|Lake Yojoa (Lago de Yojoa) is the largest natural lake in Honduras with a surface area of 79 km² (30.49 mi²) and an elevation of 700 m (2,297 ft).
Lake Yojoa from the east shore
The lake is located off the highway between Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula. Bus and car are the only options for getting there.
From San Pedro Sula:
--To destinations on the northwest side of the lake (including Peña Blanca, Los Naranjos, and D&D Brewery): take the El Mochito bus. This bus leaves hourly from the central bus terminal in San Pedro Sula.
--To destinations on the northwest or south of the lake (including Cerro Azul Meambar National Park [PANACAM], Honduyate, or the Taulable Caves, take a Tegucigalpa bus.
--To destinations on the northwest side of the lake (including Peña Blanca, Los Naranjos, and D&D Brewery): Take a San Pedro Sula bus, then get off in La Guama. In La Guama, take the bus to Peña Blanca. For D&D Brewery, take a motortaxi (normal 15 Lps. p. person, but max 60 Lps.) or the El Mochito bus (5 Lps.)
The Lake Yojoa region is one of the safest in Honduras, especially on the northwest side of the lake. Hitchhiking to and from Pulhapanzak is acceptable and to-and-from Peña Blanca to D&D Brewery. Otherwise, local buses, motortaxis, collective taxis, and buses run frequently.
- Pulhapanzak Waterfall, a beautiful set of falls, popular with Honduran and foreign tourists alike. Great for spotting macaws. Small armadillo population lives on the banks below the falls. 60 Lps. entry for foreigners, 150 Lps. to go behind the falls on a guided tour where you can enter a cave and jump into pools below for an incredible adrenaline rush.
- Sport fishing After years of over-fishing the black bass popultion in the lake has again returned to sufficient levels. Bring your own equipment or join a tour with one of the hotels.
- Honduyate Marina has sailboats and other water activities.
- Hiking PANACAM (Blue-Amber Ridge National Park): very nicely developed park run by an NGO. You can stay in the park for $40 per night per room. Trails are well marked, so you won't need to hire a guide. You can also go and hike there for the day for $7. To get there, catch a bus from La Guama to Santa Elena. Tell the driver you want him to take you to Los Pinos, it'll cost you an extra $8.
- Waterfall Trail Day Hike, . Spend your day hiking through the beautiful foothills of Santa Barbara Mountain National Park, visiting 3 remote waterfalls. Organized by D&D Adventures based out of D&D Brewery. edit
- Fried Tilapia from Lake Yojoa with fried plantains (tajadas). Available at more than 50 restaurants on the eastern side of the lake along the main highway, CA-5.
- Microbrew at D&D Brewery, Lodge, and Restaurant. The first microbrewery in Honduras, on the north west side of the Lake.
- Cider also at D&D, the first "hard cider" in Honduras.
- Espresso at El Dorao Cafe located in Peña Blanca about 2 blocks up from the main intersection
- La Posada at Honduyate Marina
- Hotel Finca Las Glorias (former glory, and been known to threaten guests - armed)
- D&D Brewery, Lodge, and Restaurant, (From SPS, take an El Mochito bus from the Grand Terminal. From Tegucigalpa, bus to La Guama, then bus to Peña blanca and taxi or bus to Los Naranjos. After football field on the right, second right hand turn and 300m further), ☎ 504-9994-9719 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 2:00pm; checkout: 11:00am. Camping, dorms, private rooms, and cabins. Lush garden with orchids, citrus, swimming pool, a fire-pit surrounded by Adirondack chairs for cool evenings, and more. Good restaurant with local and international dishes and, of course, hand-crafted beer brewed on site. Birding trips on the lake (Lps. 350) with excellent local guides. All rooms have been fully renovated. There are always a good mix of travelers, volunteers and teachers in Honduras, and locals. Dorm: $6.50, Private w/shared bath: $12.50 (1 person), $15 (2 people), Private w/private bath: $15 (1 person) $17.50 (2 people), Cabins from $35. (+14° 56′ 47.51″,-88° 2′ 17.02″) edit
- El Cortijo Del Lago, (Turn off the Tegucigalpa-San Pedro Sula highway at La Guama towards Pena Blanca, go 2 km. turn left at the El Cortijo del Lago sign. By bus, get off at La Guama and catch a bus going to Pena Blanca), ☎ (504) 9906-5333, . Basic accommodations, but beautifully situated on the lake and very quiet. Great for birdwatching. Bring bug spray and wear it. Nice screened-in restaurant and friendly owners. edit
The region in and around Lake Yojoa is one of the safest in all of Honduras, if not all of Central America. Travelers will find that locals are willing to offer rides in the back of their trucks for free and will often invite tourists into their homes for a cup of local (albeit sugary) coffee.
Travelers should avoid walking down the main highway of CA-5 as there have been many pedestrian deaths in recent years due to irresponsible driving on the shoulders of the road by cars attempting to pass slow-moving tractor trailers.