Liberal is a town in the Western region of Kansas.
Liberal is located in the heart of the Great Plains with a trading area covering the corners of five states: Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico and Kansas. It was named for the early day settlers who were "liberal" with the scarce supply of water. The City is positioned at the crossroads of U.S. Highway 54 and U.S. Highway 83. The Liberal Mid-America Regional Airport is located within the city limits of Liberal and serves commercial, freight and private aircraft traffic.
Liberal is served (current as of 12/2007) by United Express/Skywest from Denver (airport code "LBL"), or by Amtrak to Dodge City or Garden City (about one hour away) and driving. There is currently no Greyhound Bus service.
- Mid-America Air Museum, 2000 W. Second Street, Phone: (620)624-5263. Fax: (620)624-5454, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, . Fifth-largest air museum in America. Contains over 100 aircraft from World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War, as well as helicopters and general aviation aircraft.
- Seward County Museum, 587 E. Cedar, . Features the Coronado Museum, Dorothy's House, Land of Oz and Riverside School. The Coronado Museum is housed in the magnificent old Larabee home built in 1918 that was moved in 1961 from it's original location (be sure to see the pictures of the move!). The rooms of the house feature general and local southwestern Kansas history, Native American History relevant to the area and many displays of 'old-time' equipment ranging from farm implements to doctor's utensils to a post office window. On the museum grounds are found native tamarack, sand hill plums, cottonwood trees and wild roses in addition to the famous 'Yellow Brick Road'. Ask to see the cement pancakes created by LeRoy Chance for the Pancake Day race, which were originally located at the start of the race, in front of the Liberal Public Library. They are currently stored in the barn out back along with other larger pieces of farm equipment and an entire turn-of-the-century homestead shack.
- Pancake Day  In Liberal the day before Lent (Shrove Tuesday) means Pancake Day! It is a friendly competition between Liberal, Kansas, and Olney, England, with women running down the streets of each town flipping pancakes. It is still the only race of its kind, which also includes besides the main race, smaller races for children of various ages and many other activities.
- Bazaar Day, . Bazaar Day occurs annually on the third Thursday in July. Local businesses offer discounts of up to 75% off, and some open at 6AM. The streets are blocked off for customers and pedestrians.
- Chili Cook-Off, . Occurs every year in September, and in addition to the cooking contest, it features a carnival. Tasting kits available for anyone who wishes to sample the entries.
- OZFest Liberal hosts an annual celebration of the "Wizard of Oz" to accompany it's year-round "Dorothy's House Museum". In October, the original Munchkin actors, along with tourists and visitors, come together for arts and crafts, a parade, and even a special event for dogs (remember Toto!) But hurry, there aren't many of the original Munchkins left. "OZFest in Liberal"
- Bisteca Steakhouse (Bisteca), 2324 N Kansas Ave, Liberal, KS 67901 (On US 83, 1/2 mile south of US 83 bypass on north side of Liberal), ☎ 620-624-5255, . 7 days a week, 11am - 10 pm daily , open until 11pm on Friday and Saturday. Proudly serving National Beef, which is also located in Liberal. Opened April 10th, 2012. Full bar with largest beer and wine selection in town. edit
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 1550 N Lincoln Ave, ☎ +1 620 624-9700, . edit
- Super 8 Liberal Kansas Hotel, 747 E Pancake Blvd, Liberal, KS, 67901-4320 (Off of US 54, 1 mile west of US 83/54), ☎ 800-800-8000 / 620-624-8880, . Motel with complimentary breakfast 6AM-9AM, indoor pool and spa, and other in-room amenities. edit