Rawai (หาดราไวย์ Hat Rawai) is a seafront village in Phuket. The north part of Rawai is known as Hat Mittraphap (หาดมิตรภาพ), and has some beachfront, while the southern portion is the urban area and a port called Laem Ka (แหลมกา).
Rawai is located at the southern tip of Phuket. It is much less touristy than nearby Kata and Patong beaches and an excellent place to experience some real Thai culture. This palm-fringed beach is best known for sea gypsies, a formerly nomadic fishing minority believed to be of Melanesian descent.
To get here, take a songteow from Phuket Town (see where the beach songteows run from in that section). Will cost about B40 to get there.
Along with Chalong, Rawai is one of Phuket's two main ports and has connections to many of Phuket's islands.
Rawai is quite spread out and a scooter is highly recommended. The longer your hire period, the cheaper it becomes and is possible to hire one for around 120 baht/day. Otherwise expect to pay 150-200 baht/day depending on the type of scooter.
- Divetainer (Event Swimming Pool), Rawai Beach, ☎ +66979243483, . 2pm to 6pm. Divetainer is a new attraction at Rawai Beach. The only event swimming pool in Thailand for underwater weddings, underwater photoshoots, try scuba diving, mermaid swimming and corporate events built in a authentic Thai restaurant. edit
- Phuket Sea Shell Museum (พิพิธภัณฑ์เปลือกหอยภูเก็ต). The emphasis is on shells from Thai waters, which are among the most sought-after by collectors, however shells from every part of the world are featured. There are numerous rarities and freaks including the world's largest golden pearl (140 karats), large sections of sedimentary rock containing shell fossils, and a shell that weighs 250 kilograms. The museum is open daily from 08:00 till 17:30. Admission is 200 baht for adults and 100 baht for children. Tel: 0 7661 3666, 0 7661 3777, 0 7661 3678
- Laem Ka (หาดแหลมกา) Just south of the Phuket Island Resort Hotel and north of Rawai Beach is a small rocky bay, popular with Thais at the weekend.
- Ko Kaeo (เกาะแก้ว) Ko Kaeo is an offshore isle about 3 kilometres out from Rawai beach and can be reached in 30 minutes by boat. It offers picturesque beaches and underwater scenery. There is also a replica of the Holy Footprint on the island.
- Prom Thep Cape, Tambon Rawai. 24 hours. Literally translated as "God's Cape", the Prom Thep Cape is one of the islands most notable natural landmarks and lies to the far south, around 2 km/1.5 mi from Rawai Beach. With high cliffs and uninterrupted views, Prom Thep is most famous for its dramatic sunsets, which regularly attract crowds. Close to the cape's peak you will find a small and interesting shrine, which features a number of wooden elephants. There is a fine Thai restaurant not far away from this. edit
Rawai Beach itself is only used to moor fishing boats, long tail boats and speed boats, used for diving, snorkelling and sightseeing trips to Phuket's neighboring islands. In mid-2007 the new pier opened. It is not used for boats, but makes a nice walking/fishing pier.
There is a Sea Gypsy Village just north of the pier with shops and longtail boats for rent, and lots of seafood restaurants on the waterfront. This is where Phuket Town comes on the weekend for a beach party. There are a few popular cocktail bars on the beach for a limited but fun night life.
Rawai is a great starting point for half day activities such as Scuba Diving, Snorkelling and Sightseeing. The shallow seabed allows boat only to go out during high tide. The usual time frame is about 4 hours to get also back to shore safely.
- Rebreather-Thailand, 87/18 Moo2 Rawai, Muang, Phuket, 83130 (Rebreather Diving, Rebreather Courses), ☎ +66 (0) 97 924 3483 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . The Rebreather specialists in Thailand. edit
- Aloha Diving, 87/18 Moo2 Rawai, Muang, Phuket, 83130 (Scuba Diving, Courses, Snorkeling and Liveaboard), ☎ +66 (0) 97 924 3483 (email@example.com), . Boutique Dive Center serving hole Phuket. edit
- Rawai Muay Thai . A busy, well respected training camp where there are always many foreign students there to learn Muay Thai (Thai boxing).
- Lion Muay Thai . The fastest growing camp in Phuket. Train among world champion fighters in beautiful surroundings. (Thai boxing).
- Chocolate Restaurant and Bar, Rawai Beach, . Authentic Thai Seaview Restaurant and Bar serving delicious Thai food and international food at affordable prices. edit
- Mae Klong Sea Food (แม่คล่อง ซีฟู๊ด), Rawai Beach, ☎ +66 763 81 299. edit
- Nikita's Beach Restaurant, 44 Viset Rd (on Rawai beach), ☎ +66 76 288 703, . 10:00-24:00. Nikitas waterfront dining. Fresh seafood, international food, wood-fired pizza. 150 baht. edit
- Phromthep Cape Restaurant, 96/6 Moo 6 Vuses Rd, Rawai Beach (out of town high up on the cape near lookout), ☎ +66 76 288 656. edit
- Sala Loi (ศาลาลอย), Rawai Beach, ☎ +66 76 381 297. edit
- Suan Son Seafood (สวนสน ซีฟูด), Hat Rawai, ☎ +66 76 288 028. edit
- Tiffany Restaurant and Coffee Shop, 43/87 Moo 7, Rawai (on the main road), ☎ +66 857 866 272 . 08:00-12:00. European style buffet breakfast for 149 baht. Fresh coffee edit
- Gypsy @ Rawai B.B.Q., 117/3 Wiset Rd. Rawai Muang Phuket (On the South of Rawai on Wiset Road end and on the left of the walking bridge), ☎ 0819785989. 11am-9pm. Gypsy @ Rawai B.B.Q. is located in a Gypsy Village right in-front of the sea. The Gypsies, were once a nomadic fishing community have set up a fresh sea food market where they sell their catch of the day. You buy your live crabs, lobsters, shell fish, oysters, fresh prawns and fish from the fisherman or venders and we will prepare them for you.The restaurant offers a beachside seafood feast coupled with a few cold drinks can easily stretch out into a relaxing afternoon. Our cooking prices are very reasonable and we also have a full menu with Thai and Western dishes. You must try this experience when you visit Phuket to complete this holiday that only Gypsy @Rawai BBQ can offer B50-100. edit
- Raw Cafe by Atsumi, 99/1 Moo 7 (Wiset Rd), Rawai district, (On main Viset Rd, almost opposite Vijitt Resort), ☎ +6676289224, . 09:00-20.30. Phuket's Premier Raw Food Restaurant. Selling cheesecakes, smoothies, juices, pizzas, lasagna, sushi, soups - all raw vegetarian or raw vegan. Set in green surroundings with large garden to the rear with undercover seating. Free Wifi. Recommended. edit
Rawai has numerous bars along the seafront; they close at 02:00. Clubs/discos such as Laguna stay open past 02:00 every night and are popular with local bar girls when they finish work.
- Laguna Plaza, Bars and Nightclub, Viset Rd (next to SCB Bank). A complex of themed bars, open every night 18:00-dawn. A great place to have a few drinks, play some pool or just chill out and listen to some music before the adjoining Laguna Club opens its doors at 02:00 where tourists and locals party until the sun comes up.
Offshore, Ko Kaeo also has a few nightspots.
- Blue Marina Discotheque (บลู มาริน่า ดิสโก้เธค) Ko Kaeo, Tel: 08 1539 3386 (Vibrant Discotheque)
- Chili Pub Restaurant (ชิลลี่ ผับ เรสเตอร์รอง) Ko Kaeo
- Keeree Guest House is not actually at the beach,but is on the way there, about 2km distant.
It is like a block of flats (apartments), and is very clean and well appointed.
It is on the right hand side of the road coming from Phuket Town. Is a B40 songteow ride from there. It is quite close to the Mangosteen Resort, (which is a few hundred metres back towards Phuket.)Look for the Mangosteen resort sign on the right as you come to the top of the hill out of a line of shops at the bottom, and it is a couple of hundred metres further along, over the crest of the hill.
There is a laundry onsite.
Room only is B600.
There is no restaurant onsite, but there are plenty along the road at the bottom of the hill further south a couple of hundred metres.
- Villa Salika, . Designed in contemporary Asian design, the villa supplies stylish and comfy accommodation for up to 12 persons, overlooking Chalong Bay and within simple reach of stunning beaches and all the tourist attractions that Phuket offers. from USD 850. edit
- Phu NaNa Boutique Hotel (Phu NaNa Boutique Hotel), 43/234 Moo 7 T.Rawai A, ☎ +66 762266734, . checkin: 02.00; checkout: 12.00. next to the two beaches of Nai Harn and Rawai within a very quiet area, 17 rooms spread over 1 floors provide a warm and pleasant home away from home and modern comforts From USD 60. edit
- Ko Bon island is 10 minutes away by boat and has a good beach, restaurant, and a unit of the Evason Hotel.
- Nai Harn beach is only a few minutes away by scooter or taxi or local bus and is one of the nicest beaches on the island.