Located just 15 km from Banda Aceh, you find the quiet beaches of Lhok Nga (sometimes pronounced Lhonga) and Lampuuk. These are perfect for those wanting to visit Banda Aceh, while avoiding the hustle and bustle of the big city.
Lhok Nga is said to offer the best surfing, and Lampuuk to have the best beaches for swimming and basking in the sun. However, as the two are 30 minutes walk apart, and it's hard to tell where one beach stops and the other starts, it doesn't make much difference where you opt to sleep.
Taxis will take you there from the airport for a fixed price of 120.000 Rp.
Local public transport from Banda Aceh center (labi labi) can be taken from Banda Aceh for 10.000 Rp (last departure at 17.00).
Motor bikes and bicycles are available for hire in the area. Just ask at your Losmen.
The Cement factory - in fact, you can't miss it. It's right on the beach.
- Surfing is the name of the game here. Take care when swimming, because the currents in this region tend to be very strong.
- Kiteboarding from May to October
- Golf The driving range is located in Lhok Nga.
- Take a walk in the lush forest up the cliffs near Lampuuk.
- Beaching Halfway between Lampuuk and Lhok Nga is a string of shaded, elevated sitting areas. Sort of like a porch without a house. Shops are abound selling cold drinks and food (fresh coconuts and grilled fish are a couple of favorites).
- Seabreeze Kite Club, Yudis Place, . This is a great place for beginners,intermediate and advanced riders. There is flat water for practicing freestyle and great waves by the reef. Lessons and taster sessions available for beginners and rental available for experienced riders edit
You won't go hungry in Lhok Nga. However, you won't find any fine dining either. The local food here is great and very cheap, and there are plenty Rumah Makan within short distance of the homestays. Additionally, it will be hard for you to stay long in a homestay without being invited to join your host for dinner.
- Nurmashomestay, (Jl Lap, Golf - Lhoknga -'). Indonesian, Aceh and Western Food.
- Harry's place, (Close to the river). It's actually not called Harry's place - it's just the name of the owner. Harry and his wife makes excellent coffee and banana pancakes for breakfast. 10.000. edit
- Rumah Makan, (Just before Harry's). 18.00 - 22.00. Popular with the locals this place (only open for dinner) serves wonderful Acehnese cuisine. The hosts don't speak much english, but that's ok. Just point to whatever you want, a calculator will show you the price (which is very reasonable). Drinking water is served complimentary, but do try their fresh Juices (6.000 Rs). 10.000 Rs. edit
- Dian Rana. Dian Rana has a restaurant with a western menu as well with slightly higher prices. edit
Alcohol is widely unavailable. However, both Joe's Bungalows and Dian Rana serve beer, wine or spirits at a price showing the fact that it's transported here from Medan.
- Yudisplace (email@example.com), Jalan Lapangan Golf, Lhoknga, Aceh, ☎ +628126942879, . Just a quick 500m walk from Yudi's Place, there are waves for all kinds of surfers. From perfect A-frame barrels on The Peak, to the rippale long left hander and even waves for those learning to surf on the beachies. Learn to surf at our home school or try your hand at Standup Paddle Boarding edit
- lhoknga riverside resort, km 14 banda aceh (meulaboh street), ☎ +628999189061, . Lhoknga riverside resort is located 15 km from Banda Aceh town and 30 from the international airport. The resort is on the edge of the river in the middle of 2,5 hectares of tropical garden and close to the beach./ 150 000 up to 500 000 rp. edit
- ninas homestay, jl.depan lapangan golf lhoknga , aceh besar , aceh (15 km from banda aceh), ☎ 082131243300, . ninas homestay is wooden achenese house for stay 300 meter from surfing spot and you can enjoy aceh from our house email:firstname.lastname@example.org wifi free, laundry. 80000-150000. edit
Lhok Nga attracts the budget backpackers and surfers during the season (December - March). Simple Losmen and homestays are plentiful here. Some of the places are only open in season, but don't worry, there will always be a place for you to stay. All accomodation is around Jl Golf close together. Shop around for the one that fits your style.
- Nurmashomestay, (Jl Lap, Golf - Lhoknga -').There is No Place Better, Homestay, Indonesian, Aceh and Western Food.
Room and dormitory accommodation in traditional Acehnese house 300m from Lampuuk Beach (3km from Lhoknga)on Jalan Pantai lampuuk - +6281388100887 or email@example.com
- Eddie Homestay, Jl. Golf - Lhoknga in front of Golf course - Banda Aceh - Aceh Province, (firstname.lastname@example.org). Eddie Homestay is run by the two brothers, Dani and Eddie. The rooms are big and the beds are comfortable, shared bathroom. Motorbike or surfboard rental Rp 60k. Shared kitchen with free tea and cheap water refills. Second closest homestay to the surf breaks after Yudi's. If you're really lucky, Eddie might be able to pick you up from Banda Aceh or the airport on his motorbike. Mobile phone# +62811688682, +6281360319126 or +6281360041350 or email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Both Dani and Eddie speak excellent English, and Eddie is very very friendly. 80k - 140k IDR. edit
- Mami Diana Homestay, ☎ 0821 31243300. Mami Diana will pick you up in the airport 100,000 IDR , motorbike rental,surfboard rental, food restaurant,laundry.room 50.000 IDR. edit
- (Yudi's) Darlian Homestay, . Offering a wide range of rooms, for different budgets and interests. They can organize to pick you up at the airport as well. For contact call these numbers: Eka: +62(0) 8136 139 1082 or Ulul: +62(0) 8526 069 4105. 80.000 IDR. edit
- Mitabu Homestay, ☎ +6281360267655 (email@example.com). 50.000 IDR. edit
- Joel's Bungalows, (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Joel's Bungalows were washed away in the Tsunami, so he built new ones high on the cliffside, protected from the sea. Surfboards are available for guests and there's a restaurant serving western food, as well. Try the Rp 60k woodfired pizzas. 150.000-300.000 IDR. edit
- Dian Rana. Another strip of Bungalows set in a lovely garden. Dian Rana also has a restaurant with a western menu. 250.000 IDR. edit
Minibuses to Meulaboh, Tapaktuan can be persuaded into stopping here on their way from Banda Aceh. Just ask your guesthouse to arrange it for you.