Kuopio is one of the many Finnish towns founded under Swedish rule. The town was established as a village in the 1500s and incorporated as a City in 1782. Kuopio is surrounded by lakes from three sides, which supplies loads of beaches and the feeling of water being always close. Part of the wooden houses arranged as a grid have been preserved in the centre which makes it a nice place to visit. Kuopio has a population of around 100,000.
- Airplane - One hour's flight from Helsinki. Kuopio Airport (IATA: KUO; ICAO: EFKU) is located 14km north of Kuopio and most flights have bus connection to city centre. Fares €5 adults, 2,5€ children. Taxi to city centre costs €18. Airport served by Finnair and FlyBe.
- Train - about 4-5 hours from Helsinki. Tickets and timetables information VR
- Bus - good connections from all directions. Timetables, rates and tickets information Matkahuolto, Pohjolan Liikenne and Onnibus
- Car - national main road 5 from Helsinki and main road 9 from Turku.
Kuopio has a good system of public transport. You can ride from one part of the city to another with a single ticket of 2.90€, kids 1.4€. Kauppatori is the center of Kuopio's public transport system, but be aware that many bus lines go in both directions from Kuopio. You can use interactive route planner  to find bus routes.
- 1-turn ticket workdays:2,9€ adults/1,4€ children 4-11 years
- 1-turn ticket Sundays: 3,8€ adults/1,8€ children 4-11 years
- 11PM - 4AM ticket: 3,8€ adults/1,8€ children 4-11 years
- 24h ticket gives you unlimited travel 24h from the time of purchase. Buy from the bus. Prices: adults 7,5€ and children 3,8€
Information about lines (in Finnish): Kuopion liikenne 
- The Puijo Panorama Tower  lurks over the city on the highest hill far and wide. From here you have a stunning view over the neighbouring lakelands.
- The Orthodox Church Museum  is a leading museum of Orthodox Churches in Europe.
- The Old Town Centre is south east from the main square and you can just walk around following your feet.
- The Minna Canth House is the original house where the famous first Finnish female writer Minna Canth lived. Most noticeable it contains a replication of the Minna Canth room where she is said to have written some of her work.
- The Kuopio Quarter-Block Museum  in the old town has plenty of old buildings done up in their original style 150 years ago containing also a pharmacy museum and most enchantingly a little history of Wonderous Healers in Eastern Finland of which still two or three exist and offer their service to believing people today!
- The Kuopio Shopping Hall  Over 20 local stallholders. Located at market square. Opening hours: mon-fri 8-17 and Saturdays 8-15.
- The Victor Barsokevitsch Photographic Centre, Kuninkaankatu 14–16, 70100 Kuopio, ☎ +358(0)17-261 5599, . The VB Photographic Centre is dedicated to display high-class Finnish and foreign photography. The Centre is housed in an idyllic wooden building that is more than 100 years old and located in the heart of the Old City of Kuopio in Eastern Finland. The VB Photographic Centre is regarded as one of the major photographic galleries and research centres of the country. During the summer, the Centre organizes well-known international exhibitions. Opening hours During summer months (June-August) Mon-Fri 10am - 6pm, Sat-Sun 11am - 4pm Winter (September-May) Tue-Thu-Fri 11am - 5pm, Wed 11am -7pm, Sat-Sun 11am - 3pm edit
- Passenger Boat Cruises on Lake Kallavesi are worth trying during the summer season (June-August).
- Rauhalahti Spa ,  offers large indoor and outdoor swimming pools, a jacuzzi, an ice-cold pool, a children's pool, a waterslide, saunas and a steam room.
- Kuopio Rock  is annually arranged rock music festival.
- Kuopio Marathon 
- Finland Ice Marathon 
- Artiko, Haapaniemenkatu 12, Art handicrafts, gifts and utility items.
- DaigaDaigaDuu, Puijonkatu 12, Hand made clothes, records, comic books, 60's and 70's second hand shop, minigallery.
- Daxhund Ceramics, Itkonniemenkatu 25,
- Pentik Pentik, Kauppakatu 32, stoneware
- Hallin käsityökammari, Market Hall, Local handicrafts and gifts
- Kalakukko fish pie, Kasarmikatu 15, The best-known speciality in the province of Savo is probably the ‘kalakukko’ fish pie. Once you have tasted warm ‘kalakukko’, it is hard to resist. The best places for shopping for a genuine ‘kalakukko’, consisting vendace or perch and bacon baked inside a rye crust, are the Market Hall and the Marketplace. In addition, the bakery shop of Kalakukkoleipomo Hanna Partanen, boasting a long tradition in the field, is open Mon-Sat 06.00-21.00.
- Pikku-Pietari Market Alley, Only a stone's throw form the Marketplace is the idyllic Pikku-Pietari Market Alley, lined by old stables. The log buildings of the alley house a cafe with a terrace, art exhibitions and small boutiques. Handwork demonstrations weekly.
- Sauna Nestor Special shop for sauna products in the Market Hall.
- Matkus Shopping Center, Matkuksentie 60 (Bus line 31 from the city center), . A brand-new shopping mall opened fully in 2012. Located about 10 kilometers south of the city along the highway 5, features an IKEA and 90 stores, most major international and local brands in Finland. Also offers a variety of places to eat, though nothing particulary fancy. edit
The local specialty kalakukko, a type of rye bread pie stuffed with fish (the name literally means "fish rooster"), is available from the Main Square outdoor market and in several food shops. You should also try fried vendace (muikku, a fresh-water fish) at local restaurants.
The well-known Kukkonen Bakery, in operation since the 1920s, has been closed in May 2005.
- Restaurant Sampo, Kauppakatu 13. Tasty fried small whitefish in a pub-like atmosphere, a real classic in Kuopio.
- Restaurant Musta Lammas, Satamakatu 4. "Black Sheep" in english, the best restaurant in town, fine dining, pretty expensive.
- Restaurant Wanha Satama, Passengerharbour (summer only) 
- Restaurant Kummisetä, Minna Canthinkatu 44 
- Viking Restaurant Harald Tulliportinkatu 44 
- Restaurant Peräniemen Kasino , Väinölänniemi. Wooden lakeside restaurant and terrace since 1902. Beautiful and peaceful scenery. Open July and for private occasions from May to December.
Alko is the national alcoholic beverage retailing monopoly in Finland. Essentially, it is the only store in the country which retails beer over 4.7% ABV, wine (except in vineyards) and spirits. Alcoholic beverages are also sold in licensed restaurants and bars to ages 18 and up. Alko is required by law to sell drinks with lower alcohol content than 4.7% and non-alcoholic alternatives, but in practice carries a very limited stock of low alcohol beer, cider and non-alcoholic drinks and mixers as supermarkets sell the same products at a lower price.
- Alko Kuopio Kolmisoppi Kolmisopentie 3
- Alko Kuopio Petonen Jalkasenkatu 5
- Alko Kuopio Prisma Savilahdentie 10
- Alko Kuopio Päiväranta Päivärannantie 18
- Alko Kuopio Sokos Haapaniemenkatu 24-26
- Trube Markethall-caffee, Markethall
- Burts Cafee, Haapaniemenkatu 20
- Café Fado, Puijonkatu 15
- Cafe Houkutus, Kauppakatu 36
- Cafe Kaneli, Kauppakatu 22
- Café Kolibri, Kappakatu 16-18
- Cafe Sektori, Puijonkatu 23
- Coffee House, Haapaniemenkatu 24-26
Bar's & pub'sEdit
- Ale pupi, Kappakatu 16
- Armas, Kauppakatu 18
- Beerhouse Pannuhuone 25-27
- Gloria, Kauppakatu 16
- Intro Bar & Grill, Kauppakatu 20, A bar and a restaurant in Kuopio centrum.
- Malja Beer and Wine Restaurant, Kauppakatu 29
- Restaurant Albatrossi, A storehouse-restaurant in Kuopio harbour. Open in the summer time.
- Restaurant Apteekkari, Kauppakatu 1, A pub and club restaurant for adults in the city centre.
- Henry's Pub, Kappakatu 18, A pub in the city centre. Rockmusic, live bands.
- Kummisetä, Minna Canthinkatu 44, A restaurant in the city centre, popular among adult people.
- K-Klubi, Vuorikatu 14, More alternative pub in Kuopio center, has for example punk and proge gigs.
- Bar & nightclub Onnela, Vuorikatu 18
- Passion Nightclub
- Grand Virtanen
- Best Western Atlas Hotel 
- Best Western Hotel Savonia 
- Finlandia Hotelli Jahtihovi 
- Hotel Cumulus Kuopio 
- Hotel Puijo Koto, . Located near Puijo Ski stadium, not very far from the city center. Reasonably priced and cosy.
- Hotel Puijon Maja
- Rauhalahti Spa Hotel, . Offers rooms and a swimming pool department (indoor and outdoor pools, a jacuzzi, an ice-cold pool, a children's pool, a waterslide, saunas and a steam room).
- Holiday Centre Rauhalahti, . Has nice cottages or holiday homes (11 also for winter use). The holiday centre is situated very near to Rauhalahti Spa.
- Hotel Viihdekartano
- Lokki Summer Hotel
- Quality Hotel IsoValkeinen
- Scandic Kuopio 
- Sokos Hotel Puijonsarvi 
- Apartment Hotel Kuopio 
- Youth Hostel Virkkula (Retkeilymaja Virkkula), .
Locally published newspapers include:
- Kuopio Tourist Information,  Kuopio Regional tourist information, Haapaniemenkatu 22
- Puijo Slopes / Puijo & Antikkala,  Only 1,5 km from the city centre.
- Kymppiareena,  Distance from Kuopio 37 km The only ski and multipurpose sports hall in the world built into rock lies below the Spa Hotel Vesileppis. The skiing, biathlon and curling facilities are available 12 months a year. For children there is also a snow play area. Services: hotel, spa, restaurant, pub, cafe, meeting rooms, gym, squash, indoor ice rink, physiotherapy, Kymppi Areena
- Tahkovuori or Tahko,  Tahko is a strong Finnish tourist center, both during winters and summers. It is situated in a small town named Nilsiä, about 70 kilometers from the city of Kuopio.
Local international churches:
- Kuopio church international  International friendship group provides activities: learn English, bible study groups, camps and sport events.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|