David Adler, who lived in and extensively redesigned an 1864 farmhouse that has been preserved much as it was at Adler's death in 1949.
- Lloyd Lewis House, 153 Little St. Mary's Road (near the DesPlaines River). A Frank Lloyd Wright house designed in 1939 for the editor of the Chicago Daily News.
- St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Monastery, 32377 N. Milwaukee Ave (north of Buckley Road/Route 137), ☎ 847-367-0698, . The cemetery of this religious institution (which also includes the St. Sava School of Theology) is the resting place of King Peter II of Serbia, the only European monarch to be buried in U.S. soil.
- Libertyville High School, 708 W. Park Ave., ☎ 847-327-7000, . The town's high school was the alma mater for many of the alt rock figures who emerged improbably from Libertyville's non-scene, notably Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine and Adam Jones of Tool.
- Libertyville Golf Course, 870 Country Club Drive, ☎ 847-362-5733, . A challenging nine-hole course run by the village's parks department. $15 for non-resident adults.
- Libertyville Sports & Fitness Complex, 1950 N. Highway 45, ☎ 847-367-1502, . Athletic center featuring basketball/volleyball courts, indoor soccer fields and a 28-foot "climbing mountain."
- Liberty Theater, 708 N. Milwaukee Ave., ☎ 847-362-3011. This cinema, built in 1937 with a striking Art Moderne marquee but unfortunately remodeled and twinned since then, has a claim to movie history: It employed a young Marlon Brando as an usher. 
Libertyville is well-known for car shopping; many Chicagolanders who know nothing else about the town can tell you that it's "a beautiful place in the country," thanks to a car dealer's long-running jingle.
Most of the dealerships are found in a long strip along Milwaukee Avenue, including Liberty Nissan (920 S. Milwaukee Ave.; 847-680-8000), Libertyville Lincoln Mercury (941 S. Milwaukee Ave.; 847-367-1700), Bernard Chevrolet (1001 S. Milwaukee Ave.; 847-362-1400), Sessler Ford (1010 S. Milwaukee Ave.; 847-362-4550), Weil Cadillac Hummer (1050 S. Milwaukee Ave.; 866-406-5042), Pauly Honda (1111 S. Milwaukee Ave.; 847-362-4300), Libertyville Mitsubishi (1119 S. Milwaukee Ave.; 847-816-6660), Sullivan Pontiac Buick GMC (1120 S. Milwaukee Ave.; 847-680-5000), Fields Infiniti Of Lake County (1121 S. Milwaukee Ave.; 866-532-7853), Saturn of Libertyville (1160 S. Milwaukee Ave.; 847-362-6600) and Libertyville Toyota (1180 S. Milwaukee Ave.; 847-362-1500). Somewhat off the main strip are Miller Krueger (119 N. Milwaukee Ave.; 847-362-3800), Acura of Libertyville (1620 S. Milwaukee Ave.; 847-680-7333) and Liberty Auto Center (1000 E. Park Ave.; 800-208-5694).
Other notable shops include:
- Libertyville Saddle Shop, 306 Peterson Rd. (west of Milwaukee Ave.), ☎ 847-362-0570, . 9:00 pm to 5:30 pm (Sunday 10-4). Has one of the largest selection of riding-related gear in the Midwest.
- Cafe Pyrenees, 1762 N Milwaukee Ave, ☎ 847-362-2233, . High-quality French.
- Firkin, 515 N Milwaukee Ave, ☎ 847-367-6168.
- Mickey Finn's, 412 N Milwaukee Ave, ☎ 847-362-6688. Long-running brew pub; a local hangout.
- Slotts Hots, 1124 N. Milwaukee Ave., ☎ 847-362-0670. A well-regarded hot dog joint; an after-school destination for a couple of generations now.
- The Tavern, 519 N Milwaukee Ave, ☎ 847-367-5755. Fancy steak place.
- Wildberry Pancakes and Cafe, 1783 N Milwaukee Ave, ☎ 847-247-7777. Popular brunch spot.
- Downing's, 431 S. Milwaukee Ave, ☎ 847-362-4020. Neighborhood bar with a youngish crowd; the owners are siblings who bought the place with the proceeds from a winning lottery ticket.
- Candlewood Suites Chicago Libertyville, 1100 N. US Highway 45 (at Winchester Rd.), ☎ 800-980-6421. Somewhat off the beaten path.
- Days Inn Libertyville, 1809 N Milwaukee Ave, ☎ 847-816-8006. Formerly the Hitch Inn Post. Cheaper than other options. Some scary reviews online.
- Holiday Inn Express Chicago-Libertyville, 77 West Buckley Road (at the corner of Milwaukee Ave.), ☎ 847-549-7878. At the north end of town.
Libertyville is convenient to Lake Forest, Waukegan, and the Six Flags Great America amusement park in Gurnee.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!