Lawang is a district in Malang Regency,East Java.
Lawang is a cool, mountainous district about 20 km north of Malang. It lies near the border of the Malang and Pasuruan regencies.
A bypass road connecting Lawang and a famous tourist town of Batu is reportedly being built.
Lawang is approximately half an hour to 45-minute drive from the Malang city or over 2 hours from Surabaya, the provincial capital.
- From Surabaya you can take a bus or minibus to Malang and vice versa. Drop off at Lawang. These transport vehicles pass through the town.
- There seem to be some public minivans that serve the Malang-Lawang route.
There are some local 'angkot's [public minivans] that get around this district. The district market on the main road is a major hub.
- Kebun Teh Wonosari, a government-owned tea plantation about 6 km west of the town centre. It also has a tea factory, flower garden and guest houses/cottages [see below].
- Visit the tea factory inside the plantation area, where tea processing is explained. This seems to require a special permit though.
- Learn how to make textiles and batiks at Wisata Tekstil [literally "textile tourism"] LaGross.
- Bakpao Telo [see below]. Purple sweet potato steamed buns available in a variety of fillings. Small round pastries called bakpia are also available.
- Bakpao Telo, a large establishment on both sides of the road, near the regency border. Specialises in purple and yellow sweet potato steamed buns [bakpao], cakes, sweets and even drinks [ice cream too!]. Also has a cafe/restaurant and snack minimarket in the same complex.
- There are some food courts right on the main road.
- Black sticky rice juice and purple sweet potato juice at Bakpao Telo
- ROLLAAS HOTEL&RESORT - WISATA AGRO WONOSARI, WONOSARI Tea Platation,Lawang, Malang, ☎ +62 341 426032 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +62 341 425123), . The best place for family, couple or backpackers with tea plantation environment. Rp. 200,000 to 1.650,000. edit
- Hotel Arjuno
- Hotel Niagara [a heritage hotel dated back to the Dutch colonial era]. Some say it is nice and of good value, others claim that it is scary and haunted. These claims are probably untrue, but visitors might try this hotel at their own risk.
- The city of Malang, about half an hour away
- The tourist town of Batu, also about half an hour away
- Purwodadi Botanical Garden [Kebun Raya Purwodadi], about 5-10 mins north [by car]