For the La Unión province of El Salvador, see La Unión Department, El Salvador.
La Union is a province in the Ilocos Region of the Philippines.
White Tricycles in La Union
- Basic Ridge, Located 9 kilometers northeast of San Fernando town proper through the Imperial Army in the province. The Ridge constituted the East Flank of the 121st Infantry of the United States Armed Forces in the Philippines, Northern Luzon (USAFIP NL) during the Liberation in 1945
This 101 hectares of base land located at the end of Poro Point in San Fernando was acquired in 1903 for the United States Cavalry.
It was the home of the 848th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron which provided logistics and administrative support to other radar detachments under its chain of command.
Formally turned-over by the United States to the Republic of the Philippines on September 16, 1991, the Bases conversion Development Authority is overseeing the plans for the conversion of the area into a prime tourism and industrial estate.
- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Built as a tribute to the heroism of the soldiers who fought during the last World War, the marker stands at the junction leading to the Poro Point.
- Battle of San Fernando Marker. Situated at the northwestern portion of the Town Plaza, inscribed is an account of how the Battle was started and won ebabling the establishment of the United States Army Base Base M at Poro Point which was eventually used as a build up area for the projected invasion of Japan. San Fernando is 264 kilometers north of Manila.
- Luna Watchtower. This rotund structure built along the shore in Luna during the Pre-Spanish time was used as look-out point for impending attacks by pirates.
- Baroro Bridge Marker. The siege of Baroro in Bacnotan started the operation to liberate San Fernando. This marked the first victory of the Luzon Guerrillas over a Japanese armed unit before the American Liberation forces landed on Luzon. The marker stands at the southern approach of the briedge approximately 14 kilometers north of San Fernando.
- USAFIP, NL Military Shrine and Park. Camp Spencer, the general headquarters of the USAFIP, NL located along Darigayos Cove in Luna is reserved as a Military Shrine and Park by virtue of Proclamation 590 signed by President Fidel V. Ramos on June 1, 1995. Darigayos is approximately 34.2 kilometers north of San Fernando accessible through the Bitalag Junction in Bacnotan or through Balaoan
Ilocano is the common dialect.
The residents of the coastal barangay of Sto. Tomas and Rosario also speak Pangasinense while the cultural communities in the towns bordering the Cordillera speak Ibaloi or Kankanacy. English and Filipino remain as basic tools of instruction in schools.
Bus run 24h a day (at least one a hour) from Manila, Dau Terminal near Clark Airport(around 4h),and Vigan.
Several buses run during the day from Baguio(less than 2h).
- Learn to surf on the black volcanic sand beaches of La Union. While the waves aren't Hawaii by any stretch of the imagination, the gently sloping beaches provide a steady supply of trainer waves. Seasoned surfers will yawn and stay in the bar. It's 200php/hour for board rental at Seabay, San Juan (Jeepney from San Fernando to Seabay is 10php)
- Go Diving!
- Thunderbird Resort Poro Point, VOA Compound, Pennsylvania Avenue, San Fernando City, 2500 La Union, Philippines, ☎ (+6372) 888-7777, . Experience pure pleasure at the paradise of the North — Thunderbird Resort Poro Point in San Fernando City, La Union, Philippines. All rooms have free Wi-Fi, HD LED TV, safety box, and pantry with coffee and tea making facilities. Enjoy life at its finest with our splendid array of facilities and helpful services such as restaurant, patio santorini, cafe, bar, pool bar, casino, the Cliffs Golf and Beach Club, spa, swimming pool, basketball area, water sports facilities, room service, massage service, concierge, laundry service, and 24-hour shuttle service. Best Available Rates on its website!. edit
- North Mandarin Hotel & Restaurant. Basic but clean. 300/350php fan wo/w(but no shower) WC. No wi-fi, only on the restaurant. edit
- The Blue House Apartments, Agoo, Barangay Sta. Barbara, Agoo, La Union, ☎ 072 682 0995, . Vacation apartments near the beach in southern La Union with wifi, cable and kitchettes. Suitable for families P750 up. edit