Although larger that its northern neighbour, Kundur is much less developed and more laid back. Tanjung Batu, the main town, has a busy waterfront and a couple of streets lined with shops.
Once mostly a destination for cheap sex and gambling, a crackdown has put an end to most of it. For those who prefer less risque activities, Kundur is also popular for cycling trips.
For visa requirements to visit Kundur, please see the main Indonesia page.
Kundur's port of Tanjung Batu is NOT designated as a visa-free or visa-on-arrival entry point. Those requiring visas should get one beforehand. For visa-free nationalities, there does not seem to be a problem entering or leaving Indonesia via Tanjung Batu.
As Kundur does not have an airport, all visitors arrive by ferry. Most connections are with neighbouring islands, e.g. Tanjung Balai on Karimun, and the Sumatra "mainland". Direct ferry services to Singapore have been terminated, so you'll need to detour via Batam or Bintan.
From other Riau IslandsEdit
- The Miko Natalia 3 (Tel: +62-779-21922 in Tanjung Batu; +62-777-21207/31895 in Tanjung Balai; +62-778-321980 in Sekupang, Batam) links Tanjung Batu with Tanjung Balai, the main town on Karimun Island several times daily. Between Tanjung Batu and Tanjung Balai, tickets cost Rp. 46,000 one-way before port taxes. Journey time is over one hour, longer if stops are made at islands along the way.
- The Marina Batam also operates this route.
To/from Karimun Island only:
- The Ocean Indoma operates ferries between Tanjung Batu and Tanjung Balai twice a day.
- One daily speedboat operated by SB Giam Mas (Tel: +62-779-431589 in Tanjung Batu) departs daily from Tanjung Batu at 0745 for Tanjung Pinang, the main town on Bintan. The boat returns to Tanjung Batu on the same day, departing Tanjung Pinang at 1200. The boat has scheduled stops at Galang Island and Moro on Sugibawah Island, while unscheduled stops may be made at various little settlements along the way. Journey time is about two and a half hours each way. The fare from Tanjung Batu to Tanjung Pinang and vice-versa is Rp 130.000 before port taxes. On the other hand, Tanjung Batu to Galang/Rempang costs Rp 95.000, Moro to Galang/Rempang costs Rp 50.000. From Tanjung Pinang to Moro is Rp 95.000, Galang/Rempang is Rp 45.000.
Angkuts (minivans) link Tanjung Batu with various towns on Kundur Island such as Sawang, Selat Belia and Prayun. Most of these vans leave from the market in Tanjung Batu.
There are also many ojeks (motorcycle taxis) waiting at various intersections in Tanjung Batu.
Tanjung Batu itself is small enough to be covered on foot.
One would not describe Tanjung Batu, the main town on Kundur, as pretty or charming, unlike Tanjung Balai on Karimun which somehow has more atmosphere. Nevertheless, the town is very quiet and relaxed, except for the many ojek (motorcyle taxis) drivers who will constantly yell out to you and ask whether you want a ride (or, if you are a man, a woman!). The main commercial streets are Jalan Merdeka where the market is, and the shop-lined Jalan Jend Sudirman. The waterfront is also interesting with many boats loading and unloading goods. Just relax and enjoy the feeling of being in a timeless tropical port.
Most buildings here have an additional "bird house" on their roofs, housing thousands of swallows. The owners will harvest "birds nest" - a protein-rich gelatine-like substance formed from the saliva of the swallows - which is in high demand by the Chinese who consume them as a health supplement. See the some bird's nest building at Tanjung Batu 
- Cetiya Sasana Kitri (福朝廟) - at Jalan Usman Harun, unique red calabash in front of the temple differentiate it from others.
- Vihara Dharma Shanti Kundur (泰安廟) - have a stroll and enjoy the breeze in the late evening. Spacious, with tables and chairs. The door is painted with guardian deities, probably one of the great spot in the town.
- Masjid Raya Nurussalam
CEYIYA SWANA DIEPA
- Vihara Maitri Segara
Hop over to Pulau Belat.
Fishing, relax and karaoke at Hotel Gembira and Restaurant Gembira. In Tanjung Batu the best Hotel is Hotel Gembira now got facility Amazone Game Visit the wet market in the morning. Hive of actvity, where many fresh items are sold. Can see chicken slaughtered, and plucked clean. Fishes prepared fresh. Also,at the side of Vihara Dharmma Shanti,there has a Warnet called Polaris Computerindo for kids who love to play computer games like DOTA Allstars, Counter Strike, Ayo dance.
You can do shopping in Mini Market Gembira at Jl. Jend. Sudirman Komplek Gembira No. 18. Tel: +62-779-22235.
- Ah Kun's Saho Seafood Restaurant (三好海鲜煮炒), Jalan Usman Harun No. 16. Tel: +62-779-21289. Recommended by the locals.
- Toko abadi, located on Jalan Jendral Sudirman (just beside Masjid Raya) Contact number :(0779) 21265. Operating hours from 8a.m. till 6.pm.( except for Sunday).It is a bakery that sells a wide variety of cakes, and pastries. On top of these modern products, it also produces traditional ones, for example "la pia" ( pie made of lark) and of course the moon cake during the mid-autumnfestival. In addition, they do sell materials and ingredients for cake-making. It is a must-visit for all visitors!
For bottled drinking water get the local produced AVIGA spring water from PT. Citra Alam Sumber Wita costs Rp 2.000 for a 1500 ml bottle.
Heineken beer costs Rp 15.000 at Ah Kun's Saho Seafood Restaurant (三好海鲜煮炒) and Rp 17.000 at Hotel Gembira restaurant, respectively. The Restaurant Gembira the Place more Relaxing.
The most desired foods in Tanjung Batu is "bak kut teh", basically it's a dish served in claypot which contain pork's rib and its intestines. It's usually served with plain white rice, "cahkwe", and chopped chilli dipped in soy sauce. This special food has high nutrition value because it is cooked with chinese herbs. "Bak kut teh" usually cost around Rp 40.000 and most vendors only available in the morning.
- Wisma Lipo, Jalan Pemuda No. 3, Tanjung Batu, Pulau Kundur, Karimun 29162, Indonesia, ☎ +62-779-21076. Conveniently located next to the port and shops, it’s on your left immediately after you leave the port area. The corridors are dark and cavernous, the walls of the rooms need a coat of paint badly and the tables and closets are scarred with cigarettes butt marks. Toilets, although Indonesian style, are clean and have hot water. Rooms are air-conditioned and come with TV. Rooms from Rp 65.000. edit
- Hotel Pelangi, Jalan Pemuda, Tanjung Batu, Pulau Kundur, Karimun 29162, Indonesia, ☎ +62-779-217319, 431311, . It’s about 100m away from the ferry terminal. Walk straight ahead after leaving terminal until you reach a square to your left. The hotel is located at far end of square and it has been given a relatively good review. Budget Rp 80.000, Standard Rp 90.000, Deluxe Rp 120.000. edit
- Hotel Mataram, Jalan Usman Harun No. 7H, Tanjung Batu, Pulau Kundur, Karimun 29162, Indonesia, ☎ +62-779-21777. Located on a street facing a row of Chinese restaurants, parallel to Jl. Jend Sudirman. Owned by Hotel Gembira’s boss. edit
- Hotel Gembira, Jalan Usman Harun No. 18H, Tanjung Batu, Pulau Kundur, Karimun 29162, Indonesia, ☎ +62-779-21888. Easily the best hotel in town, it is a multi-storey building facing the water to the northeast of the town centre and has a huge restaurant on stilts over the water as well as a karaoke room. Not to be confused with the Hotel Taman Gembira which is in Sawang, outside Tanjung Batu. Standard Rp 110.000, mid-priced Rp 140.000, VIP Rp 190.000. edit
- Wisma Berlian, Kompleks Safari Indah, Jl. Usman Harun, Tanjung Batu, Pulau Kundur, Karimun 29162, Indonesia, ☎ +62-779-21666. Decent rooms include hot water and TV.Located near the busiest breakfast street in tanjung batu where you can find many kind of breakfast easily. Ekonomi Rp 90.000, Suite Rp 110.000 and VIP Rp 130.000. edit
- Wisma Hocky, Jl. Usman Harun, No. 65, Tanjung Batu, Pulau Kundur, Karimun 29162, Indonesia, ☎ +62-779-431456. Relatively new inn and remains popular since it’s operation started about one and half years ago. Run by friendly, helpful and informative staffs. The rooms come with strong air conditioning, hot shower and TV. It’s the best value of its kind. Rooms Rp 60.000 (normally Rp 10.000 discount will be given). edit
- Hotel Taman Gembira, Jl. Sawang Km 7.5, Pulau Kundur, Karimun 29162, Indonesia, ☎ +62-779-21333, 21468, ,21454, . Located outside of Tanjung Batu, and arguably the biggest hotel in Pulau Kundur. This hotel is a peaceful & exotic retreat for anyone. A perfect hide-away from mundane daily routines too! Chalet I Rp 65.000, Chalet II Rp 82.500, Basic room I Rp 130.000, Basic room II Rp 140.000, Basic room III Rp 150.000, Room I Rp 160.000, Room II Rp 240.000, Room III Rp 360.000, Room IV Rp 400.000, Room V Rp 600.000. edit
- Catch a ferry to Tembilahan or Kuala Tungkal in Jambi on the Sumatra mainland.
- Or if you need a bit more hustle and bustle, head to Tanjung Balai on Karimun.
See Get in section for ferry details.
The country code for Indonesia is 62. The area code for Tanjung Batu is 779.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|