Kumejima-chou (久米島町) is a town in Okinawa, Japan. It is also the name of the island where it is located.
Japan Transocean Air and Ryukyu Air Commuter operates daily flights from Naha to Kumejima Airport (30mins one way, JPN ￥10,000). The New Kumeshima Ferry Line also runs twice daily from Naha's Tomarin Port to Kumejima's Kanegusuku Port (departs 8:30am and 2:00pm, approximately 4 hours, ￥5,000 roundtrip). During the summer months of July and August, Japan Transocean Air also operates once a day flights direct to and from Tokyo's Haneda Airport.
Kumejima has an inconvenient but affordable bus sytem that runs around the entire island.
There are also a few car rental companies located at the airport and ferry port.
Some shops around town also offer bicycles and moped scooters available for rent.
- Hatenohama. Sandbar located 15 mins off of Kumejima. Accessible by tour boats, jet ski, or kayaks. Great for snorkeling. Kumejima's finest white sand beach and crystal clear blue waters. edit
- Uezu House. This traditional Okinawan style house was built in 1726. It is the former home of the governing parties during the Ryukyu Kingdom era. edit
- Uegusuku Castle. The castle ruins are located on the top the highest point in Okinawa, offering great views of the entire island, adjacent Hatenohama sandbar, and neighboring islands. edit
- Tatami Ishi. An arrangement of stones in pentagonal and hexagonal shapes, resembling a carapace. edit
- Eef Beach. Fine white sand beach named one of the 100 Best Beaches in Japan. edit
Kumejima offers various water and outdoor activities from scuba diving, snorkeling, ocean kayaking, boat tours, and other water sports.
- Island Diving, 098-985-8739, 
- Eef Marine Holiday, 098-985-7312, 
- Kumejima Marine Sports, 098-985-8648
- Kumejima Kaiyoreja Kyodokumiai, 098-896-8418
Ocean Kayaking and Water sports:
Please see Sleep for Eef Beach and Kume Island Resort contact information. Both resorts offer water sport activities.
There are a number of sourvenir gift shops (omiyage) selling local favorites from Kumejima Miso Cookies, various Kumejima salts, Kumejima tsumugi, Okinawan pottery, and Kumejima's Kumesen.
Most restaurants will have almost the same menu, specializing in local Okinawan cuisine such as Okinawan Soba, various champurus, and fresh local fish specialties.
Kumesen: Kumejima's famous awamori (Okinawan sake) offered at most restaurants
Spiral Reggae Bar: small hole in the wall bar/restaurant, also offering delicious Indonesian/Thai cuisines
- Kume Island Resort Hotel, 098-985-8001, . Luxury resort located a 1 minute walk from Eef Beach.
- Eef beach hotel, Eefu beach (east end of Eefu beach), ☎ 098-985-7111, . checkout: 11am. Luxury resort with western style ocean view rooms for 5000 yen per person including breakfast edit
- Marine Terrace Kumejima, 098-896-8100, . Mid-priced hotel from JPN 4,200 a night.
- Kumejima-Bekkan (久米島別館), 098-985-5333, . Japanese minshuku located near Kanegusuku Port from JPN 4,200 a night.
- Minshuku Amimoto, 098-985-8856, . Traditional style Japanese minshuku located on Ojima; rooms from JPN 3,675 a night.
- Dormitory Kumi, 090-4986-8899. Budget dormitory style hostel from JPN 1,800 a night.
- Cypress Hotels, 803-1, OHARA, KUMEJIMA-CHO SHIMAJIRI-GUN, OKINAWA, 901-3132, JAPAN. All rooms in this luxury hotel offer excellent ocean/beach view. It is located very close to the airport and has its own private beach, which is very quiet and clean. A drive from the port takes 15 minutes and free parking is offered. Book directly from the website (Use Google Translate if necessary) as their rate is significantly cheaper than external agencies. edit
- Kumejima Hari Races (Okinawan Boat Races): held on the first weekend in May
- Kumejima Matsuri (Festival): held on the first weekend in August; features live traditional Okinawan music and dance, as well as special guests from all over Okinawa; food booths, competitions, prizes; Kumejima's main event of the year
- Kumejima Marathon: held on the fourth Sunday of October; http://www.kumejima-marathon.com/