Laoag is the provincial capital of Ilocos Norte.
The Sinking Belltower in the evening
Laoag's name is said to come from an Ilocano word, “lawag,” meaning ‘light’. It makes sense, because Ilocos has a reputation for being the sunniest region in the Philippines, and Laoag is its urban capital.
- AirPhilExpress  from Manila. Flies daily
- Cebu Pacific Air  from Manila. Flies daily
- Philippine Airlines  from Manila. One flight every day of the week.
- Mandarin Airlines  from Kaohsiung. Flies Thursday and Sunday evening.
- Hong Kong Express Airways  from Hong Kong. Flies Thursday and Sunday evening.
The busses from Manila to Laoag take around 10 hours and offer different classes at different fares.
- Farinas - Station in Manila on Dapitan and Lacson
- Florida - Espana
- Partas - Baguio (Gov. Pack Road), Cubao-Aurora, Manila-Sampaloc and Pasay
- Philippine Rabbit - Baguio (Gov. Pack Road)
- Maria De Leon - Station near University of Santo Tomas, Dapitan and Lacson
Busses from Vigan take around two hours to reach Laoag.
Local busses from Pagudpud take around two hours to reach Laoag (P60).
- Calesa - Horse-drawn carriage
La Paz dunes in the morning
- La Tabacalera Ilocano Lifestyle Center, Gen. Luna corner Llanes Streets, Laoag City (Right next to the Ilocos Norte provincial capitol). This complex is home to two museums, and several restaurants. Being located right at the city center, next to the capitol, it is the perfect venue for a cultural and gastronomic stopover, especially for those who are only passing through Laoag on their way further north to Burgos or Pagudpud, or south towards Vigan. edit
- Museo Ilocos Norte, ☎ +63 (077) 770-4587. 9am to 5pm. Closed on Mondays. Museo Ilocos Norte is the older museum in the La Tabacalera compound. It is an extensive showcase of Ilocos Norte culture, having galleries on all aspects of Ilocano life, including the geography of the land, the tools and trades of its people, even its dwellings—there is a full-sized replica of a typical Ilocano ancestral house built inside the museum. The structure housing Museo Ilocos Norte is the former Tabacalera warehouse. The museum is also nicknamed gameng, an Iloko word meaning ‘treasure.’ Entrance: PhP 50. edit
- Taoid: A Museum of the Cordilleras in Ilocos Norte. Taoid is a modern museum dedicated to the culture of the people of Cordilleras, the Ilocanos' natural neighbors. The concept behind this museum, according to an article from the blog reversedelay.net, is attributed to renowned theater director Floy Quintos, and many of the artifacts on display are said to be from the collection of the provincial governor herself, Imee Marcos. edit
- Tobacco Monopoly. edit
- Sand Dunes, La Paz. The only desert in the Philippines. You can rent a 4x4 vehicle to drive up and down the dunes, or alternatively, you can walk away from the noise of the vehicles to appreciate the desert beauty. edit
- Sinking Belltower. - named so because it slowly sinks into the soft soil of the city. A decade ago, the entrance was still tall enough to let a man on horseback enter. Now not even a man could enter. edit
- 4x4 Off Roading. edit
- Beach. edit
- Relax, Unwind, Enjoy Nature. edit
- Sandboarding. edit
- Cailian Grill, (along Bacarra Road). edit
- Cristine's Miki. edit
- Dap-Ayan. try the Laoag Empanada along Rizal Street near Provincial Capitol edit
- Dawang's, San Nicolas (along national highway from laoag to manila, to your left abwt 300 meters after robinsons), ☎ 09281456708. try their crispy dinuguan edit
- La Preciosa, (along Rizal Street near Ablan Avenue). edit
- Macy's Diner, Gen Segundo Ave. cor M.H. del Pilar St. (Coming from the Sinking Bell Tower: Walk northbound for approx 200 meters (2 small blocks).), ☎ (63)(77)770-3551. 8:00 - 20:00. An American 1950's inspired restaurant. Serves most of your favorite American, Chinese, & Filipino foods. As low as Php 79 per meal. edit
- Saramsam, (along Rizal Street Infront of Texicano Hotel). edit
- basi (Iloco Wine). edit
Giannis - along Mckinley Street, Brgy 10, behind Provincial Capitol. Giannis offers great food, ambiance, music and vibe.
Try their baby back ribs (no MSG) with Giannis fried rice.
- herencias cafe, paoay ilocos norte. try pinakbet and dinuguan pizza edit
- Cortez Lodging, Barangay 7, A.G.Tupaz Avenue. The fan room with shared bathroom can be rent for PHP 400 for 24 hours and PHP 250 for 12 hours (Nov 2015). The beds are rock hard. The place is not very clean. It specializes in 3 hour rentals so you might not get a decent sleep. Only recommended if you're on tight budget. edit
- Gertes Resort, Brgy. Balatong, ☎ (+63) (077) 786 - 10 53, . The hotel offers air-conditioned accommodation rooms, all equipped with cable TV, Wi-Fi connectivity, telephone, and also comes with complimentary breakfast. Some of its facilities are Gertes Restaurant, Bare n' Bloom Spa, swimming pools, and business center. Rates on official website start at PHP 900.00. edit
- Hotel Tiffany, Gen. Segundo Ave Cor. M.H. del Pilar St., ☎ +(63)(77)770-3550, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Offers 24 guestrooms, all of which have air-conditioned, cable television, and private toilet and bath. Some of its amenities include high-speed Internet access, room service, and wake-up call. Best rates on official website start at PHP 1170. edit
- Ilocos Rosewell Hotel, Brgy.1, San Francisco National High-Way San Nicolas, ☎ (077) 670-6528, . Offers 22 air-conditioned guestrooms, all of which have cable TV, free Wi-Fi, mini-bar, and a telephone. Some of its amenities include massage service, laundry and dry cleaning, wake-up call, and airport and city transfers. Best rates on official website start at PHP 1,200. edit
- Isabel Suites, Bacarra Road, Laoag City (beside Jollibee Bacarra road), ☎ (+63 (077) 770-4998 ; +63 (077) 771-1900, . edit
- Java Hotel, Bacarra Road 55-B, Salet (Fariñas Caltex Station), ☎ (+632) 246-1010, . A hospitable place with touches of Balinese, Moroccan, and Spanish style decoration. Both offers rooms, suites, and dormitory-type quarters. Rates start at PHP 1980. edit
- Renzo Hotel, Brgy.19, Santa Marcela, Rizal cor. Guerrero Street, Laoag City, ☎ Tel +63 (077) 770-4898 ; +63 (077) 770-5288 Fax +63 (077) 607-0861, . edit
- Playa Tropical Hotel Ilocos, Barangay Victoria, Ilocos Norte , Philippines, . A Balinese inspired hotel located in the heart of Currimao, 25 minutes from Laoag Int'l Airport and 45-1hr away from Vigan. The hotel has a seafront view of calm waves and fine sand beaches where you can do water sports activities like kayaking, pedal boating and skim boarding. Php3800.00. edit
- Plaza Del Norte Hotel & Convention Center, Barangay 41, Balacad, ☎ (632) 812-3456 loc 3529, . Their Laoag hotel accommodation has 100 guestrooms and 24 dormitories. All rooms are equipped with free WIFI access and air conditioning. Some of its facilities and services are garden, swimming pool, restaurant, function & meeting facilities, coffee shop, room service, airport transfer and tours. edit
Paoay Church and Belltower
One popular and nearby attraction is Paoay, which houses the Paoay Church and Belltower. Paoay is easily accesible by jeepney from Laoag (P35) in less than 40 minutes. The jeepneys depart from the Paoay Terminal, just ask around for the location.