View over the Sylva river from the city center
Kungur (Russian: Кунгу́р koon-GOOR) is a city in Perm Krai, Russia.
Kungur is the oldest city of Perm Krai, founded in 1663. The population is approximately 60,000 people.
Bus is the easiest way to get to Kungur from Perm.
AV Perm operates buses from Perm bus station every 15-30 minutes during the day. The journey takes 2 hours and costs RUB200.
See also: Trans-Siberian Railway
Trans-Siberian trains stop at Kungur.
RZD operates several long distance express trains from Perm-II station in Perm. The journey takes 90 minutes and costs RUB250-500. Trains leave in the early morning, afternoon, and evening.
Suburban elektrischa trains depart Perm II station for Kungur. These trains are cheaper than the RZD trains and the buses but are painfully slow and will limit your time if you plan to visit Kungur on a day trip.
There are at least two information boards with a map of the city. One is near the railway station, the other one is near the park on the crossing of Sovetskaya and Gogol streets.
Local buses have routes and schedules posted at most stops.
- Theotokos of Tikhvin Church
- Fire Pot Monument
- Centre of The Universe Sculpture
- Park of Aeronauts
Entrance to Kungur ice cave
- Kungur Ice Cave (Kungurskaya Cave), in Filippovka, across the Sylva river (A 3.2km/40 minute sign-posted walk from the railway station. Can also be reached by taking minibus #9 from the railway station or take a taxi for RUB150), ☎ 7(34271) 6-26-10 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 10AM-10PM. Kungur Ice Cave is a karst cave discovered in 1703. It is one of the biggest caves in the world and the only cave in Russia equipped for excursions. You can enter the cave only on a guided tour, which takes approximately 90 minutes and involves 1.5km of walking. Regular tours start every two hours on the hour. According to the legend, if a woman falls in a certain part of the cave, she is soon to be married. RUB500. (57.44110,57.00480) edit
- Hotel Irene, ul. Lenina, 30, ☎ +7 342 713-22-63, . edit
- Hotel Stalagmite @ Kungur Ice Caves, . A run down hotel but it is next to the ice caves. Double: RUB1,400. edit